PDA

View Full Version : Sawyer River Road (Carrigain Notch NH)

Motabobo
02-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Hi is this road open up to the trailhead ?

I've seen only one report stating it was still open as of december but now when I go there (last updated 5 jan. 06), it says it's closed.

White Mountains Road Status (http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/roads_status.php)

Can anyone confirm ? I'm planning to go there this week-end !

Oh and I need the same info for Success Pond Road with is fo Goose Eye Trail...

Thanks

David Metsky
02-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Sawyer River Road is definately gated. You'll have to walk or ski that one.

Success Pond is a crap shoot in winter. Not sure what state it currently is in. It's a private road, so it won't be reported on the WMNF page. Paging anyone up in Berlin...

-dave-

marty
02-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Sawyer River Road is definitely gated, but logging activity and snowmobiling on the road has it well packed, but a bit icy. You might want to refer to my recent Trip Report posted on February 5. Good luck. It's a GREAT HIKE, but it will be very cold and windy, especially from the ridge to the summit! Marty

Motabobo
02-17-2006, 01:28 PM
What would be my alternative for either Goose Eye or Vose Spur then ?

David Metsky
02-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Goose Eye you can approach from the Maine side. I don't know the trail name but lots of folks here recommend it highly.

For Vose Spur, just walk the extra 2 miles on the Sawyer River Road. :) Lots of approaches are longer in winter.

-dave-

marty
02-17-2006, 02:40 PM
I think Mr. Metsky is referring to the Wright Trail to do Goose Eye. The trail is a bit northeast of Bethel, in a township called Ketchum. The AMC White Mountain Guide and Maine Mountain Guides both give precise directions. No idea if the roads are plowed, however.

This is an awesome trail, but I have only done it in the summer. My guess is that winter hiking could be quite challenging, with lots of ice and some tricky stream crossings.

I think most people access Vose Spur starting with the Signal Ridge Trail, coming from Sawyer River Road. You would have to do the same road walk as Carrigain. There is a February 5 Trip Report from MTNRUNR on his recent conquest of Vose Spur.

Marty