PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Gearoholic?

dvbl
05-06-2006, 08:40 PM
I just read on another post that someone has 9 LL Bean sleeping bags :eek: . I don't think I even own 9 pairs of pants. So, since it's mud season and hiking is down, that must mean the quirky threads are up. So, are you one of those who can't pass up a great deal on a piece of gear even if you have no need for it because you already have one (and a back-up)?

Lawn Sale
05-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Actually that's incorrect, I have 9 LL Bean sleeping bags but I have 2 that aren't Bean's for a total of 11.

But, I only bought one of them new, and even that was about half price on sale. Most of the others were found on the dump, washed and repaired, but some were hard to pass on at lawn sales.

It's amazing what people will throw away, but to answer the question, yes, I am a gearoholic. When I see something that still has a use, I have a hard time letting it go, unless it costs too much. But, free is hardly too much, so I tend to pick it up even though it's not needed. I upgrade when I can, and the rest sits in one of my spare rooms awaiting use or someone needing something. I have no problem giving some items away to those who will use them, and have depeleted my stock significantly from last fall. But, I also don't give stuff away just because someone wants a "spare". Most of the time there is nothing wrong with any of the gear, but some of it I have repaired, so it's less than new. Most people don't mind using it as all of it's serviceable, I don't keep anything around that isn't.

Just today I was going to pick up another nice EMS external frame pack, for a few dollars at a lawn sale, but instead convinced another person to buy it. They were looking to get back into hiking, and since I have two, I didn't need it, so I didn't mind helping someone else get it.

Quietman
05-06-2006, 10:22 PM
I agree with Lawnsale!!

I have 8 sleeping bags, for my family of 7. :o
Most were ems bargain basement specials, most are at least 10 years old, one is my brother's that I never returned!

My Marmot back pack is 26 years old, some of my kids packs were from the swap shop at the dump(just picked up another one last week).
As I stated in another thread, my $69 water filter is the most expensive piece of gear I have ever bought.

Are other hiker's packs lighter than mine? You bet!! Does their gear have more bells and whistles? No contest!!
Do they enjoy their hikes more than me? Don't know, but I really enjoy my hikes!!!!
If you've got the money, great, enjoy the good stuff. If you don't, you can have just as much fun as anyone else.

I wish I was hiking, instead of waiting to pick up my son and daughter from their prom :rolleyes:

Woody
05-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Well, lately I have been walking into EMS and just looking around. Unless I get into biking or kayaking there is nothing I really need. That's just depressing :p The next items on my gear wish list include a set of double ropes and a lightweight mountaineering tent even though I already have three good single ropes and a three season tent and a bombproof mountaineering tent.

Neil
05-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Hi, I'm Neil and I'm...definitely not a gearaholic :) .

When the rubber hits the road it's just me, my wits and my legs.

Sure, I'm fully equipped, OK, maybe even very fully equipped but a gearaholic? Nah, I can quit accumulating gear any time I want, really I can. It's just that I don't want to right now. I mean, I'm not ready yet. Tomorrow. Yeah tomorrow I won't buy anything, honest I won't. I can control it, I really can.

jrichard
05-07-2006, 10:05 PM
I'm not. I can stop any time I want.

I guess I was. I used to spend hours, perhaps days, researching some esoteric piece of gear. Then I'd spend hours finding the best price. Then I'd finally get it and find that it didn't meet my expectations.

Now I try to spend that time learning about backwoods techniques. And I found that by building ray-way kits, I can still satisfy that "thrill of the gear hunt" craving. I find building better than shopping. (hopefully this doesn't sound too supercilious)

And I can stop building ray-way kits any time I want. Just as soon as I'm done with this pack.

Mike P.
05-08-2006, 12:21 AM
I don't have a GPS but I still have a couple of shirts & a pair of shorts with tags on them from when I worked at the EMS Hatford store that closed in years ago, early 1999 I think, no later that January 2000.

I also have six pair of socks that must be 8 years old, still with the store band around them!

