PDA

View Full Version : Lost my Dog on Hunter Mtn.

Sparkdog
05-07-2006, 07:45 PM
White English Setter lost 5/7 AM between Devil's Acre Lean-to and Hunter summit. If you saw him after 9 AM please let me know where and when.

keb
05-08-2006, 11:58 AM
bummer. In case you did not check, there is a posting under Trail Conditions/NY of someone else on Hunter that day. You might want to email them. Good luck.

jade
05-08-2006, 01:25 PM
A while back a guy in NH lost his dog while out on the trails. The dog got spooked, took off and was gone for a few days. There was a very happy ending when someone found the dog and took him in. The human and dog were soon reunited.
I hope you and your dog have the same very good luck. Don't give up, you will find your pup...

Sending good thoughts your way...
...Jade

una_dogger
05-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Vibes on finding your pup, I can only imagine how worried you must be!
Hugs!

cantdog
05-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Bummer. Was he wearing a collar with tags? Best wishes for a happy ending!

mudhook51
05-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Did you leave a jacket or something with your scent on it near where the dog ran off? Sometimes a dog will return and wait there. I will check with a couple friends who live in Spruceton and Hunter area. You might also try calling Hunter Mt. Ski area.

NukedRocket
05-08-2006, 03:38 PM
I too was on Hunter yesterday, but saw no pups. :( Up and down via Becker Hollow Trail, saw only 4 people both ways, heard nothing but birds. Sorry. Best of luck in your search.

SAR-EMT40
05-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Most times, and I have seen this happen more than once, the dog returns to where it was last with you. Good luck, I hope you find your dog.

Keith

Peakbagr
05-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Go back and put a shirt with your scent on it a hundred yards up the trail. Preferably one with a good scent like a workout shirt.
We've done that to locate hunting dogs that took off after a snowshoe rabbit late in the day.
Good luck.

una_dogger
05-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Just adding that it IS a really good idea to leave scraps of a dirty tshirt hanging along the trail leading back to the trail head -- its true that your pup should catch a whiff.

Please report back when you find your pup!!!!
Hang in there,
Sabrina

Dugan
05-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Good advice with the scent. However, some messages interpretable by humans are also a good idea:

Notify all local authorities including: local police, state police, local animal shelters, veterinary offices, trail maintaining personnel

Make fliers, with a color picture. Include a thorough description, your contact information, alternate contact info, and a reward offer. Post them at the trail head and anywhere else people can get to - like the shelter. Be sure to mention any pertinent health issues. For ease of contacting you, might not be a bad idea to make those little slips at the bottom with a phone #, so that someone can easily rip one off. Also post them all over likely towns.

A couple of other possibilities:
If your dog is an intact male, and you have access to a bitch in season, set up camp where you last saw your dog for a few days. The scent will typically draw in an intact male.
If your dog has a special dog-buddy - do likewise. They may home in on each other.

Best of luck.

Tom Rankin
05-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Make fliers, with a color picture.
Most dog lovers have tons of pics of their dog(s), but make sure you have a good side and front shot, with perspective in it so people can see how big Rover is.

Good luck, from another dog lover, and frequent hiker of Hunter. :)

Sparkdog
05-09-2006, 05:38 AM
Sparky showed up yesterday at someone's house down the other side of Hunter in Lanesville. He (and we) are very relieved but he is completely worn out.

Thanks for all your input.

Peakbagr
05-09-2006, 06:23 AM
:) :) That is just great news! I'm sure it will bring a smile to many faces around here. :) :) :)

--M.
05-09-2006, 06:51 AM
Thanks for following up; nice to see one go well!

jade
05-09-2006, 07:03 AM
YAY Sparky!!! :) :D :) :D Now if only he could share his experiences and let you know how he got separated.....

Yes, thanks for letting us know......
....Jade

Dugan
05-09-2006, 07:24 AM
YAY Sparky!!! :) :D :) :D Now if only he could share his experiences and let you know how he got separated.....

Yes, thanks for letting us know......
....Jade

Agreed - what goes on in those tiny little pooch brains???

You and Sparky must be thrilled with your happy ending!

una_dogger
05-09-2006, 07:49 AM
OH thank goodness!
Thanks for letting us know!!!!

Sabrina

hermit
05-09-2006, 08:19 AM
I am glad you found your dog,I was going to that area Wed.to check things out.

cbcbd
05-09-2006, 08:32 AM
Glad you found your pup... what a relief that is :)

mtnmama
05-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Glad to hear Sparky's back home.

sapblatt
05-09-2006, 08:47 AM
That is great news!!! :) :) :)

David Metsky
05-09-2006, 09:05 AM
I updated the icon, since we have had a happy ending. :)

-dave-

Mark Schaefer
05-09-2006, 09:27 AM
Sounds like Sparky has the heart of a through hiker with good tastes in scenic and remote trails. Agreed, if dogs could only speak a human tongue there would be quite a tale. Glad to hear the happy ending. :)

4000'er
05-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Cool, A happy ending.

jade
05-09-2006, 10:18 AM
I think Sparky may have read Dugan's post about a 'bitch in season' and went in search of her.....that is, and should remain, his private story..... :D

MadRiver
05-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Im glad your dog is safe and at home. I am curious about one thing, however. How did the leash break?

woodstrider
05-09-2006, 11:41 AM
I am so glad that this thread had a happy outcome.

Happy Trails to you both

cantdog
05-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the update.

jbrown
05-09-2006, 11:52 AM
I had no advice to give, nor could I help, living in NY, but thought I'd say WHOOPEE! Great that you found him. :D

jjo
05-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Great news!! glad he's back. thanx for update...

smitty77
05-09-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm glad you found your hiking partner again. I don't know what I'd do if my girl ran off.

Congrats on finding your pup!
Matt

jade
05-09-2006, 03:38 PM
I gave MadRiver a whoopin' for his post...it appears he became impatient with his oxen.....I think he's all set now... :D

bintrepidhiker
05-09-2006, 04:35 PM
yay! another happy ending! glad to hear all is well with both of you again :D

skibones
05-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Great news that you found your puppy. I never bring my puppies with me hiking because I'm afraid of they'll run off or get eaten by something bigger.

MattC
05-09-2006, 06:59 PM

If Sparky showed up in Lanesville, he probably found his way down and out the south end of Diamond Notch. He probably just wanted to go bag Leavitt Peak. We'll have to look for a paw print in the canister book. :D

Matt

una_dogger
05-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I was wondering what that reference was all about, no regs against off leash dogs in the Catskills....! :confused:

MadRiver
05-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Yeah, I was wondering what that reference was all about, no regs against off leash dogs in the Catskills....! :confused:

Catskill Forest Preserve
Courtesy of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation

If you bring a pet - Your pet must be under control at all times. When others approach, particularly small children and other animals, leash your dog. Keep your pet quiet. Remove droppings from the trail and camping areas.

una_dogger
05-10-2006, 08:00 AM
Catskill Forest Preserve
Courtesy of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation

If you bring a pet - Your pet must be under control at all times. When others approach, particularly small children and other animals, leash your dog. Keep your pet quiet. Remove droppings from the trail and camping areas.

Seems standard -- thanks for the post, I think most hikers here would agree that they call up their dog and keep them from approaching others uninvited.

Campgrounds generally have the regs, though, not open trail.

Not to argue with you , but I did DEC permitted research in the catskills for five years, and in the open woods there aren't on leash restrictions, in voice control yes -- and I don't see what any of it has to do with the dog who was lost ! (and thankfully found!!)

David Metsky
05-10-2006, 08:42 AM
I think we've run our course here. Dog found, everyone's happy.

-dave-