PDA

View Full Version : Is the cold keeping you home?

truepatriot09
01-10-2004, 08:13 AM
We may be holding off our plans for tomorrow. Only going to be in the teens here at the coast, don't think my puppies will appreciate below freezing weather.

Anyone else?

vegematic
01-10-2004, 08:18 AM
I'm heading out for a short one this afternoon. May head out tomorrow too but that depends more on the cold in my head than the cold outside. Besides, up here in western Maine they're saying we might make the teens tomorrow. A heat wave!

poison ivy
01-10-2004, 08:23 AM
The cold is keeping me in today... we woke up to find our pipes had frozen overnight. I figure if it's cold enough to freeze our pipes then it's too cold for me to hike today.

It's probably just as well since I've been sick this week anyway.

- Ivy

KZKlimber
01-10-2004, 08:35 AM
The cold won't be keeping the Pats in tonight.

We're planning to ice climb Sunday - Hands will be the biggest problem gripping the ropes and tools. That and the fact that you are not always moving like a ski or snowshoe.

KZ

SherpaKroto
01-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Cold isn't, but wife is;)

Mark
01-10-2004, 10:24 AM
From the Mount Washington Weather Center (http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/index.php) under Past Comments:

The snow tractor was finally able to make it up the auto road today to pick up the TV-crew from ABC-7 NYC, after dangerous conditions had not allowed the tractor to yesterday. Even though conditions have improved somewhat from yesterday, it is still dangerously cold and hiking the higher summits is not recommended. Wind chills are still below -50F and frostbite is a major concern.
The weather crew was able to see Mt. Marcy 130 miles to the west in the clear, cold air.

I don't think I would stay away from some of the easier, lower summits due to the weather, but I have nothing planned. I will probably go out and do my usual 5-mile circuit in the Fells Reservation. My family thinks I am nuts. So what else is new?

MichaelJ
01-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Staying in, working on my sled, and making a gallon of clam chowder to bring to the Gathering.

Sometimes "cozy" just wins.
:)

miehoff
01-10-2004, 12:35 PM
I might go up tonight and do something tomorrow, not sure. I was hiking up close to Berlin, NH last year in zero temps and I really didn't have much of a problem. My nose didn't run since all of that nose stuff was frozen, hehe...

crazymama
01-10-2004, 01:06 PM
Went out this morning for a 4 mile running race. Temp was about
-7F and the windchill supposedly -21F.

I felt pretty good while moving. But as soon as I stopped those warm sweaty clothes turned to damp frigid clothes. I was amazed how long it took me to get warm again, even in my car with the heater on.

I'm going to stay in the rest of the weekend and get my stuff ready for the Gathering next weekend!

sp1936
01-10-2004, 01:34 PM
My plans to get to the mountains were scuttled by reasons not related to the weather. More like SherpaKroto's. But staying home doesn't mean staying inside. ;)

Yesterday, I hiked the Fire Island National Seashore from Smith's Point to Bellport Beach and back. Awesome. This is the best time of year for shells; not much competition from other collectors. Got some great ones. Temperature plunged from teens to single digits during hike. Winds 10-20 mph. A ranger driving by stopped and asked me "Are you all right?" "Yeah, sure, are you?" :rolleyes:

Today, just got back from the big loop around Connetquot Preserve. Lots of deer and, surprisingly, lots of other hikers. Highest temperature of day was 10 degrees in my driveway when I returned. Wind same as yesterday.

Tomorrow? Shelter Island sounds good. :D

Steve

Barry Sr
01-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Staying home today, makin' homemade jerky. and having a few while watching the game.

Getting out tomorrow for a short pass through the Bluehills.
Cold, hot or in between.

PINPIN JUNIOR
01-10-2004, 03:39 PM
I think: it is not a bad weather it is only people with bad clothes!!!!

Pinpin Junior:D

bogorchis
01-10-2004, 06:31 PM
i'm going out tomorrow, but in southern NH, not on a high summit. It is supposed to be in the teens, so it will feel tropical!:)

carole
01-10-2004, 06:31 PM
I agree with PINPIN!! Four of us had a great day hiking the Tripyramids. No wind, sunny summits (they even felt warm in comparison) and fantastic views. This was in spite of waking up to no water due to frozen pipes.

snowshoe
01-10-2004, 06:45 PM
I got out for a short hike today. Would have gone longer but was expecting company today. I went out for a hike at around 10AM and the temp was -4 with a windchill of -22. This was in High Point SP in NJ. Was glad I got out because of the crystal clear sky and bright sun made all the ice covered trees look awsome. This was from last Sundays ice storm at elavations above 1200ft. I guess you can say nothing will keep me from hiking just have to dress properly. I am going down to the Delaware Water Gap for a 10 mile hike tomorrow. Should be a little warmer although It is suppose to be below 0 again tonight. The way I look at it is when the temps hit 20 degrees it will feel like a heat wave.

sardog1
01-10-2004, 07:38 PM
When is this "cold" supposed to arrive? :confused:

Not cold yet.

:cool:, maybe.

:D

Pete_Hickey
01-10-2004, 07:52 PM
No climbing, bacause of work. However, I commuted to work by bicycle a day or so ago, in -20F... which leads me to an interesting oddity.

I've suffered minor frostbite (blisters) 5-6 times, but never hiking, skiing, etc. It has always been on my cmomute to work. I wonder how many people get frostbite commuting to an office job.

Nonlegit
01-11-2004, 07:49 AM
Well...i went running yesterday for a workout seeing ashow i cant really run in the hallways at school like the sprinters can...and so i went out and did some hills and came back, only about 7 miles cause my hands never really warmed up. Other than that, i havent done anything. Im going to Utah this week to warm up and get some skiing in =). Its funny, because I feel colder when im outside now compared to how i feel in even colder temps up on some high summit. I think its the psychological effect that when im out backpacking, im not going to go inside and get warm anyware, but walking around im looking for my house or my car or something.

bogorchis
01-11-2004, 07:57 AM
Couldn't agree more. I have always felt colder in the burbs, and I think you are right about how we know we have a warm house or car to get into. Outside in the woods, we are much more self sufficient, cause we know that we have to be!:D

truepatriot09
01-11-2004, 08:33 AM
yeah, i agree, all you need is the right clothing. but between my wife balking at going, my dog giving me the 'what do you expect me to do' look every time we go outside, the nfl playoffs and the fact that i still haven't seen return of the king yet, i'm bagging my trip today. we'll hit it over next week's long weekend.

have fun everyone...

JohnL
01-11-2004, 09:19 AM
I could have gone hiking today (Sunday) but I chose to go yesterday because it was colder. Photos are here (http://community.webshots.com/album/110398540lMNsJN) and you can check http://appalachia.outdoors.org/bbs/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=4565 for a trip report.
Today I get to go furniture shopping. :o

JohnL

Barry Sr
01-11-2004, 10:16 AM
Damn, those are some nice shots.
What is that blue thing up high over everything?
I hiked last weekend and it seems like every time I do hike, I never see that thing.

I just looked it up, it's the sky, Yipee.

I'm heading out right now.
Thanks for the inspiration.

sli74
01-11-2004, 01:11 PM
Thanks for letting me live vicariously through your pictures JohnL, the Cabot summit looks an awful lot like the Tecumseh summit :)

I have been watching the playoffs and cooking food for the Gathering, so warmth and indoors for me, but I sure am jealous about your hike.

sli74

MichaelJ
01-11-2004, 01:15 PM
Gorgeous! How can you go wrong with "I can feel my eyelids freezing together" ??? Thanks for sharing the pics, John, I'm very jealous.
:)

Fear not, Sli, we have a nice long weekend in the ADK's coming up to play!

Mike
01-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Hiked yesterday (Saturday). Hiking peaks with trails primarily in the woods and close enough to get me home in time for the playoffs. Rte 93 is awesome, no traffic or toll back-ups.

rtrimarc
01-12-2004, 09:44 AM
We were all set to go to the Cascade X-C Full Moon party Saturday nite. Only 4 of our party made it, everyone else bailed. My ride cancelled, so i didn't make it up there. There were reports of -20 to -25 deg temps in Placid. Our friends that made is said it was rather cold.

I did go to the EMS snowshoe expo in the Albany Pine Bush Saturday am. THAT was cold, but i can report the MSR Evo's are a step above my Denali Ascents. Nice shoe. I felt bad for the snowshoe guys and gals there. Just standing there all day...

Raced in the Great Gore Mt. Racquette Snowshoe race at Gore Mt. Sunday am, but temps were a balmy 6 at start time, so it had warmed up considerably.

RVT

bogorchis
01-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Sunday wasn't bad! But, we weren't up high. Good for the people that did go out on Saturday like John who went to Cabot. The sky looked so beautiful from your pics!:)

chomp
01-12-2004, 10:39 AM
I got out on Saturday all day and had a great time. Me and my buddies got a late start, but the sun was out and it was feeling pretty good. I had long johns and pants on to start, as well as a few layers on top. We ate pretty well and drank plenty of hot chocolate to keep warm.

Later in the day, as the sun went down, so did our body temperature. We built a nice big fire at our campsite to keep us warm and we all huddles around it for a while. Just when we were getting warm, though, we decided that it was too nice of a night to stay put, so we went for a little jaunt. The moon was out and it was perfectly clear.

Away from our fire, it was colder than we would have liked, but we stayed together and jumped around or yelled just to stay warm. More hot chocolate helped that cause as well. In a few cases, we had to hug one another just to stave off the cold.

After that, it was back to our campsite and fire, which was long since out. We quickly started that again with some fresh wood and white gas. Before long the fire was again blazing and we were warm and happy.. even happier once we had some more food and more hot chocolate.

Confused? Well, the food was steak tips, burgers and chicken. The hot chocolate was spiked with Dr. Magillicuty's. The walk was this nice little paved trail along Route 1, to the Patriots Game of course! Over 10 hours out in the cold on saturday and it was all worth it, as the Pats are just one win away from Houston. Go Pats!

-Chomp

rambler
01-12-2004, 11:15 AM
Well, here are a couple of my favorite cold weather quotes I've heard so far this winter: 1) Coming from a well known Yankee nearing the summit of Flume, "Phew, I have not hiked in a couple of weeks, I can feel it" -- slight pause -- "Then again, I do not want to disparage a lifestyle of sitting on the living room couch wearing only underpants with the TV and a six pack!"
2.) From an 83 year old guy skiing down a powder run through the trees at Alta, "Wow, after a run like that, it makes a guy feel like he's in his seventies again."

So, layer up, get out there and enjoy the cold.

I still cannot get one of our pipes to unfreeze. Any ideas other than space heaters, hairdryers and 40 degree weather?

Tahawus
01-12-2004, 11:26 AM
Had been anticipating a full moon snowshoe up Mansfield but cloudy skis on the warm days, frozen pipes on the cold days and a 60 hour work week all conspired against me. Cloudy again so I probably won't be going out for a half moon snowshoe either.

Jake
01-12-2004, 02:18 PM
X-C skied in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness on Sat. Hiked up Hadley Mt. on Sunday. Layers, plenty to eat and drink (thermos of hot chocolate, and keep moving.