PDA

View Full Version : Losing reply when moving to and from antother site

oldfogie
12-01-2003, 10:25 PM
A problem that I noticed in the past, which I thought was just a fluke, has reappeared and I have tested it several times now and see that it is an inherent problem that I am seeking a solution to.

Case in point... I had written a long technical reply to a thread on one of the forums and then I had to get some data from a hiking site I was describing. So I opened my favorites, and went to the site I referenced, got the data I needed and then clicked the back button to return to my message.

Guess what! No text in the message. All I had written to that point was GONE! Just an empty box in "Message." I had to start from scratch. Seems like the only work-around is to highlight and copy the text, and only then do the web research, then when you come back to the (now) empty forum reply page, paste the text back in.

Is this my problem or a VFTT problem or an MS IE problem? Maybe I just don't have some settings right.

I could use some enlightenment. TIA.

AlpineZone
12-02-2003, 08:55 AM
Good advice Kevin. Just hit Ctrl+N (or File --> New --> Window) to open a second IE window. IE is notorious for losing form data if you leave the page. If I'm writing a long detailed reply, I normally put it into a Word doc or Notepad just to be safe. Also, go to Tools ---> Internet Options..., Security tab, click Custom Level..., scroll 3/4 of the way down and be sure Userdata persistence is enabled. That's supposed to help, but I've still seen form data vanish...

oldfogie
12-02-2003, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. I found that I already had the persistence option checked. So I guess it's a second instance of IE to solve the problem. I think I knew I could do that, but my brain was always in normal web surfer mode even when in the VFTT site.

At least I know now that I haven't been dreaming or that it's all my fault.

darren
12-03-2003, 09:19 PM
The other guys already got the right answers. The only thing I can add is that when you hit Ctrl-n to open a new browser window, dont forget that you can hit Alt-TAB to switch between the windows (and any other programs that you have open at the time). Tabbing between windows is a realy easy way to hop back and forth and copy data etc.

- darren