PDA

View Full Version : GORP recipes

adirobdack46r
05-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Wondering what you all have for personal favorite gorp recipes. I've been on many solo over nights, but will be doing my longest one so far this summer, 8-10 days. I'm not a medical person but have heard about how one can become ill by depleting the body of salt by sweating, drinking too much water, and not consuming enough salt products. I don't want to be a statistic or get sick out there. What is the best thing I can do to make sure I get enough salt. I figured gorp was a good source and wonderd if there was a recipe that is much better than others, not just by flavor but what it can provide for the body.

onestep
05-03-2006, 01:56 PM
I figured gorp was a good source and wonderd if there was a recipe that is much better than others, not just by flavor but what it can provide for the body.

I've tried all sorts of recipes, but allways come back to Rasins, Peanuts, and M&M's... now if you want a little kick ;) , mix in some vitimin I :D :D

Onestep

trailbiscuit
05-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Mmmm...gorp...

I like to add cashews, pepitas, dried cranberries, reese's pieces or peanut butter M&Ms.

Don't add anything that could melt...that's never pretty.

Question: If you get away from just good ol' raisins and peanuts is it still gorp? :rolleyes:

danno
05-03-2006, 02:42 PM
If I am going out for more than a day, I will bring a couple gorp mixes with me. One with chocolate and yogurt covered raisins, and some honey coated seed bars I've found at a local outlet. Good sweet carbs with a fairly quick energy gain. The other one that I always enjoy is half cornnuts and half garlic sesame sticks (bought in bulk). Yum. This one covers the salt fix, and has a lasting energy to it. I tend to go for high carbs, which seems to work for me.

Also, I usually try to go somewhat low on saturated fats if I can help it, but if I get rid of all of the bad fat, the mix isn't as fun.

SAR-EMT40
05-03-2006, 02:48 PM
I like to add cashews, pepitas, dried cranberries, reese's pieces or peanut butter M&Ms.

You forgot Skittles. I love them too. I know it might sound odd but I love them with cashews and sometimes with m&m's but just the two of them are excellant. Not in the winter though. Your teeth will crack before they will.

Just use something you like that is sweet and something with a little sodium in it and you can mix it any way you want.

Keith

Roxi
05-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Mmmm...gorp...

I love the dried cranberries! I'm not a fan of raisins. To the dried cranberries I usually add honey roasted mixed nuts and plain M&Ms. On occasion I've also enjoyed adding honey nut cheerios (cereal makes me feel like I have something nutritious in there, and I like the sweet crunch), smart food popcorn, cheeze-its or goldfish crackers. It's pretty wide open.... I like your addition of pepitas and reeses' pieces.

Amicus
05-03-2006, 02:59 PM
that you can get at places like Trader Joes give the mix a little kick (but not nearly as torrid as the green paste you get with sushi) and go surprisingly well with the sweet stuff. I love Reese's pieces but find that they do melt when it's really hot.

sapblatt
05-03-2006, 03:12 PM
lightly salted cashews, m + ms, something with some spice...usually wasabi peas...need to keep it interesting or I will not eat. When it gets hot I try to let a 50 % Gatorade solution take care of the salt/minerals for me...seems to be easier to handle than salty foods.

trailbiscuit
05-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Amicus, thanks for the reminder...
Wasabi peas, cheez-its, small pretzels and peanuts makes a tasty mix.

I hike, therefore I eat. :o

pilgrim
05-03-2006, 03:14 PM
For me, cashews are the only absolutely essential ingredient, and raisins are the only thing that absolutely must not be in the mix.

DougPaul
05-03-2006, 03:21 PM
My mix has varied over times, but I tend to use salted peanuts, almonds, and semi-sweet chocolate bits these days. Cashews, raisins, M&Ms, and candy corn have been known to sneak in now and then.

Don't forget things like fig bars. (I can get a pound of these for the cost of one of those new-fangled energy bars...)

