PDA

View Full Version : How did you celebrate your 48th?

p2piper
07-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Hello, all -

Nancy and I will be climbing our 48th 4,000 footer in NH pretty soon and we've been brainstorming ideas on how to celebrate. That led us to wondering how other people celebrated their 48th NH 4,000 footer. We'll be doing Jefferson via the Caps Ridge Trail. We thought about dinner at the Mt Washington Hotel and ruled that out. So we're still thinking.

How did you celebrate (or how do you plan to celebrate) reaching your 48th 4,000 foot summit in New Hampshire?

Pat

kmac
07-16-2007, 06:29 PM
My 48th was spent on top of Moriah. The day couldn't have been more perfect! Good friends, sunshine,singing and lots of laughter!!

Hope your day is a great one!! :) I look forward to reading your TR.
kmac

NewHampshire
07-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Jen and I finished on Moosilauke with a group of friends. Got down and enjoyed some homemade oatmeal/raisin/choclate chip cookies and then banged over to the Woodstock Inn for some awesome food!

Brian

Willoughby
07-16-2007, 06:37 PM
I plan to celebrate by buying the Maine Mountain Guide and reading up on the next round... although maybe you had something more immediate in mind! :D

Willoughby

21 of 48
25 of 67
but who's counting?

WSC
07-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Hello, all -
How did you celebrate (or how do you plan to celebrate) reaching your 48th 4,000 foot summit in New Hampshire?

Pat

You mean people finish! I have been doing this for 1/3 of my life, and still have 2 left!
but seriously, I plan to finish by inviting some of my closest hiking friends, and ones that I havn't been able to hike with in some time. Maybe afterwards we would do a BBQ or a least get some ice cream at Bishops! Oh I think one of my friends might bring some gas station champagne.
WSC

audrey
07-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Depends how many people you want to invite!

Pat and I finished our 48th alone on Wildcat E (not D, a century ago). We each drank a glass of wine and wondered why the trail down had gotten so steep and scary. :eek:

We finished our 115th in 2005 on Marshall in the ADK's in the company of about 20 lovely VFTTer's and then retired to Spence's BBQ/Gathering for more celebrating. That was much more fun. :D

MichaelJ
07-16-2007, 07:47 PM
My 48th was a wonderful hike up Moosilauke with a fine group of 23 (?) good friends, followed by taking over the entire lower room at the Woodstock Station for a combined celebration with another group of friends who that day finished their 67 and 115 simultaneously on Carrigain.

By contrast, my 67th was in the rain up on Mansfield with just a few good friends, followed by a mellow evening around the campfire with other hung-over friends.

No matter how you celebrate it, from solo to surrounded, you'll feel rewarded.

Paradox
07-16-2007, 08:00 PM
I celebrated with a spring water and two snoring dogs in the backseat. :) The write up for this website was definately part of the fun. :)

timmus
07-16-2007, 08:01 PM
I am planning on finishing my NH48 soon, so I was also thinking about what would be a great way to celebrate...

I finished my ADK46 last summer on Big Slide, summited at sunrise and drinking mimosa's, maybe this time I will finish under a full moon, drinking tequila ?

bobandgeri
07-16-2007, 08:09 PM
We finished the all season NH48 alone on Bondcliff (mid-week) and celebrated with a toast of champagne - dinner out in Lincoln afterwards.

We finished the Winter NH48 surronded by a group of special friends also on Bondcliff, followed by a great meal of Chinese food in Lincoln with several of the group who had joined us.

We finished the NEHH on Baxter Peak with two friends who had joined us (one of them finished the day before on Fort peak) and I believe celebrated by making a nice grilled salmon dinner back at the cabin.

We've joined others who when they have finished their lists which have been quite affairs with brownies or a bottle of beer and one or two others, to ones filled with ice cream on the summit, helium balloons, pray flags, champagne, beer etc... in both perfect weather and blizzards.

Finishing on Jefferson - great peak, nice views - have a great time! (and be sure to let everyone know!)

