PDA

View Full Version : Baxter - Open reservation day success?

peakbagger
12-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Anyone out there attend the January 17th open reservation day for Baxter State Park in Millinocket this past January? I may be in town that day and was wondering if the 20% of all the sites available to be reserved that day were grabbed early. I dont have the option of camping out in the parking lot :) but wonder how much of a crowd was there.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Waumbek
12-15-2005, 12:44 PM
Last year, my first trip, was low in numbers. In all, there were about 25 overnight campers and 25 in the "second wave" that formed up early that morning. The first overnighter got there Jan. 14th. Ironically, most of the overnight campers were pursuing the cushiest reservations, such as Daicey Pond. I went out at 3 a.m. and was #7 in the second wave line. I did not need to go at all for the reservation I wanted, but I wanted to experience the phenomenon of "The Line" before it is canceled. It was a unique cultural event, complete with its own set of honor rules, customs, and lore.

Artex
12-15-2005, 01:25 PM
The opening day deal is done a bit differently now.

Here's a link with the new way to make reservations. (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/index.html)

Long story short, you mail in or show up in person up to four months away from the dates you want to stay there. Maine residents get priority. :D