I carry my gorp in a wide-mouth plastic bottle. Just pop the lid and take a swig. Easy to deal with in the rain or with gloves/mittens. Also makes it possible to eat through a facemask.

Doug

brianW
05-03-2006, 03:22 PM
m&m's, peanuts, cachews, rasins, crasins, some other dried fruit (pineapple, paya, bannana chips, etc.) and I also add some granola type cereal.

ok you got me I will admit I use no set recipe, I just raid the cabinets at home (or the local Mr. Mikes or Cumby-farms) and just start pouring stuff into a zip lock. Just after Easter or Halloween I can also raid the kids' candy stash. :eek: -brianW

Peaks
05-03-2006, 03:59 PM
When backpacking, I usually carry a big bag of Gorp. Usual ingredients:

Nuts, M&M's, and dried fruits. I add Granola if I want to stretch it.

Nuts can be peanuts (dry roasted) and/or cashews.

Dried fruits can be raisins, craisins, pineapple chunks, bananna chips, etc.

The mix depends on what I can find on the shelves, and what I'm in the mood for.

A couple of things to remember: Dried fruits will absorb salt from nuts and other salted ingredients and change the taste over time. (That's why I avoid things like honey roasted peanuts and pretzels in the mix). Also crunchy foods like pretzels, potato sticks and cereal will absorb moisture from dried fruits and raisins making them soft rahter then crunchy.

NewHampshire
05-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Ive taken to making homemade granola Bars. There are a BUNCH of basic recipies that allow you to dump your favorite items into them. So instead of "loose GORP" I now have it in bar form which makes for easier eating.

Brian

arghman
05-03-2006, 05:08 PM
dried cranberries, and peanut-butter chips.

sleeping bear
05-03-2006, 09:14 PM
dried cherries, salted cashews, almond m&ms, chocloate covered raisins and honey nut chex

ripple
05-04-2006, 06:29 AM
Variety of nuts,and dried fruit. One or both of, swedish fish, or sour patch kids. Love getting a jolt of sour in the mix. Just watch your teeth in the winter, eating frozen candy is like chewing on rocks.

MikeOneill
05-05-2006, 05:37 PM
dry roasted peanuts, cashews, chocolate chips, raisins and dried wild blueberries.

buy good raw peanuts and roast them yourself. takes about 1/2 hour and the difference in taste is unbelievable.

store in freezer.

Dalraida
05-05-2006, 06:43 PM
While hiking in Norway I encountered a local trail mix that was pretty tasty. It had a lot of dried fish in it. Since then I put anchovies in my home made mix. Just don't want to breathe on anyone. Remember the deoderant thread? :p

timmus
05-05-2006, 06:54 PM
A lot of things can be good in GORP, but IMO, there is one ESSENTIAL ingredient that must be in the bag :

Chocolate covered coffee beans.

trailbiscuit
05-05-2006, 07:09 PM
While hiking in Norway I encountered a local trail mix that was pretty tasty. It had a lot of dried fish in it.

Those crazy Norwegians! But seriously, I think I'll pass. Although, I did try squid jerky this summer...tasted like squid jerky.

Maddy
05-06-2006, 08:13 AM
Can someone tell me......what are pepitos???

trailbiscuit
05-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Shelled pumpkin seeds...yummy.

Neil
05-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Put smarties, lard and sardines in food processor. Run processor on high.
Mix by hand with shredded coconut.
Roll into small balls or pellets.
Freeze
Swallow whole with water or Gator-Aid if flavour unappealing.

Don't bring on hot summer days. On overnights may attract bears or other critters.

(Note: wheat germ may replace coconut)

SAR-EMT40
05-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Put smarties, lard and sardines in food processor. Run processor on high.
Mix by hand with shredded coconut.
Roll into small balls or pellets.
Freeze
Swallow whole with water or Gator-Aid if flavour unappealing.

Don't bring on hot summer days. On overnights may attract bears or other critters.

