PDA

View Full Version : advice for 2 hikes (easy hike / Stairs mtn?)

arghman
10-04-2006, 04:27 PM
I could use some suggestions on hikes--

(1) a *very* easy hike (or an easy hike with very good footing) w/ good views -- I'll be spending time with some friends including 1 couple expecting a baby & I'm not sure how interested she is in worrying about avoiding falls. I was thinking taking the auto road to Mt Kearsarge, it's something like 1/4 mile from the parking lot to the top, but I remember it being kind of rocky.

(2) Give me some pluses/minuses about Stairs Mtn via the Davis Path. I've been to Mt Crawford before & I'm thinking about extending to Stairs...
...is Mt Resolution on trail or is that a short bushwhack? I know Crawford has really good views, but not sure if I want to go further on. This time of year my body wants me to hibernate & I would be really bummed out if I did a 10-mile hike to somewhere not very interesting. My fallback hike would be Welch-Dickey but I just know it's going to be crowded this wkend.

DougPaul
10-04-2006, 04:56 PM
For the very easy trip, you could take the gondola up Cannon.

Mt Crawford should be nice. Stairs also. The Davis Path is very easy over to Stairs Col, but a bit rough between the Col and Stairs.

Resolution is a very short bushwack off the trail. Supposed to have nice views. The first part of the Parker trail is steep and slabby.

Crawford + Stairs + Resolution makes a nice moderate day.

Doug

Peak Seeker
10-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Arghman
What kind of mileage / verticle gain are you thinking would be best for the group? And do you have a preference regarding the area, i.e. Franconia, vs. Pinkham area??

buckyball1
10-04-2006, 07:54 PM
excellent views going up to and from Resolution-hike to "top" is pretty easy- the "true" summit is maybe 0.1-0.15? off the trail and only if you "must"

jn316
10-04-2006, 08:58 PM
a very easy hike sorta like the Mt Kearsarge road-and-then-trail from Rollins Park, but much easier footing (but longer drive) is mt Ascutney in Vt.
It's a lovely drive this time of year, (most things are) and the toll road goes through a nice forest with some outlooks. Then the trail to the observation tower is about 1/2 mi. with easy footing, through a birch and fir forest, with nice ferns. Great views of mts and pastoral Vt. valleys.

The Crawford/Stairs hike is a nice day, but a little longer than it seems. I go to Stairs first, saving Crawford for last.

arghman
10-05-2006, 08:00 AM
thanks, that helps.

re: (1) time availability seems to be more of an issue, we may just end up walking in the woods around town, I know of a few places here in Goffstown or Manchester. I'll file away Ascutney for some time in the future...

(2) -- I will definitely have to go to Stairs/Resolution then -- probably another wkend though, some changes in plans have come up.

thanks all!

Bob Kittredge
10-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Jazzbo and I did Crawford and Stairs with the NH AMC a couple weeks ago. Very pleasant.

Two warnings:

Be careful at the junction with the Parker Trail. The Parker is a hard right. Davis Path bears right. I kept heading more or less straight and found myself on the spur trail that leads to Resolution Shelter. Whoops!

As you're going up Stairs, you'll hit a little spur path to a "downlook"; nice, but it's not the summit. Instead, continue on Davis Path a ways to another spur to the right which is only marked with a campsite sign. That's the one that takes you to the main summit ledge in all its glory.

giggy
10-05-2006, 02:37 PM
what about frank cliff, and arthusa (sp?) falls.

great gulf trail for the first 3 miles is very easy and very nice.

Sugarloafer
10-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Mt. Willard up in Crawford Notch......pretty easy hike with some nice views.

RoySwkr
10-06-2006, 12:13 PM
something like 1/4 mile from the parking lot to the top, but I remember it being kind of rocky.

It is sort of rocky

For even more trivial there is a new graded path to the hawk watch site on South Pack Monadnock, but hardly worth the $3 fee

...is Mt Resolution on trail or is that a short bushwhack?
It is like .2 miles according to topozone, there may be a false bump
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44.14611&lon=-71.31611