VFTT Winter Gathering 7.5: 1/14-17: Local Services

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaKroto

Reaction score
No Reading, MA Avatar: Crater Rim, Mt Rainier, 8/4
peakbagger started off a great list of services available in the vicinity of Barnes Field. I've organized it, and will keep it updated as people post their favorites (particularly eating establishmants)

Local Services in the area (all area code 603 unless toll free):
GEAR:
  • Boot rentals:Ragged Mountain in Bartlett (877-772-4433), EMS (356-5433) or IME (365-7064) in North Conway
    Camping and Winter Gear:
  • Moriah Sports (466-5050) – Main street Gorham, good high end selection, good source for local info. I do not believe he rents equipment.
  • Camping and Winter Gear – Gorham Hardware (466-2312) – Main street Gorham, good for some basic gear and for hardware to fix gear.
  • General Winter Gear - Labonville's (752-4030) - across from Walmart- Very heavy duty, warm gear, favorite supplier to loggers.
  • Snowshoe Rentals – 1) Wilderness Sports (466-9990) – Main street Gorham. I think she rents Yakima recreational shoes. 2) Great Glen Trails (466 - 2333). $15 a day.
  • XC Ski Gear:1) Great Glen Trails (466 - 2333). $18 a day. Light gear only
FOOD AND BEVERAGE STORES:
  • Supermarket – Shaw's (466-3402) on Rt 16 north in Gorham about 1 mile north of the traffic light where RT 16 north splits from RT 2 west
  • Walmart (752-4621) – Rt 16 north about 1.5 miles north of same traffic light
  • Cheap Beer – 1) Vashaw’s Variety (466-5008) – Main Street (not very good variety, but has Tuckerman's Pale Ale!), 2) Shaw’s Supermarkets has the best imports selection (still basic at best), 3) Glen Beverage Co (383-4800), Rt 16, Glen
  • State Liquor Store - 1) Main Street Gorham (466-3367) across from Mr Pizza, 2) Rt302/16 in Glen (383-9000), just before Red Parka Pub
RESTAURANTS:
  • Breakfasts – 1) Welch’s on main street, 2) Moonlight Café on Exchange street (site of the former Loaf Around bakery), 3) Pinkham's AMC Hut
  • Pub Fare, Pizza and Beer - Mr Pizza (466-5573) - main street Gorham
  • Great Lunches and Dinners - Northland Dairy Bar (752-3250) - Rt 16 north of Berlin (great choice for the Cabot hike!).
  • Gourmet - Libbys Bistro (466-5330) - favorite of many RMC'ers, the chef owner used to work with Julia Child. Reservations required, $100 for a couple is the norm.
HOSPITAL: Androscoggin Valley Hospital (752-2200) – It is on the north end of Berlin on Rt 16. Drive through downtown Berlin, past the pulp mill, past the Northern Forest Heritage Park and take a right across the river on the second bridge (the first green one is a pedestrian bridge). At the blinking light, go straight up the hill to the emergency room. The nearest hospital south of Barnes Field is in North Conway on Rt 16.

Last edited:
Sherpa Thanks organizing my notes. Heres a few more tidbits

Northland Dairy Bar does serve alcohol but it definitely is not a pub environment. There are two other establishments in Berlin that serve drinks but they are "locals" spots.

There are a couple of other bars in Gorham but they are mostly local hangouts. The Town and Country motel in Shelburne also has a lounge. Best bet is still Mr Pizza.

Sunday River Brewing east of Gorham on Route 2 about a half hour drive. (busy during ski season)

Mexican Food 20 minutes south on 16 then west on 302 for about a mile on the right. (busy during ski season)

Red Parka Pub 20 minutes south on Rt 16 then right onto 302 west, on left.(busy during ski season).

Wildcat Inn in Jackson has a good bar and great food.

There is also a big new restauraunt at the site of the old Iron Mountain house about 1/8 of a mile on the right after the covered bridge, I have not tried it but it seems to be popular, they advertise a big breakfast buffet.

"beverages"

At the 16/302 split, there is a beer distributor of some sort. Big yellow sign on the left, immediately as you turn onto Rte. 16 heading north. No clue what it is called, but they have an impressive array of "beverages", if anyone is thinking of having a drink or two!! :)

Peakbagger: I stayed away from adding the North Conway spots due to distance, and crowds (MLK weekend). Mr Pizza has always been a very nice spot, and I'll go to the Northland ANYTIME. Might be a good spot to head to for some Nansen XC.

Speaking of the Nansen ski trails, where do we get trail passes now? I always went to Ben's, but they are no more.

Michelle: I figured that you'd know the best beer distributor in Glen. I think it';s called the Glen Beverage Co, and it is immediately after the turn off Rt 302, heading North on Rt 16. There is also a State Liquor Store on Rt 302, just after Rt 16 turn, but before the Red Parka Pub

I added phone number when I knew them.