I've slowed down a lot, if they are not marked of over 50% I don't even look, well I look I just don;t buy, ............often

sapblatt
05-08-2006, 06:28 AM
Pretty much yes...
I always shop bargains (which creates a problem because something is always on sale but my mind operates as if I do not buy something on sale I will be forever doomed - its like losing money if you do not buy it,) but I always seem to need something else, even though I have everything. The latest proof?
I know with the new baby I will not be backpacking/overnighting this year - but, when I saw the recent REI sale catalog and saw two ultralight summer bags I started to get real antsy.
So far I have held off...I do have the shakes and I will be going to my GA meeting this morning for my 12 step plan to not buy a sleeping bag that I will not need for at least a year...
:D :D

cbcbd
05-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Oh yes, I buy everything that's a good deal... It doesn't help that I decide to upgrade my gear and get into new sports all at the same time.

Ok, I guess I'll make myself count:

3 tents, 3 sleeping bags (oldest rectangular lives in car now), 3 packs, 2 bikes, soon 2 kayaks (going composite this year), 2 skis...

Not too dramatic... but I ain't over yet ;)

hogabum
05-08-2006, 09:40 AM
I am NOT a gearaholic! But I am a "packaholic". I usually go though a whole "need" versus " want" argument with myself when looking at new gear and end up deciding that I don't REALLY "need" it and end up not buying anything.

But packs are a different story, I have 10 ranging from a North Face BackMagic down to an EMS fanny pack. My newest is a GoLite Continium which is the most comfortable pack I have ever owned.

David Metsky
05-08-2006, 09:43 AM
I've got 10 pair of skis and 8 pair of ski boots, with a 9th on order. But nothing campares to Dana's quiver (http://www.narsil.org/Dana/dana.html).

I'll probably do a purge this summer, and get myself down to 5 pair of skis and 5 pair of boots. :) And get rid of 2 of my 4 bikes. But I'll probably buy another one of those.

4 or 5 sleeping bags, 3 tents, 6 or 7 packs, who knows what else lives in the gear closet?

-dave-

Jaytrek57
05-08-2006, 09:57 AM
who knows what else lives in the gear closet?

Closet?

I can't be the only one with a gear "room".

Since we moved I now have more space, so logically speaking...I need more gear. At least that's my position when I argue...{ahem}...talk with my wife.

Peace.

sapblatt
05-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Closet?

I can't be the only one with a gear "room".
Since we moved I now have more space, so logically speaking...I need more gear. At least that's my position when I argue...{ahem}...talk with my wife.

Peace.
Oh, it is hardly a closet in my house too...it is a very large corner of the basement!

Jeff-B
05-08-2006, 12:12 PM
I built a BARN for all my gear.......
and have no problem owning as much gear to fill it and then use it all!

I would hardly consider it "gearaholism", unless you DON'T use it all, and then continue to buy more!
Or, continue to buy gear when house is foreclosing or utilites shut off. :eek:

"gearhead"?
YES...bonified! ;)
Problem?
NO

But interesting to note how others may percieve one's vast array of gear as a "problem".
"For who?", I ask. :D

Jeff

skiguy
05-08-2006, 12:58 PM
I've got 10 pair of skis and 8 pair of ski boots, with a 9th on order. But nothing campares to Dana's quiver (http://www.narsil.org/Dana/dana.html).

I'll probably do a purge this summer, and get myself down to 5 pair of skis and 5 pair of boots. :) And get rid of 2 of my 4 bikes. But I'll probably buy another one of those.

4 or 5 sleeping bags, 3 tents, 6 or 7 packs, who knows what else lives in the gear closet?

-dave-

Like they say the only difference between Men and Boys is the size and number of their toys!

McRat
05-08-2006, 02:59 PM
My name is McRat, and I'm a gearaholic.

I finally realized the extent of the madness, and am trying to get a grip on it.

My obsession is symbolized by my spiffy titanium spork.

I paid $8 to reduce an 1/8th of an ounce from my pack weight.

Yet I carry an extra 30lbs of food under my skin. :rolleyes:

Thank goodness I can laugh at myself...

Mike P.
05-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Thanks Mike for the funny reminder. While working at EMS I bought a Jr. 20 degree bag that I got off the clearance rack before 07/1998. Two things make this funny:

Our oldest child was born in 2000, but we knew we would have children (science & biology willing) :eek:

By mistake I brought the Jr. Bag to Europe so the few days we car camped I slept in (sort of) a bag designed for a five footer, not a wide six footer! :D

jfb
05-09-2006, 09:24 AM
So, are you one of those who can't pass up a great deal on a piece of gear even if you have no need for it because you already have one (and a back-up)?

