Wittenberg-Cornell and Slide mountains (Catskills) 6-1-14 from Moon Haw rd.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hermit

Reaction score
Home-West Shokan N.Y.Avatar 35x12 Catskill grid pa
The route that we took started out from the end of Moon Haw rd.. The old Vanbenschoten trail rt. was named after the caretaker of the Moon Haw hunting lodge from the 1920's. Not many people use it anymore and it can be difficult to follow. It is one of the steepest trails in the Catskills on the upper sections.The vertical ascent to Wittenberg alone is close to 3000'. Round trip to Slide and back is close to 5000 vertical ascent. We encountered some nettles down low and a few blow downs. There are some red markers and cairns leading up the trail to the col where it intersects the state trail.The state trail is free of blow downs and was quite dry.It was a clear low humidity day and we took some pretty good pictures. My friend Linda was able to join me today. 2 years ago she joined me on this hike in 90 deg. plus weather and high humidity.This day the weather was much more comfortable.https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=110274937487305514320&target=ALBUM&id=6020075659827800129&authkey=Gv1sRgCJ-zp5TVl_CBeg&feat=emailHere are a few pictures f11 opens them up better.This year marks 50 years of hiking for me. I first climbed Wittenberg mountain with my older brother in 1964.

Last edited: