PDA

View Full Version : "quotations"

spider solo
02-10-2006, 03:09 PM
I've noticed that some quotations of anothers' post appear in a grey box at the top.
For others it appears not much different from the general text...are there settings we make that govern how they appear ?

Tom Rankin
02-10-2006, 03:41 PM
I've noticed that some quotations of anothers' post appear in a grey box at the top.
For others it appears not much different from the general text...are there settings we make that govern how they appear ?

Probably the poster deleted the [ quote ] blah blah blah [ / quote ] tags, either deliberately, or by mistake.

SAR-EMT40
02-10-2006, 03:45 PM

I am not sure if this is what you mean but using the quote button makes the box.

the command is:
[\QUOTE=spider solo\] and would end with \[/QUOTE\]

Removing the forward slashes would make that look like this:

and would end with

Hope this helps

Keith

spider solo
02-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Probably the poster deleted the [ quote ] blah blah blah [ / quote ] tags, either deliberately, or by mistake.

just testing...yes it works ok...I'll have to look around for an different example...perhaps I'm mistaken.
thanks...spider

Mark Schaefer
02-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Another option is to leave off the =member from the initial tag. That form is often used to quote from a book, external source, or something that is not in a post. It appears as:
blah blah blah

spider solo
02-12-2006, 05:03 AM
ummm....I did seem to just come across an example where an 'old style' of quote seemed to be not high lighted.
How would I transfer something from one thread over to another thread ?

I guess you could call it ..."cross threading"....

DougPaul
02-12-2006, 10:24 AM
ummm....I did seem to just come across an example where an 'old style' of quote seemed to be not high lighted.
How would I transfer something from one thread over to another thread ?
Not highlighted: probably an error in the use of the quote markups.

Transfer: Since the quote button only gets the text from one post, I just mouse the text over from any additional posts. If need be, I use a second browser to access the text in the additional posts.

Doug

Mark Schaefer
02-12-2006, 11:50 AM
QUOTE=spider solo]ummm....I did seem to just come across an example where an 'old style' of quote seemed to be not high lighted.[/QUOTE] -- As Doug mentioned an error in the tags, as in the above where I deleted the initial bracket.

You could also clean it up a bit to look more like a quote in written material. As stated by spider solo, "ummm....I did seem to just come across an example where an 'old style' of quote seemed to be not high lighted." That takes up less space in a post perhaps, but not much.

spider solo
02-13-2006, 06:13 PM
/QUOTE] -- As Doug mentioned an error in the tags, as in the above where I deleted the initial ....

thanks... I think I have the gist of it now..I didn't actually know what "tags" were.

DougPaul
02-13-2006, 07:54 PM
I think I have the gist of it now..I didn't actually know what "tags" were.
Strictly speaking the "tags" are a markup language. The marks, in this case, contain formatting information.

HTML (hyper-text markup language) is language that specifies the format of web pages such as this one...

SGML (standardized generalized markup language (I think)) is a more general markup scheme. HTML and the markup language used by the software executing this BBS are specific instances of SGML.

Alphabet soup for the day...

Doug