PDA

View Full Version : greatany places for an early breakfast in the Whites

dom15931
11-15-2005, 06:40 PM
Does anybody know of any places that you can get a good breakfast early in the morning, maybe like 5am? I am kinda thinking that somewhere being open this early is unlikely in this area. I will be hiking the Wildcats with a friend Saturday so somewhere in the gorham area is ideal. Any info?

-Dom

kltilton
11-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Bea's Cafe North, just south of the Rt 16/302 intersection at the top of the hill in Glen. I am not sure if they are open at 5 but I know they open early. Good food cheap and fast.

Tom & Atticus
11-15-2005, 06:46 PM
You might try Peg's in Woodstock (Rt. 3), although I think it opens at 5:30 (at least it did this summer) and not 5:00 but don't quote me. They do serve a full breakfast, just don't expect anything special. It's the most basic breakfast place I've ever been too, although the blueberry pancakes are pretty good and so is the ham. The omelets leave a lot to be desired.

giggy
11-15-2005, 06:58 PM
good luck - if you find one please post here b/c that would be useful info!!

dunkin donuts might be open at 5am - not sure this is what you want but...

ghassert
11-15-2005, 07:38 PM
When I was up there in October we ate a "A Fresh Start" on RT 302 in Glen. Awesome breakfast, huge cups of tea. It opens at 6:00 Mon - Sat, 7:00 on Sundays.

Papa Bear
11-15-2005, 07:42 PM
I always liked Peg's in North Woodstock. Never tried their omelets so I can't argue about that - I'm a pancake guy. Cheap and good.

Artex
11-15-2005, 07:57 PM
I suck with remembering names, but the general store on the corner of Rt. 302 and Bear Notch Road has killer breakfast sandwiches, and good coffee to boot. Not sure exactly when they open, but I remember getting grub there pretty early, like ~6 a.m.

Waumbek
11-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Forget all these other places and listen up because I don't give out this information often. The best breakfast around here is at Munroe's Family Restaurant in greater downtown Twin Mountain (Rt 3). (A couple of Californians told me about it.) I don't know what time they open but get there early because it's always crowded. May not take plastic, not sure.

Orsonab
11-15-2005, 09:52 PM
I've eaten at Munroe's a couple of times when it was just too cold to hike.

Too cold to hike? That's not the Kevin Rooney I know....

I've found that the White Mountain Bagel place in Lincoln right opposite the MacDonalds (take that, Ronald!) is pretty damn good for a heart-stopping bacon & egg sandwich on a bagel of your choice. The coffee is adequate (and comes in many flavours if you like that kind of thing), they open at 6am every day of the year and, most importantly, they have a clean toilet, as I am usually burstling by the time I hit Lincoln.

Speaking of which...gotta go. :)

nh-trekker
11-16-2005, 04:45 AM
in Gorham there is a place called "The Loaf Around Cafe" it is on exchange street. when you are heading east on rte 2 towards rte 16 it is on your r/h side. if you come to the park you have gone to far. turn around and take your first l. bet you can"t eat the WHOLE thing. :eek:

sp1936
11-16-2005, 05:39 AM
The previously mentioned Munroe's is without a doubt the best breakfast around, but they don't open early enough. Neither does Bea's Cafe, which has two locations (Conway and Glen), and opens at 6. For an early breakfast, there is only Dunkin' Donuts, with locations in Glen, Gorham, Conway, and N. Conway.

Steve

Barry Sr
11-16-2005, 06:33 AM
I know I'm stretching it when you mention the Whites, But.
If you are headin' to Sunapee or the M&M.
Let me put a plug in for my cousin Bruce & his wife.
They make a Meme soup that'll warm your innards before or after the slope or trail.

Tremblay's Cafe (http://www.ciscanet.net/tremblayscafe/index.html)

LarryD
11-16-2005, 06:42 AM
The people who own "A Fresh Start" in Glen (mentioned above) just opened a second "Fresh Start" (a "fresher start"?) in Albany on Route 16, where the old "Bill's Place" was. I think they are open at 6:00 a.m. Monday through Saturday, and 7:00 a.m. on Sunday.

Bob Kittredge
11-16-2005, 07:41 AM
Burger King tends to open pretty early in most places (6 or earlier), but it may vary from location to location. (e.g. Gorham and North Conway) Not exactly gourmet fare, but I'm usually just looking for a big greasy breakfast that will keep me going well into the afternoon.

Monroe's in Twin Mountain is good (but opens around 7). Don't go overboard in ordering pancakes, though. They are huge.

bruno
11-16-2005, 08:15 AM
just have to agree with the munroe's crowd!! not open early enough for me but it is a shrine to breakfast!! a veritable shrine i tell ya!! and make sure you pronounce it "MUN-roes"!! :D :) :)

ps--i'm still here ospreya!!!!!! :eek: :)

Stan
11-16-2005, 08:23 AM
Tilton Diner just off I-93 in Tilton is great for breakfast but get there before the crowds on busy weekends. They open at 6 AM.

blownaway
11-16-2005, 09:10 AM
Isn't there a diner-type resturant down and across form Mikes hiking store on main street Gorham?.heading east on rte 2 towards rte 16 it is on your l/h side. Looks like it would open early...maybe not 5AM.

BrentD22
11-16-2005, 09:29 AM
The Pinkham Notch Visitors Center has a buffet breakfast that isn't too expensive, starts early, price I'm not sure about, but I know that the food is plentyful and plenty good. Although please don't forget to tip the kitchen croo. They work for beans.

If your using PNVC as your Trail Head it's perfect. Eat some breakfast, get the weather report, head down stairs, use the bathroom, pack-up and head out. Something else I like doing is (although not allowed technically) is sleeping in my car the night before in the parking lot so I'm right there ready to go.

Eddie70
11-16-2005, 09:40 AM
i have to second white mountain bagel in lincoln. good bagels. great bathroom. the gas station across the street also has a good bathroom and is a good place to stock up on hiking snacks (it's also one of the few places in the country that i've found chocolate pop tarts which i highly recommend to anyone willing to eat pop tarts :p ). i think there's a dunkin donuts in the gas station too.

and i need to echo everyone's praise of munroe's. their egg breakfast sandwich is spectacular. plus (you'll notice a theme here) they have good bathrooms too. and if you're there for lunch i recommend the tuna melt. it'll make you forget all about mercury.

Gris
11-16-2005, 10:53 AM
i agree w/ waumbek & bruno - it's always Munro's for me early winter days. now if i wanna "see & be seen" in da summertime, then it's Polly's, of course!!!

SAR-EMT40
11-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Never been to Munroes but "A Fresh Start" is pretty good. The best standard breakfast fare that I have been to (many, many times) is "Glen Junction" at the corner of 16 and 302. Great food, nice people and fast service. It will be crowded at certain times. I don't know if they open at 5 or 6AM.

Keith

peakbagger
11-16-2005, 12:07 PM
There were a couple of references to the Gorham area that need some updating. Welch's on Main street (sort of across the street from Moriah Sports) is closed and for sale. The location of the Loaf Around Bakery on Exchange Street was reopended by a new owner. It still has very good food and incredibly slow service. There is not much else for early morning except for the McD's and Dunkin Donuts.

luv2hike
11-16-2005, 08:17 PM
My 2 favorite spots are Glen Junction in Glen, NH. It is just west of the 16/302 junction and Yesterdays on Rte 16A in Jackson. Glen Junction may be a bit late for you. It serves breakfast from 7am - 3pm. I'm not sure what time Yesterday's opens but you could call (603)383-4457 to find out.

WSC
11-17-2005, 06:25 AM
If you want a good breakfast and are spending the night in the Jefferson area, The waterwheel Restaurant is a good choice. They open early in the summer usually by 6:00am, Not sure of the winter hours.
They are on Rt 2. After Jefferson proper, but before the Jefferson notch moter inn.
It is a good choice if you are doing Wambeck or the Northern Presidentials.
There prices are not the cheapest but you get a good meal.
WSC

jime
11-17-2005, 07:47 AM
For those of you heading up I91 a stop at the P & H Truck Stop in Wells River, VT is well worth the time. 24 hour food and very good! Truckers know best!

Mike P.
11-17-2005, 09:47 AM
I'll have to check the hours for the Loaf Around Cafe tomorrow. Previously when I've been in Gorham it's very quiet before 6:00 including I believe the BK. I've been in McDonalds before 6:00 (like 5:50) so they are open before 6:00 - how much earlier, I don't know.

Maddy
11-17-2005, 10:13 AM
I like Pinkham because it's "buffet" and you can take bacon or sausage out to "RUFUS"!

Krazo
11-18-2005, 06:48 AM
Earliest places I have found headed up Rt 16 are the 3 Dunkin Donuts that open at 5am and a bakery. Canít recall the name of the bakery. It is located half way between Conway and N. Conway headed north on Rt 16. Not sure when the bakery opens but I have stopped before 5 for a treat and coffee.

Gary

kltilton
11-19-2005, 08:12 AM
Earliest places I have found headed up Rt 16 are the 3 Dunkin Donuts that open at 5am and a bakery. Canít recall the name of the bakery. It is located half way between Conway and N. Conway headed north on Rt 16. Not sure when the bakery opens but I have stopped before 5 for a treat and coffee.

Gary

How could I forget Leavitt's Bakery!!! It's across the street from me. I believe they actually open at 4AM and have great baked goods and coffee. Highly recommended.

Waumbek
11-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Munroe's hours from now until Dec. 25:

Closed M & T
W, Th, F: 7.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m.
Sat & Sun: 7.30 a.m. to 2.00 p.m.

No credit cards, no checks, cash only.

Polly's in Sugar Hill is closed now.

Mike P.
11-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Gorham Mc'Donalds 5:00 AM
Gorham BK 6:00
Did not check the side streets but at 6 AM they were no cars parked on any street that looked like it had an open restaurant on it.