PDA

View Full Version : VFTT membership

percious
11-14-2005, 07:06 AM
Let me start off by saying that I have enjoyed this board, and the sense of community that is previlent on this website. This is never more apparent than when we all get together in person to enjoy the outdoors. I think Darren does an excellent job, as do all of the moderators keeping us all on topic.

Lately I have noticed a pretty sharp drop in the number of posts. It used to be I would come in on a monday, and have 6 or 7 pages of "New Posts" to go through. Lately we are lucky to have a page. I have always enjoyed reading everyone's trip reports, and seeing their pictures. This site has always offered a wealth of information on just about any topic specific to climbing mountains in the Northeast. It seems to me that this power is somewhat diminished of late.

It is my feeling, and maybe feeling of others on the board, that the limited registration has caused this site to have a reduction in participation. I think we need new members to post and be excited, and ask questions of those who have been on here forever.

Here are some stats taken from the member pages:

~2500 registered members
~1250 < 5 posts
~600 have 0 posts

Now I understand that moderation is a difficult task, and I am not asking to open up registration completely. I think a few people (myself included) would be happy to step up to the plate and assist in moderation. I think it would be a good idea to purge those users who have not posted in the last year or so, and allow the membership to be opened below 2500 members. This would keep the people who are active posting, and keep those who are new interested in the site.

My humblest regards.
-percious

alpinista
11-14-2005, 07:47 AM
The fewer posts may also be a reflection of the onset of winter, when the number of us out there hiking tends to drop. Just a thought, though I too would recommend perhaps deleting those folks who signed up years ago and maybe posted a handful of times _ and then allowing new, interested members to sign up. But ... hey.... it ain't my board to run and moderate, so I don't know how cumbersome a task it would be to undertake.

stu
11-14-2005, 08:04 AM
I have to agree with most of the previous points...... However I would exercise caution before deleting members based on post count only. This site means many things to many different people. Everyone is an individual. Some people like to post often, others would rather read and reflect and not often post. It does not mean they are any less members than the more active posters, they just have a different style or personality. Others may not have as much time to devote to it. I would be devastated to lose my membership in this site because someone else felt I did'nt live up to their "standards".
Just my personal opinion! Stu

percious
11-14-2005, 08:06 AM
I think there is some merit to what you say, but from my recollection of years past, this is one of the busier times of year. Most people are gearing up at this time, and there are usually tons of threads on gear and whatnot. Also, there are more people usually reporting trail conditions this time of year because they are so varied. I would say the traffic on the site right now is on-par with what we usually experience in the early mud season, when no one is out, or thinking about gear.

-percious

percious
11-14-2005, 08:07 AM
I have to agree with most of the previous points...... However I would exercise caution before deleting members based on post count only. This site means many things to many different people. Everyone is an individual. Some people like to post often, others would rather read and reflect and not often post. It does not mean they are any less members than the more active posters, they just have a different style or personality. Others may not have as much time to devote to it. I would be devastated to lose my membership in this site because someone else felt I did'nt live up to their "standards".
Just my personal opinion! Stu

Stu, I dont think you would fall "under the gun" I am simply recommending we purge those users who have not contributed to the site in the form of posts. That is almost half of the "members" on here.

-percious

Rik
11-14-2005, 08:46 AM
I think the software allows for moderators to look at recent activity which is probably better criteria than last post to see who is active on the site.

cbcbd
11-14-2005, 09:02 AM
I have a friend who hikes and is eager to get back into it. I was just starting to "hang out" here and was telling him about it. He had a question he was asking me to which I did not have the answer, and told him to post it here. He came back to me saying that he couldn't register. He was very bummed out.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the limiting of memberships (can someone explain to me?). Makes the board seem very elite and will probably put off many people from even coming here and just lurking.

percious
11-14-2005, 09:08 AM
I dont really want to go into "why" we are at the current state. All I will say is that there have been some disagreements on this site, which lead to moderation being difficult. I believe these issues have been resolved, but I cannot say for certain as I am not a moderator. I would just like some normalcy returned to the board.

Thank you for posting cbcbd. The example you gave is exactly why I started this thread to begin with. I am sure there are more people out there who want to contribute that cannot register. Anyone else with similar experiences, please post them here.

-percious

Quietman
11-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Darren explained it here

Site membership (http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9342)

cbcbd
11-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Speaking for the defense of the lurker who has an account but does not post:
Even if you're only here for the reading and not the posting it is nice to have an account since there are added bonuses, like the "New Posts" feature to look at threads that have recently been updated.

edit:
thanks for the link, Quietman

alpinista
11-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the link, Quietman. I hadn't seen that original post until just now.

percious
11-14-2005, 09:47 AM
I actually looked for that thread in order to reference it. Thanks for posting. My appologies to Darren and Mod(s) for posting in here, but I wanted to open this discussion after talking to other VFTTers in person this weekend.

-percious

mavs00
11-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Darren's rules are understandable and IMO completely appropriate for this site from a moderating point of view. I would NOT suggest he change anything. If I may though, I might suggest that a "prune" of membership be done.

For the simple fact that this site HAS to be a HUGE bandwidth hog and expensive to run. Every time someone visits certain portions of the DB have to be called upon. Since we know people regularly look into the member database (to check out member info or REP standings :rolleyes: ), a lot of dead data (using bandwith) is needlessly called forward. I know this as I run vBulletin myself).

Perhaps Darren should consider "pruning" (deleting) members that have not been active in say 9-10 months. By active, I mean not logged in. If 600 people have never posted, I would venture to say that 450-500 of them haven't even visited back after the first few days of registering. I say NUKE EM.

Deleting that many users would definitely have an impact on database size and bandwidth. Since your only deleting members that have never posted and haven't even been here for 9-10 months (or however long you want), your not likely to "offend" anyone. I hardly consider them members of this fine community anyway. Just a thought and it would take 5-10 minutes in the ADMIN section to do it and possibly save Darren a few $$ along the way.

beverly
11-14-2005, 10:44 AM
If you have a problem with this site and the way it is run, pm or email Darren. How many times does he have to say this?
It isn't up for discussion. Period.

percious
11-14-2005, 10:47 AM
If you have a problem with this site and the way it is run, pm or email Darren. How many times does he have to say this?
It isn't up for discussion. Period.

I felt that this should not be taken offline, due to my discussions with other members recently. I wanted to see how many people are having experiences like cbcbd, and that is impossible to do offline. If this thread gets any nastier, please shut it down.

Mavs. I think you kind of hit the nail on the head here.

-percious

David Metsky
11-14-2005, 10:48 AM
I really doubt that deleting those users would have any appreciable impact on the site performance or memory use. They're just empty entries in the user table, the data queries can deal with them very efficiently. It's the posts that impact server speed and memory, and these users don't have any.

Personally, I'm in favor of opening up registration again, but I am not one of the moderators of the site. I don't have to put up with the hassle of problem users, though I've had a taste of it with the Frapper map. It's a real annoyance and it's not hard to see why Darren made the choice he did.

-dave-

beverly
11-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Darren sez:

3) The Site Feedback & Help forum is now the Site Help forum. That forum is only for posting questions if you need help figuring out how to do something on the site. Feedback or comments on how the site is run are no longer allowed in that or any forum. If you have feedback as to how the site is being run, email or PM it to me.

Peakbagr
11-14-2005, 11:58 AM
from Darren's post of not too long ago. Thread being closed before being deleted:

"3) The Site Feedback & Help forum is now the Site Help forum. That forum is only for posting questions if you need help figuring out how to do something on the site. Feedback or comments on how the site is run are no longer allowed in that or any forum. If you have feedback as to how the site is being run, email or PM it to me."