I guess I qualify as a recovering gearoholic. I can't stop buying gear (especially on sale) even if I already own one, but after buying the new item I force myself to give away the old one to either the local Goodwill store or a Boy Scout troop.

trailbiscuit
05-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Yes, and I like it!
Of course, my whole "wardrobe" could be considered gear. At present: Montrail trailrunners, Smartwool socks, ArcTeryx Pants and a Patagonia shirt. :rolleyes:

Guinness
05-09-2006, 09:20 PM
I have been a Gearoholic for many years. This is due to too much money and too many experiments. Let’s break down the obsession.

8 Backpacks.
13 Sleeping Bags (-25°f – 32°f)
7 Tents (4 expedition grade).
9 Stoves.
12 Headlamps.
Several climbing ropes, axes, biners, etc.
3 harnesses.
5 pair of boots.
3 Crampons.
4 Instep Crampons.
3 Hiking Pole sets.
7 Gore-tex / Imitation Gore-Tex, Coats (and matching pants).
4 Goose Down Coats.
18 Pairs of gloves.
102 Dehydrated Mountain House meals on the shelf (I buy in bulk).
18 Nalgene water bottles.
etc., etc., etc.

If I ever hold a eBay sale, many folks will be happy.

I buy nothing but TNF, Bibler, Black Diamond, Marmot, Sierra Designs, MSR, some REI, but NO EMS CRAP (sorry if I upset some but all the EMS branded gear I have bought never lasted longer than one major event. On a big mountain I want security and safety, not price, not warranty).

I often am amazed how much I spent over the years which I know it has been about $4K per year for the last 10 years or more. Often I buy gear just to try it out and never use it again. Always seeking for just the right gear.

Woody
05-09-2006, 10:48 PM
On top of all my hiking and climbing gear I also have 4 sets of ice hockey goalie pads. The oldest pair date from the early 70's and newest pair I bought last summer for this past season. It doesn't matter what the sport is....I just need more gear! Between my son's climbing and hockey gear and mine, we take up half the basement.

Jasonst
05-10-2006, 06:48 AM
I guess I qualify... I was sure I had enough gear - and then EMS started carrying Osprey packs... Then they went on sale... That's when I knew I desperately needed another pack. Ahhh...(release tourniquet)

Like Mike said, I felt like I was losing money if I didn't buy something at that sale... I need help...

Pete_Hickey
05-10-2006, 07:27 AM
I don't think I am, but after decades, one tends to collect a lot. I might buy a new pack every 10 years, but I keep the old one. I have a bunch of old synthetic sleeping bags which I only use car-camping now. I've got things I needed when the kids were young, but don't really need now.... Yeah, I've got lots of stuff, but....

I don't think the amount of gear one has, necessarily indicates they are a gear-aholic. I think it's the attitude... interest in every new-fangled device that comes out.

timmus
05-10-2006, 09:04 AM
I need to buy new gear all the time, not because it's an obsession, but because I always buy the wrong stuff... Last item I bought was a backpack for winter hiking, and I chose such a small one that I can't fit everything I need in (ask Frodo about it...)

I also bought 3 pairs of hiking poles within a month, because I didn't know what was right for me.

It's not a lack of experience, as some might think, it's just that I really hate shopping, and I pick whatever is in front of my eyes, and say : yeah, fine, that will do...Let's get the * out of here.

KayakDan
05-10-2006, 10:40 AM
I'm in the "unfortunate" position of being maried to a woman who enjoys all the outdoorsy stuff I like to do. So if I buy a piece of gear-we buy 2 at a time-and of course there's nobody to restrain me from getting that cool piece of gear we gotta have-and we gotta have 2! I know I have a problem,and I take my Titanium Affliction in stride.
Recently we got to a point where we could stroll around REI,or thumb through the Campmor catalog and there was nothing left to buy-truly depressing :rolleyes:
And then we did it -we bought "the big sailboat" We resisted for years,sailed on other peoples boats,rentals etc. but we had "a moment" while sailing in Exuma last year.

"QUICK! Hide my West Marine catalog and my credit card!" :eek:

DougPaul
05-10-2006, 11:27 AM
And then we did it -we bought "the big sailboat" We resisted for years,sailed on other peoples boats,rentals etc. but we had "a moment" while sailing in Exuma last year.
At least you won't have to buy 2 of everything for the sailboat... :)

(And yes, I have an idea of what it costs to keep a sailboat going. Abandon all savings, ye who enter.)

Doug
Confirmed OBPer.

