Wanted: NY AT hiking partners, SOON!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkL

Reaction score
Canton, NY. Avatar: Mt. Washington in Winter:
I'd like to do a good part of the NY section of the Appalachian Trail, from near Greenwood Lake to the Hudson and maybe beyond. I'd like to do it starting perhaps next Sunday, 1/11. I might even be able to get ready for this Tues thru Friday (1/6-9) I'm thinking of about 4 days and nights on the trail. I'm not sure how the incoming cold air will affect my plans. It will certainly keep the ticks at bay, eh?
I'd like to park my car where I plan to end up, and then go back to the starting point, but don't know the public transportation down there. So it would be good to have a buddy with a car so we could position and reposition cars as mileage, weather, and other factors suggest.
Is anyone interested, or does anyone have any suggestions?
One site said a lot of the ground water along the route is polluted. Does anyone have current info on the water situation?
Mark 4260W
Edit:
To hasten compatability assessment:

-I'm 49, and my knees reserve the right to veto any and all plans without warning. They've been pretty good so far this winter on 4 peaks.
-The last multi-day backpacking trip I did was in June. So I don't know what kind of mileage to expect from myself.
-I wrote "I'm thinking of about 4 days and nights on the trail.", implying straight backpacking. However, with 2 cars, we could set the cars ~20 miles or more apart and hit the trail with just day packs and make good time.
-I'm not happy about the predicted low temps, but I'll remind myself that this is a personal challenge rather than a t-shirt pleasure cruise.
-I've done enough winter hiking to complete 2 rounds of the 46, but realize that there are plenty of situations I haven't encountered. I've probably forgotten a thing or two about the things I have encountered.
-I was thinking of leaving my car about 40-50 trail miles from Rte 17A. I might make that distance easily, or I might be hard pressed. If hard pressed, I could stash the full pack, do a ~20 mile "dash" to the car, and drive back for the pack.

Last edited:
I probably am free on Thursday, 1/8. May join you for a stretch that day. I also could help you with car shuttling and transportation concerns on other days. I live in Warwick, not far from the AT and have hiked the AT from the Water Gap all the way to Jug End, MA and know the area well. Send me a personal message if you want any assistance.

Interested in the Ct + Mass AT?

I want to section hike those as I've only done small hikes in both states and it's better to do both before bug season. The mosquitos in Ct. are bad, at least near Rand's View, which is quite a nice place on the AT. I would also be interested in section hiking NJ.

I've already done the AT in NY with the exception of Section 1 by the Ct border. For the rest of the winter I'll probably be focusing most of my hikes towards the Catskills but am open to other outings in the tristate area. I have a car also and would be interested if you wanted to do some more of the AT after NY. Let me know. Thanks, Fred

Last edited: