PDA

View Full Version : Hudson Highway

Meo
02-15-2006, 10:51 AM
I searched the site for any infos about Saddleback (Me) in winter, and I found that it's possible to use a "trail" directly from the base station, starting at the ski area, called the "Hudson Highway". I just wonder if it's legal to climb it with snowshoes. Also, as I don't have a ski trails map, does somebody knows where the so-called Hudson Highway starts? Near the main chairlift? I could simply ask someone at the station when I'll get there, but (and I'm sure I'm not the only one here), I love to plan well ahead :D

Thanks!

DougPaul
02-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Saddleback Trail Map online:
http://www.saddlebackmaine.com/trailmap.asp

a few folks have posted on which trails they recommend hikers take to the summit ... ask at the base station
Ski trail maps should also be available at the ticket window.

Doug

Meo
02-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Great. I didn't know the map was online, should've check first. :o Yes Arm, according to these posts, it should be the Hudson, on the far right (longer than the chairlift one, but at least it should be legal). I'd just like to get a confirmation from someone who used it in winter (almost all trail reports I found were about summer climbs).

el-bagr
02-15-2006, 12:34 PM
I was at Saddleback two weeks ago. I saw folks snowshoeing up (and down) Hudson Highway, which is basically the outermost route up the mountain on ascender's right. In years past, I've also seen folks snowshoeing (?) down one of the inner trails on ascender's right as well as immediately under the principal lift. Stick to the sides, and you shouldn't have trouble.

spencer
02-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Here (http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5219) is my trip report from last year.

winter hiking on the Saddleback trails has been discussed subsequently but I can't find it. What I said was that the patrol didn't like us going up the main route (like we did in the above report) and on my second trip up that day they told me to stay on Hudson Highway. It was a very gentle slope that meanders quite a bit. Note that I was skinning up and skiing down, so I didn't take the same trail on the way down, either time.

have fun!
spencer

Mohamed Ellozy
02-15-2006, 01:04 PM
When we were there I spoke with the ski patrol guys, who were very friendly and helpful. Their insurance company allows them to allow hikers on two trails: Hudson Highway, a green trail that makes a very long (and gentle) ascent, and Green Weaver, a blue trail that is steeper and more direct. Both end at a warming hut, from which you should take the Tricolor trail and another short one to the top of a lift, from which there is a path to the AT.

Let me repeat, the ski patrol are very helpful on Saddleback; look for them if you still have any questions.