PDA

View Full Version : Editing a Trail Condition report

carole
01-26-2004, 09:23 AM
I always try to proof read and be sure my reports are accurate but I just realized a major error in one of my reports and there does not seem to be any way to edit them. Once you hit 'submit' there's no going back.

(On 1/17 I reported 6-8' of fresh powder on N Twin rather than 6-8", not very helpful for someone looking for accurate conditions.)

Would it be that difficult to have an edit feature as there is with the forum section?

Peakbagr
01-26-2004, 09:58 AM
Carole,

Thats an excellent suggestion. Darren is the engineer and he told me that when he set up VFTT, the "regular" Board is an off the shelf product. The Trail Conditions section is something different and he apparenty programmed it. He lost me with the details, but bottom-line, it could be time-consuming or difficult to change it without scrapping or losing stuff like the archives.
Thats one of the problems when folks post off-topic stuff or inappropriate things on the Trail Conditions. We can't just go in there and zap or modify the post. Anyone, even non-VFTT folks can post there.

Peakbagr

darren
01-27-2004, 04:30 PM
What he said. These forums are a commercial product that I bought. The trail conditions run on some custum perl scripts that I wrote a looong time ago. I can program, but I'm a hardware guy, not a software guy. Bottom line is what you see is what you get (or better yet, what you type is what you get)with the trail conditions.

- darren

chomp
01-28-2004, 09:01 AM
Darren -

Is your site set up to handle ASP? I know that this board is PHP, but I have receintly learned how to code a bit in ASP. I might be able to come up with some way to allow editing.

Of course, then there would have to be usernames and passwords for that area as well, and they most likely wouldn't be compatable... so there is that problem.

Ann
01-28-2004, 10:37 AM
Hey Chomp...you're so smart!!!! ;)

there would have to be usernames and passwords for that area as well

It seems like that may even be an advantage to Darren, maybe it will translate into less maintanence on that portion of the site. It seems like if someone had to register to post they'd be less likely to post garbage..and he'd have less to delete when someone posts anything non related or off posts on the Trails Conditon Section.