For the non-sailors: OPB="other people's boats"

4000'er
05-10-2006, 11:33 AM
I need to buy new gear all the time, not because it's an obsession, but because I always buy the wrong stuff... Last item I bought was a backpack for winter hiking, and I chose such a small one that I can't fit everything I need in (ask Frodo about it...)

Good point Timmus,
After I buy something, I usually go into PPDAR (Post Purchase Decision and Regret)
Did I really get the right thing? Did I really get the right price? Even if I research the heck out of something, I still feel PPDAR. If I can just hold on I can enjoy what I bought, but more times than not I end up returning it. This most recently happened when I was shopping for a camp Dutch Oven for car camping with the family and scouts. I read, researched, and went to store after store. I ended up bringing home 3 of them and later returning 2. (I ended up keeping the 12” Lodge Logic which I am now thrilled about) :)
Great price at Sports Authority in Manchester, NH by the way.

Jeff-B
05-10-2006, 12:20 PM
I don't think I am, but after decades, one tends to collect a lot. I might buy a new pack every 10 years, but I keep the old one. I have a bunch of old synthetic sleeping bags which I only use car-camping now. I've got things I needed when the kids were young, but don't really need now.... Yeah, I've got lots of stuff, but....

I don't think the amount of gear one has, necessarily indicates they are a gear-aholic. I think it's the attitude... interest in every new-fangled device that comes out.

Hey Pete!
Give us a rundown of your "axe and chainsaw quiver"! :)

And I agree, its not the amount of equipment you own...its the attitude!

Although I do tend to buy the latest, I wait for reviews, or better, closeouts.
I rarely purchase the "new fangled device" when it comes out at full price, but somehow I end up with it due to the sale price.
I am at the point with my gear now that I can say..."I need nothing"
I think....:rolleyes:

But then you must separate "needs" from "wants" which help keep it all in check.

Jeff

KayakDan
05-10-2006, 12:49 PM
At least you won't have to buy 2 of everything for the sailboat... :)

(And yes, I have an idea of what it costs to keep a sailboat going. Abandon all savings, ye who enter.)

Doug
Confirmed OBPer.

For the non-sailors: OPB="other people's boats"
BOAT=Break Out Another Thousand!

The 2 happiest days in a sailors life
The day he buys the boat
The day he sells the boat! :D

dvbl
05-10-2006, 03:12 PM
BOAT=Break Out Another Thousand!

The 2 happiest days in a sailors life
The day he buys the boat
The day he sells the boat! :D

Definition of boat: A hole in the water that you pour money into.

carole
05-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Reading the replies, I haven’t decided whether I am or not. I do have an assortment of packs, boots, etc. but all are used for different types of hikes (season, length, etc.) Some have been replaced by something better and I just haven’t gotten around to finding a good home for replaced item yet. I do have a ‘gear’ room. If I’m in a gear store I like looking around especially for bargains but I can reason on whether I ‘need’ it or not and can walk out empty handed. I do get the assortment of catalogs but often toss them without looking because I just don’t ‘need’ anything. And I, fortunately, don’t live near enough to any good stores so I don’t get inside them that often. I don’t want to drive to one if I don’t ‘need’ anything and when I’m near some when hiking they aren’t open yet on the way there and I stink too much on the way home to want to go in.

But I have had fun on some shopping trips. Example:

Last year in search of a soft-shell that might fit my needs (returned several that left me thinking I just didn’t like them) I found one that fit and felt pretty nice, was a great price – and they had a color I liked. Okay, I’ll give it a try but now I needed a hat to go with it. Found it. Then jokingly while looking at packs (which I didn’t need) I saw one that matched!! And again it was at an unbeatable price. As I examined it I found that it fit great and had just what I needed for a winter pack – better than the one I had. Now that winter is done I found that all three have become favorites.

Only thing is my snowshoes don’t match…But that is for a new thread (http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?p=140661#post140661post140661)

David Metsky
05-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Give us a rundown of your "axe and chainsaw quiver"! :)
I have 3-4 trails axes, 1 speed axe, 2 cross-cut saws, 1 bow saw, 1 pole saw, 2 rock bars, and assorted pulaskis, grub hoes, and shovels. But no chainsaw; those I borrow.

-dave-

sleeping bear
05-10-2006, 03:26 PM
A while ago Backpacker magazine had a "quiz" to see if you were a "gearaholic". I passed with flying colors. :D

I'll see if I can dig it up...

