Zermatt - The Matterhorn 4478m

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is just incredible - what a beautiful place! Is that the Hutte on the ridge in the sixth photo? Can't wait for your next report!

Yes that's the Hornli Hutte looking odwn at it as we were descending..
It was an amazing climb and experience even without the summit. It's just going to make me appreciate that summit when I get it even more!!

Thanks for all the compliments!!

i'll have the other hikes & pics up tomorrow hopefully...so many to thin out the best from... incredible hiking!!!:D

Many thanks for the wonderful TR and classic photos. Congrats on the fine attempt. It is your description of other climbers dislodging stuff that has always scared me away from the Hornli ridge.:eek: Perhaps later in the season, once all of the loose stuff is removed, it would be safer. But, then the route would be more crowded, right? The afternoon mountain weather might be less fickle in the early fall?

"We caught up to both groups ahead of us, so we were doing pretty well, then we had to wait for one of the groups was unguided and were way off course…they were dropping boulders and dirt down on us and we had to hug a wall until my guide could direct them down to a safer chute. Early season like now is tougher because there are no tracks and the dirt and rocks aren’t packed down yet from other climbers. So it’s a lot of loose rubble dropping constantly on you and around you. Every step was sending piles of rock and debris down the face."

Darl- finally got to go through the pictures...really beautiful! I know how much you were looking forward to climbing this mountain. Looks like you had a great time even though you didn't get to summit. I am seriously jealous of the helicopter ride!

R