I cannot imagine a reason I would ever want to bring them, summer or winter at anytime ever, ever and I certainly cannot imagine any reason whatsoever I would put one in my mouth. :D :D :D

(Note: wheat germ may replace coconut)

Trust me, this isn't sweetning the pot. :D :D

Keith

sardog1
05-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Cashews, Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips, and chopped dried apricots.

No melting worries, 'cuz I'm either on or in the water, or at home just moping, when it gets hot.

(But now I gotta find out what the $%^&! "smarties" are; I already love the sardines. Then I gotta try it. Then I gotta find Neil if it turns out as awful as Keith imagines it . . . )

DougPaul
05-06-2006, 03:00 PM
(But now I gotta find out what the $%^&! "smarties" are;
A kind of hard candy. Packaged in rolls about 2 in long by .5 in dia containing about 15 candy disks. Available in the candy section at your local grocery store. Good even (better, IMO) without all that other stuff mixed in.

Doug

SAR-EMT40
05-06-2006, 03:58 PM
A kind of hard candy. Packaged in rolls about 2 in long by .5 in dia containing about 15 candy disks. Available in the candy section at your local grocery store. Good even (better, IMO) without all that other stuff mixed in.

Doug

Oh yeah, Smarties. I didn't notice that at first. Just spotted the lard and sardines. I love those little things. That's the only thing besides the coconut that I would find appealing. I have enough trouble finding stuff I like to eat when I hike as it is. I swear my stomach shuts down. I have no appetite. Only in the woods. :D

Because it is Neil. I would try one. :D :D He would have to eat one first though.

Keith

DougPaul
05-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Oh yeah, Smarties. I didn't notice that at first. Just spotted the lard and sardines. I love those little things. That's the only thing besides the coconut that I would find appealing. I have enough trouble finding stuff I like to eat when I hike as it is. I swear my stomach shuts down. I have no appetite. Only in the woods. :D
The smarties are the only part of his recipe that appeals to me... And I have no trouble eating on the trail.

Because it is Neil. I would try one. :D :D He would have to eat one first though.
Neil seems to be a decent guy, but I'll pass on this one...

Doug

Dalraida
05-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Does anyone have the old ThruHiker recipe for Bacon Grease/Peanut butter squares. Someone shared some with me about twenty years ago and they were fantastic. Of course they are designed for a T/H 5-6000 calorie day diet.

mtneqgurl
05-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Prefer homemade granola-type bars also- http://www.backcountryinfo.net/trail_bars.htm/

DougPaul
05-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Prefer homemade granola-type bars also- http://www.backcountryinfo.net/trail_bars.htm/
Your url has a trailing slash. Corrected version:
http://www.backcountryinfo.net/trail_bars.htm

Doug

Lawn Sale
05-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't like Gorp? Maybe I had to much of it when I was younger, but I don't care for it now and never bring it as a result.

Neil
05-07-2006, 05:54 AM
Keith
My Mom used to send me off to school or to the outdoor hockey rink in frigid Manitoba with a jacket pocket full of frozen sweet sardinie balls back in the 60's. She said they were sunshine from the sea because the sardines supposedly had Vit. D in them. I don't know about the Vit. D. but I do remember using the mixture to make hockey pucks out of - you had to add a little water to the recipe. We also used old Eaton's catalogues for shin pads.

prino
05-07-2006, 12:14 PM
A lot of things can be good in GORP, but IMO, there is one ESSENTIAL ingredient that must be in the bag :

Chocolate covered coffee beans.

You beat me to it Julie!! Especially useful product towards the end of a long hike when you need a little extra boost.

starbug2000
05-08-2006, 12:26 PM

Doug

In Canada, Smarties are candies not unlike M&Ms. Not sure which version of Smarties Neil is referring to; not sure it'd make a difference in that particular recipe.

LittleBear
05-09-2006, 08:24 AM
My favorite GORP recipe is:

regular M&M's
peanut M&M's
crunchy M&M's
peanut butter M&M's
honeynut cashews and regular cashews
peanuts
pistachios
cinnamon coated raisins
golden raisins