PDA

View Full Version : Class 5 bushwhacks

John H Swanson
10-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Just for the fun of it, let's list out a few of our class 5s. I'm not sure if this will be considered a warning or invitation. I guess it depends on your desires.

Hmmmm? Let's see.

there was:

Barren from Owl. (Baxter)
Anywhere on the east flank of Kilburn (dacks)
East Lily Bay (ME)
the col between Dartmouth from Millen Hill
West side of the captain
JHS

Neil
10-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Colour me newb, I've never even heard of one of those. Perhaps that's a good thing.

TCD
10-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Marshall from the South

Hough straight up from the Boquet valley

Hopkins to Knob Lock at night (all night; 8:00 PM - 3:10 AM)

All fun, though!

TCD

Neil
10-05-2004, 03:26 PM
It would be fun to organize a night group bushwhack. Something with an awesome view at dawn. BTW, What do you call that drink consisting of orange juice and champagne?

hillman1
10-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Mamosa.

Neil
10-05-2004, 05:00 PM
How about a night bushwhack finishing up on a high peak with freshly squeezed orange juice and champagne. Call it the Mamosa challenge or something.

mavs00
10-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Neil
It would be fun to organize a night group bushwhack.............

Are you people INSANE :D .

I can't think of many bushwhacks that I'd have enjoyed at night. Then again, on a few of them, it was so thick, it might as well been nighttime. ;)

Hmmmmm..... Class 5 whacks. Sure, all the ones that I've done with Bushwhacker, who more than lives up to his name :cool:

dms
10-05-2004, 05:32 PM
John, Mullen from the summit of Fort definitely qualifies! You had the good sense to do it from the old Mullen Brook tote road.

Frodo
10-05-2004, 06:58 PM
Gruesome list!

The West side of the Captain is pretty nasty, but I also think that the Anderson/Lowell area should get an honorable mention ;)

RoySwkr
10-05-2004, 07:23 PM
Quite a list JS. Barren & Mullen are no picnic from anywhere, and S Abraham is worse than Middle.

It would be fun to organize a night group bushwhack. Something with an awesome view at dawn.
I've been on an organized night bushwhack, but it was no worse than Category 2, and because it was moonlit with scattered snow, I didn't use a light.

But we didn't stay out till dawn, just looked at the view till we froze and went back. DC may remember it.

Pete_Hickey
10-05-2004, 08:25 PM
How about a night bushwhack

After severely scratched cornea in BOTH eyes which left me without vision for quite a few days, and unable to drive for about 3 weeks, I'd never do a night bushwhack through thick stuff. Heck it was daytime when the branches got my eyes. First one I didn't see because of fogged glasses, and the second one was probably due to no depth perception as a result of only one good eye.

Pig Pen
10-06-2004, 11:47 AM
The true summit of Fulling Mill Mountain from the AT. .25 miles of hell.

raftingguy
10-06-2004, 12:57 PM
Let's see, Class 5 bushwacks, how about:

The mall the day after Thanksgiving?? :D :D :D :D

Neil
10-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by mavs00

Are you people INSANE :D .

I can't think of many bushwhacks that I'd have enjoyed at night.

Having just been there, I would do the Wright slide approach and the slide itself as a nocturnal effort. I'd wait for a full or at least 1/2 moon and a clear night.

2 gotta haves: bright head lamps and ski goggles.

Whose coming?

spencer
10-06-2004, 07:09 PM
East Turner from South Turner :D

spencer

Dr. Dasypodidae
10-06-2004, 07:53 PM
The Wolf Cub off Kinsman Ridge (NH) east of Mt. Wolf is deceptively nasty, but fortunately not an terribly long whack.

audrey
10-07-2004, 04:37 AM
Middle Abraham from somewhere along Norton Brook, probably the longest ordeal we've had. The spruces were so tangled that we had to crawl along the rabbit runs.

West Huntington from the west, where the blowdowns reign.

Below the lower summit of Cow Ridge, if you try to beeline back to the logging road. The spruces are so close together and big enough that they're hard to bend out of the way.

I agree with the Millen Hill-Dartmouth col!

Tramper Al
10-07-2004, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by spencer
East Turner from South Turner :D
Hey Spencer, I almost said that one too. But I am going to go with:

South Turner from East Turner!

