PDA

View Full Version : Pack Monadnock camping

focusonbalance
01-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Can anyone tell me if camping is permitted between North and South Pack Monadnock?I'm thinking it would be a good winter backpack for my scouts. If it's not okay, I'm open for any other suggestions. Thanks!

arghman
01-09-2006, 05:10 PM
My guess is probably not... landowners (from S to N) are, I believe, State of NH (Miller State Park), Nature Conservancy, and US Govt (Fish & Wildlife) for the national wildlife refuge around North Pack Mtn. Latter two extremely doubtful would allow camping. You could check with the state parks for Miller SP.

Quietman
01-09-2006, 10:48 PM
The only legal camping on the Wapack(including N.& S. Pack) is at Windblown CC ski area. Shelter fees are charged. I used to camp near the summit of N. Pack with my kids until it was included into a Wildlife refuge and camping became illegal. Local police patrol the auto road and summit of S.pack in the summer. I may have caught a few zzzzz's on the old fire tower platform on S. Pack before it became an active watch tower a few years ago. The Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway has campsites/shelters along its path, but no open campfires are allowed. Monadnock state park campground is open in winter and allows camp fires. Hope that helps!