Steve-o
07-16-2007, 08:32 PM
The 48, solo on Zealand.
A pint of some German smoked beer hit the spot. :)

I finished my ADK46 last summer on Big Slide, summited at sunrise and drinking mimosa's, maybe this time I will finish under a full moon, drinking tequila ?
That's funny I started my ADK adventure under a full-moon on Dix.
Finished 6 years to the day later on Sawteeth.
My friend and I, both celebrating B-days, chose vodka and a nip of captain for this B-pack. :)
67/115
North Brother, with four good friends & a little sierra nevada. :)
NEHH ? who knows, but it's getting better all the time.
Steve-o

dms
07-16-2007, 08:36 PM
I spent my 48th "celebration" in the Waterville Valley ski area first aid room getting my head bandaged up. True story. It was a late November, very windy with some snow showers, when my son, and his best friend, and I were on the Mt. Tecumseh Trail doing my 48th. As we were hiking along, I heard a very loud cracking noise to my left, I remember thinking that the sound was way too close for comfort. Next thing I remember is being knocked on my arse with a spout of blood flowing down my shirt, my son's friend was screaming, "a tree fell on Dan!" I managed to get up on my feet and lifted the tree from my son, fortunately most of the weight of the fallen tree was supported by another tree on the other side of the trail. At this point both of the boys were staring at me wide eyed, with total panic setting in. I then realized how much I was bleeding, facial cuts are profuse! Luckily, two good samaritans came along, took my pack and walked me, and the boys, over to the first aid station at the ski area. The first aid guy could not believe I had hurt myself while hiking, surely I must have been skiing on some black diamond trail. To top it all off, Gene Daniell later told the story when I got my patch at the AMC 4k ceremony.

Mad Townie
07-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Moosilauke is a popular one, I guess. For me it was the farthest from home. Eleven of us went up the beautiful Glencliff trail then took on the 60 mph March winds up the summit cone. It was one of those weekends when plans got changed due to weather--we climbed on Sunday when it was much nicer out. :eek: The celebration had to wait until we got back in the trees, where we broke out a couple cold beers and Rocks'n'Rolls presented the patch to me. That was VERY cool!!!

After that a few of us had beers and a little food at the Woodstock Station, then I returned to MtnPa's and MtnMama's where I had stayed for the weekend. Played some tunes with Gris, Sherp and MikeH at some point, but I think that was a kind of "pre" celebration the night before. :o Nothing like anticipating success!

Now 67's gonna be another story. :D

Kevin Rooney
07-16-2007, 08:44 PM
How I celebrated each list (alone or with friends) seemed to mirror the way I did the list. For example, the NH 48's were mostly solo, so my final (Carrigan) was a solo hike. But, the next list (NE 67's on Saddleback) was a group affair as I'd done most of those with friends, and the same is true of the NE100's - Boundary - was done with friends. OTH - the 115's was a solo on Esther as most of the ADK's/Catskills were solo.

Whatever works for you is best - if you want company, all you need to do is post the hike here and you'll have it.

However you do it, savor and enjoy the day, and it will most likely be bittersweet. Accomplishing most goals are.

Seeker
07-16-2007, 08:56 PM
My 48th was celebrated on Carrigain in unexpected snow with a bit of bubbly and two other friends who were celebrating their 48th, another who was on his 4th (?) go round, and The Dave, who was on his second go round.

My 67th was celebrated on Old Speck just with Metsky who unbeknownst to me brough a split of bubbly in his pack. We drank and took in the views on the fire tower before heading off to join Audrey and Pat for a truely lovely weekend in Maine.

Looking forward to my second round--just 9 to go! Might think about the 100th list....

Fun times!

David Metsky
07-16-2007, 09:16 PM
My 48th was Isolation, alone and in the rain, after staying up all night at Mizpah to help with an S&R then up early to cook and serve b-fast because the croo was dead tired. By the time I got back to Mizpah I was too exhausted to do much of anything.

My 67th was on Abraham in Maine with some great friends, some lovely bubbly, and an absolute perfect day. The previous day I'd done 65 and 66 solo so it had a nice bookend feel to it.

DougPaul
07-16-2007, 09:28 PM
My 48th was also Isolation, solo.

I took a few pictures, hiked back to my car at Ammo Ravine TH reaching it after dark, and drove home.

Doug

sapblatt
07-16-2007, 09:33 PM
I finished in a monsoon on Jackson - which was fitting, because so many of my 48 were in the rain. I had a good number of friends there, and met a few new ones...there was also a bottle of Glenlivet passed around (courtesy of LittleBear!) We later made it to the defunct/burned down Mooseland Grill for a nice meal and some beverages, and then over to mtnmama and mtnpa's in Bethlehem where the party continued, as did the rain!

HuiYeng
07-16-2007, 10:07 PM
I finished my on Mt Carrigain, alone... with mild hang over (long story...) I celebrated it by hiking my first ADK 46ers the next week.

WSC, no gas station champagne for you, I'll be prepared this time :o.

marchowes
07-16-2007, 10:17 PM
I finished mine solo on Isolation as well -- took some pics, drank some sarsaparilla from Zebs Store in N Conway and then hiked back to my car.

After that I had a dinner with my boss (of all people!) over at Delaney's in North Conway. Hell he even paid :)

Mike P.
07-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Moriah (this was NE 65) on my Birthday with my Mom (who hikes some in her 60's, she was 56 then) & my wife. We brought a bottle of Champagne. (When I did Haystack in 1995, a 46'er who finished ther brought Champagne & shared with my friend & I)

When I finished 48 X 2 in NH, picked Cannon & my non-hiking Dad & his wife + my two kids & my wife (who was not back to hiking strength after a bad illness) took the tram up & met me at the top.

Roxi
07-17-2007, 05:29 AM
However you do it, savor and enjoy the day, and it will most likely be bittersweet. Accomplishing most goals are.

Well said, Kevin. I suspect reaching my "48th" soon will feel somewhat anticlimatic.

Pat and Nancy, you've asked the very question I've been wondering lately, and I guess Timmus has too. You picked an excellent moutain. Jefferson is magnificent; I hope to get a hike up there sometime this afternoon. So far I plan to finish on the Wildcats with one or more friends, and possibly celebrate at Moat Mountain Brewery afterwards (plan subject to change).

From Jefferson, however, you've got a variety of options: celebrating on the summit, Fabyan's restaurant on 302 near the Base Road, Mt. Washington (although you said you decided against that), Highland Center in Crawford Notch, Bretton Woods, and/or several restaurants in Bethlehem to the west or Lincoln to the south. Whatever you choose to do, I hope you two have a wonderful time! It has been a real pleasure reading your trip reports and enjoying your journey along with you. :)

pilgrim
07-17-2007, 06:04 AM
I did most of the 48 solo, but the family accompanied me to Carrigain for the last on a perfect September day. We toasted the end of the quest with champagne that we hauled to the summit.

dug
07-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Top of Isolation with my mom, who also completed it. 25 years in the making. Beautiful September day. Not much for celebrations, we had our lunch and walked out. I did have a (few) nice cold beers in the parking lot waiting for me.

Coincidently, my friend completed his NH48 on Saturday on Carter Dome. Since we were camping, we didn't have anything with us. So, we just took some pics and a good handshake.

marty
07-17-2007, 07:27 AM
I always saved the celebration until after I got down the mountain, as I have been been known to take a tumble or two!

Celebrated my 48 after doing Carrigain with Ray on a warm February day in deep, soft snow. We went for a hungry man dinner in Bartlett, NH and then headed home to be surprised by my wife and two friends, who had a beer and shot of tequila waiting for me.

Celebrated my 67 after doing Mansfield in August. We had a group of 11, most who were work friends, as well as my dear wife. Also ran into VFTT member Roadtripper and his entourage on the summit! After the hike, we had champagne & sodas, cheese/crackers and grapes in the parking lot, followed by a dinner at a microbrew pub. Interestingly, I did take a nasty fall while walking on a dirt road to the parking lot, after descending Mansfield. Guess I jinxed myself :rolleyes: :confused:

I also had the privilege to be part of Mad Townie's 48th hike and post-hike celebration :cool:

Marty

Chip
07-17-2007, 07:50 AM
I'm a very casual list hiker, mostly just trying to do things I haven't done before or in a while.
BUT: It just struck me that, with some planning, I could complete the 48 on my 48th B-Day.
I need to look at my maps.

griffin
07-17-2007, 09:07 AM
I'm still working on my 48, but accompanied a friend to her finish on Isolation. There were four of us - we toasted her with champagne (wish it could have been a surprise, but she found out about our stash on a previous, abandoned attempt of Isolation), shared a little with the summit cairn, and hiked out to a great, tasty dinner.