Pete_Hickey
05-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Hey Pete!
Give us a rundown of your "axe and chainsaw quiver"! :) Dunno. A few. Hey, the axe in my avatar isn't even mine. It's one of my son's toys.

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/jr_pack.jpg

You can see it in his pack. I borrow gear from my kids, but he doesn't trust me with his good axe.

Also... In keeping wioth the thread.... I have NO titanium... except for the assorted screws, bolts, and bars that hold some of my bones together.

Did you know that titanium bonds to bones better than stainless steel?

Really!

Gris
05-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Was just starting to slip into gear-aholism. then it suddenly dawned on me that a lot of the stuff wasn't really essential & that i could buy a heck of a lot of post hike beer & ice cream (essential) w/ what it was all worth. so i sold most of it on E-bay over the last two years. of course, now i have a very serious E-bay addiction which has cost me LOTS more than i made off the hiking stuff... (all true) :o

Kevin Rooney
05-10-2006, 05:12 PM
I've enjoyed reading this thread. I own alot of gear, but during the past 3 years or so have managed to buy mostly what I needed to replace something that was worn out, damaged or lost. That's not to say I haven't made a few impulse buys, like buying a discontinued pair of new Tubbs 'shoes from their Stowe HQ a couple of days before they closed for good, or a spare pair of hiking poles 'just in case'. But, I only own one 30-degree bag, one -30 degree bag, etc.

What I've found it that when there's a huge urge to buy a piece it's often to meet some other need, and not related to hiking. So, sometimes I go thru this process of selecting the item, and then telling myself to sit on it for a week. If I still 'need' it after a week then I'll get it. But, mostly I save some $$.

If I have a weakness it's for jackets, and I probably have 3 or 4 redundant 2-ply shells which I could just as well donate. I also believe in the karmic principle that sometimes in order for sometime new to come into your life you have to let go of something old.

DougPaul
05-10-2006, 08:56 PM

Also very resistant to corrosion by body fluids.

Doug

deanmacg
05-11-2006, 09:09 AM
12 pr of mounted tele skis
16 tents
20 packs
10 sleeping bags - 7 of them Feathered Friends
the list is long

KayakDan
05-11-2006, 10:46 AM

Really!

And it won't screw up your compass! :D

Halite
05-11-2006, 10:50 AM
16 tents
20 packs
the list is long

It's time to show this thread to my wife. I am now absolved of all gearaholic guilt! Thank you for making my gear fetish appear sane. :p

DougPaul
05-11-2006, 12:23 PM
And it won't screw up your compass! :D
Some alloys of stainless steel are magnetic, some are not.

Doug

jrichard
05-11-2006, 08:05 PM
16 tents
20 packs
the list is long

This probably rivals the inventory of mall-based EMS stores.

It seems that no one pays full price for gear anymore, but assuming you did, conservatively:
12 * 500 +
16 * 200 +
20 * 200 +
10 * 200 = $15,200

On the flip side, this probably makes you popular among co-workers, etc...

sleeping bear
05-11-2006, 08:18 PM
From Backpacker magazine-

Are you a gear geek?
One point for every one you answer yes to.

You give gear to non-hikers for Christmas hoping they'll give it back.
Your watch is bigger than your MP3 player.
You store sleeping pads under your bed (unrolled of course, with the valves open)
Your REI co-op number is stuck to your driver’s license.
You once purchased several yards of fleece to make hiking clothes.
You actually made the clothes.
You know the boot size of one of Backpacker’s regular field testers.
You’ve lain awake at night designing the perfect pack.
You’ve built shelving or storage space for your gear.
Your repair kit is larger than your first aid kit.
You have a filing system for gear catalogs.
You know what “e” in ePTFE stands for.
You wear tattered old boots so the new ones stay nice.
You keep Gear Guides beside your bed.
You shine your headlamp at those glow-in-the-dark zipper pulls so they will glow all night.
You bought extra trays for your food dehydrator, just in case.
You have a fond wilderness memory associated with your trekking poles.
You think a nipple ring is something you must unscrew when you convert a stove from gas to kerosene.
You currently have several boxes of powdered refried beans in your pantry.
You’ve taken a date to EMS.
You own an ultralight headlamp, a summer headlamp, a back-up headlamp, and a headlamp that you loan to friends.
You oil your multi tool.
You disassemble stoves just for fun.
You’ve learned to convert liters to cubic inches because you couldn’t stand not knowing the exact capacity of European-made packs.
You upgraded to Kevlar boot laces.
You applied Seam Grip to the stitching around your tent’s mesh windows.
You told your fiancé that titanium wedding bands are all the rage in Paris.
You’ve used superglue to close a cut and duct tape to prevent blisters.
You’ve upgraded GPS units three times.
You bought something you didn’t need from Sierra Trading Post because it was $8.97 (plus $13.95 shipping).
You know the difference between water filters and water purifiers.
You’ve used the term “wicking” in everyday conversation.
You spent more on your soft shell than your last suit.
Your REI dividend is larger than your IRS refund.

