PDA

View Full Version : Sweat: A Formidable Wall Against Bugs?

Artex
06-12-2006, 06:04 PM
After work, I went for a trail run and when I was done, I looked down and noticed at least a dozen little black things all over my chest and abs. Upon closer observation, they were black flies and some other unidentified bugs drowned in a thick layer of sweat. None had bitten me, and most looked dead. I assume the live ones were a fresh catch.

Could sweating like a pig also serve as a great defense against bugs? Hike hard and fast and they'll drown before they can get to your skin. I think I'm on to something. :D :p ;)

I'm only halfway serious here, but it did get me thinking.

Kevin Rooney
06-12-2006, 06:18 PM
I think it might be just the reverse. While they may have drowned in your sweat - have read that mosquitoes and other biting bugs find us thru odor and the increased CO2 output of exercise. Hence the admonition to stay away from scented soaps/shampoos/deodorants before a hike.

Of course- you might be a descendent of some outerworld creature. Remember the Alien movies where the creature's saliva ate thru plate steel? Checked your DNA lately? ;) ;)

trailbiscuit
06-12-2006, 07:41 PM
I've noticed this phenomenon myself. (Although, I'm going to say in my flabby gut, not abs.) My guess has been that you're moving fast enough that they "crash" into you and are killed or disabled.

You could always try some extensive research here:
http://runreg.com/events/register.asp?EventID=1330