Dennis C.
10-07-2004, 10:50 AM
The Flat Mountain summit ridge used to be a class 5 bushwhack when we first did it back in the mid 1980s. We approached from the Fletcher Cascades then. I remember finding a RoySwkr register bottle in all that thick green spruce. I returned in 2000 with Sue Eilers, this time from the Flat Mtn Ponds area. I couldn't believe the change! The summit ridge forest was fairly open matured snappers, much easier to pass through than earlier times. REF: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=19&n=4866875&e=302381&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

John H Swanson
10-07-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by audrey
[
I agree with the Millen Hill-Dartmouth col! [/B]

There's an altimeter watch in there somewhere.
Ripped from my arm without even knowing it.
I thought about looking for it but I couldn't see the ground several feet below my boots.

Mark Schaefer
10-07-2004, 03:37 PM
yeah, and post'r, i sees you'r 84!!:eek: :eek: hap' b'day gramps:D :D :D :D :D

O no, now he's a centenarian, cut that funnin'

woodstrider
10-07-2004, 04:50 PM
didn't marriage settle you down -you bushwhacking maniac?:D

Ned Kipperson
10-08-2004, 12:27 AM
I don't know where this thread has gone...

Stewart from Wilmingon state campground
Any Delaware County NY 3000' (thick briars)
Sawtooth Number "4" (ADK trail guide list) from Ampersand Lake boundary
Lost Pond Peak
Rocky Mtn(Ulster county Catskills)
Yrazor trying to pass off any information on a message board

Ned Kipperson
10-08-2004, 12:32 AM
One more...
The north peak of Slide Mountain in the Sentinel Range. Spruce and fir growing inches from each other. This is the peak south of the old trail that comes out form Holcomb pond off River Road, T/ North Elba

peak_bgr
10-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Kilburn summit from the top of the slide.
Marcy via Point Balk and Little Marcy.
Adams via Popple Hil.l
TR via the NW ridge.

just to name a few

HikerBob
10-09-2004, 11:29 PM
I thought the big question was....

"What is the drink with champagne and orange juice?"

My answer would have been 'Buck's Fizz', an altogether more amusing name I think than Mamosa.

:)

Bob

AntlerPeak
10-10-2004, 12:05 PM
John

I also did Kilburn truly nasty and not recommended. It is on the 100 highest list of the ADK.

To add to your list here are some more 100 highest uglies

Blue Ridge Mt

I will also not suggest anyone in their right mind bushwhack up Blue Ridge Mt in Schroon Lake, near Hoffman. That was nastier than Kilburn. Cripplebrush so thick one has to "ball up" and push through. The view is even worse it was limited to seeing only those with you.

Wolf Pond Mt

Another less punishing but equally aweful is Wolf Pond Mt from the summit of Boreas.

Stewart Mt

It is near Kilburn but far better with an open forest along a northern approach. There are open ledges with some views.

I will suggest an easy one, Cellar Mt found in the Moose River Planes area. The approach is via the Cellar Pond Trail and following a ridge from a height of land. It has a rather interesting forest some views and a rather easy ascent.

As for the rest on your list I'll take your word for it and stay away.

Peakbagr
10-10-2004, 10:11 PM
What a difference a route makes...peak_bgr, Bushwacker and another friend and I did Wolf Pond this Spring. We came in from the SSW. It was really nice open woods until about .15 miles from the top. It then got a little cliffy and thick, but not of epic proportions.

PB

peak_bgr
10-11-2004, 08:45 PM
AntlerPeak--are you working on the ADK 100 highest? or have you finished? There is a group of us pecking away at them. Brian (bushwacker) and I have 80 of them. Are you interested in joining our twisted little group of self abusers? PM me and let me know.

AntlerPeak
10-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Spence

I decided against that after wrestling with a few that a friend dragged me up. The last one was Blue Ridge in Schroon Lake very ugly. I think my friend has one left in the Sawteeth range. I understand there are a few that present problems over private property etc. At least my friend had some difficulty getting permissions with a few.

Tom ( AntlerPeak)

Peakbagr
03-04-2007, 10:15 AM
I especially like Neil's idea of a night bushwhack.