Scoring-
25 or more
Yo Marvin, let that freak flag fly

12-24
There’s a 12 step program in your future

1-11
A few thugs from The North Face will be by your place tonight

Yeah, right, an Amish backpacker

I got 15. But since I knew that the quiz existed, still own the issue (March 2005), knew where to find it, and then typed it up??? Yeah, I bump my score up to 25. I'm a freak. :D

deanmacg
05-12-2006, 07:00 AM
12 - 24 = twelve step program. Been there done that. That`s why I`ve got the $$ for gear.

Lawn Sale
05-12-2006, 08:55 AM
This probably rivals the inventory of mall-based EMS stores.

It seems that no one pays full price for gear anymore, but assuming you did, conservatively:
12 * 500 +
16 * 200 +
20 * 200 +
10 * 200 = $15,200

On the flip side, this probably makes you popular among co-workers, etc...

It's funny you should mention the cost of the gear. On my gear spreadsheet, where I have the item, weights, where I bought it, etc, I have a subtotal at the bottom, not only for the pack weight, but also for the cost of what I have in my pack.

.................................................T otal........................Cost if
.................................................P rice.........................Bought
...........Pack weight...# Items.........Paid.......$$ Taken.......New...........% of New
Subtotal: 0.0 lbs...........269...........$1,784........$0...... .....$16,259..........11.0 %

Deals can be found, you just have to look for them and be lucky. Someone once defined luck as where preparation meets opportunity, and with lower prices all you need to do is find the item to be lucky. :)

deanmacg
05-12-2006, 09:19 AM
......On the flip side, this probably makes you popular among co-workers, etc...

Self employed. But sure comes in handy with the Boy Scouts.

Roxi
05-12-2006, 09:21 AM
From Backpacker magazine-

Are you a gear geek?
One point for every one you answer yes to.

A few additional items were left out by Backpacker Magazine:

1. You bought a cookbook because it had a recipe for "GORP Bars."
2. You bought hiking boots for your child while you were still pregnant with her.
3. You own more hiking boots and crocs than you do high heels.
4. You buy a new pair of hiking boots before your last ones wear out so you can break them in ahead of time and not have a blister on the trail!
5. TechWick, Smart Wool, Bergelene, and Gortex are your favorite "designer labels."
6. You bought an additional dresser just for your hiking clothes.
7. When contemplating a career change, you send your resume to EMS, LLBean, and Timberland regardless of what your degree is in because being able to see all the newest stuff first is a fringe benefit for you!
8. You ask your date what gear he owns and what he wears hiking and decide whether or not you will hike with him based on his answer (no, he doesn't have to match colors!)

Scoring-
25 or more - Yo Marvin, let that freak flag fly

12-24 - There’s a 12 step program in your future

1-11 - A few thugs from The North Face will be by your place tonight

0 - Yeah, right, an Amish backpacker

If it weren't for the additional items, I'd be expecting company tonight, but now I think I have to say, "My name is Roxi and I will be taking those 12 steps in my hiking boots up the next trail." ;)

sleeping bear
05-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Roxi, I love the additions! :D

4000'er
05-12-2006, 10:01 AM
On my gear spreadsheet,

That's gotta be worth a few points right there. :D

Lawn Sale
05-13-2006, 12:25 AM
A few additional items were left out by Backpacker Magazine:

6. You bought an additional dresser just for your hiking clothes.

8. You ask your date what gear he owns and what he wears hiking and decide whether or not you will hike with him based on his answer (no, he doesn't have to match colors!)

What if you bought 2 dressers, one for winter clothes and one for summer? :D

I typically turn down dates because they don't hike or wear the "designer" labels. A guy's gotta have standards! :cool: