York Pond Rd question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerry13

Reaction score
Otter River, Mass Avatar: Leisurely winter hike o
I'm planning on doing Mt Cabot via YPR and Bunnel Notch Trail, Kilkenny, Unknown Pond Trail saturday. Reading Bob and Geri's site they seem to indicate there is only room for 3-4 cars at the trail head beyond fish hatchery. Is this all the parking there is? What other parking option is there at or near the trail head? Is available parking usually an issue there? Secondly, what is the condition of York Pond Rd? I have a car and truck. I would rather take my car, but it has low clearance. But if the road is washboard, usually muddy in areas or has low clearance issues I will take the truck. Thanks in advance for any info.

kerry
the parking area..literally at the start of the trail is room enough for the three vehicles or so...u will pass the main parking area...on the right..which is significantly larger....just walk up the road next to the fish troughs (if u will)...and u will arrive at the smaLl area on the left...drive it first to scope out room....they are very near each other...enjoy ctsparrow

The main parking lot is the formal trailhead for Unknown Pond Tr. (Lots of room.) Just continue on the road a short distance for a few cars worth of road-side parking and the access road (blocked for cars) to Bunnel Notch Tr.

York Pond road was fine for a passenger car last time I was there.

Doug

Watch for moose in the Hatchery ponds as you drive on that road.
IMG_4933.jpg

We did this exact hike last Sunday. We parked at the Unknown Pond trail parking and walked the short distance to Bunnell Notch Trail. The lot at UPT was a bit bigger. They may shut the gate but it won't be locked (just pinned).
We really enjoyed this hike. Lots of moose sign. The road is paved almost the whole way with just a short dirt section. There are no road issues (we did it with a Camry).
Enjoy