My last will likely be Adams - I'm thinking of hiking into Madison Hut and climbing up to watch the sunrise.

Rik
07-17-2007, 12:52 PM
I finished the 48 on Bondcliff with my wife on day 4 of a backpacking trip in which it rained all but the last day, day 4! We celebrated with a long walk out to the car and a 4 hour drive back to NY. For 67/115 I climbed West Bigelow with a NY couple that was on their way to Katahdin for #115. We had just met them on the trail. Celebrated that one with 5.5 hour drive back to NY and a climb of Allen the next day. :eek:

Puma concolor
07-17-2007, 01:24 PM
For me, #48 (Owl's Head) was also #115 - well #113 at the time since Spaulding and Reddington weren't on the list yet. All were solo and I celebrated by starting work on the Catskill 3500. :D

Bob
07-17-2007, 02:27 PM
with a bunch of Budweisers at the Imp shelter...

giggy
07-17-2007, 02:56 PM
still picking away at this list becuase I just ain't motivated to hike some of the ones I have left - got about 10 left and they will be done as backup hikes when weather interferes with better hikes/climbs anyway - when it happens - it will involve massive amounts of beer, food, fire, freinds and much more utter nonsense.

maybe i need to just take a few days and do it - I need an excuse for a party....

albee
07-17-2007, 04:17 PM
I need an excuse for a party....

Hey, the 20th of July is a Friday... how's that for an excuse to party?

Seriously, though... finishing a list is like getting married. Everyone celebrates with you on the big day, but then a few days later after the honeymoon is over, you realize your life really isn't that much different and you still look at other mountains! :eek: At least you can "renew your vows" every time you complete the list again! ;)

HikerAmiga
07-17-2007, 05:55 PM
...Seriously, though... finishing a list is like getting married. Everyone celebrates with you on the big day, but then a few days later after the honeymoon is over, you realize your life really isn't that much different and you still look at other mountains! :eek: At least you can "renew your vows" every time you complete the list again! ;)

Gee Albee, what an interesting analogy (..."like getting married...big day").

To be honest, I thought their original idea about dinner at the Mt Washington Hotel is a dreamy one and worth the investment! However, what I've been able to decipher from most folks on this thread is that what appears to matter the most is not how you celebrate nor where, but the fact that you're sharing your big moment with people that are special to you--friends and/or family (and significant others even)! I too can't imagine a more fulfilling setting than this!!

I am still slowly pecking away on my list and also had the idea that I'd try to time it with my 48th birthday as well (another couple of years) but being the hopeless romantic that I am, this thread gives me even more dreamy ideas! :D

Good luck on your 48th and surely it'll be a super one!

giggy
07-17-2007, 06:06 PM
I am still slowly pecking away on my list

I started in 1995. :eek: mt flume - and have done it at least 10times since.

thats pretty slow

trailbiscuit
07-17-2007, 08:45 PM
On a clear October day on Madison, D and I celebrated with a high five and a snack...pretty much what we did on all 48. :D

bcskier
07-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Champagne from a sierra cup on Owl's Head.

bryan
07-18-2007, 07:47 PM
nh 4K december of 05 solo on isolation wishing the person i'd started hiking them with was there too.

bryan

Ed'n Lauky
07-18-2007, 08:55 PM
No big celebrations for us. Duffy and I finished the NH48 solo on Isolation. Shared a sandwich and walked back to the car.

I finished the NE4000 on Hamlin with two friends. Duffy of course was not allowed in the park. It was one of my very rare hikes without him. It was Oct. and very cold with some snow. We paused only to take a picture then continued over to Baxter where one of my friends finished up. Took the traditional picture at the 'End of the AT' sign, went back to the car and drove back to Bridgton.

Duffy and I finished the NE100 highest solo on Pico in Vt. after a BW on Mendon. I thought we would be all alone but ran into Unadogger and Drewski. Unadogger took a picture of Duffy and me shaking hands. It was a picture that was placed on a number of Airedale websites. We then walked back to the car and drove back to Bridgton. On the way back I stopped at a dinner in VT near the NH border. Had the best Rubin sandwich I've ever eaten.

As I said, no big celebrations, but just being with Duffy on those hikes is joy enough. :)

Seeker
07-18-2007, 09:31 PM
My 48th was a wonderful hike up Moosilauke with a fine group of 23 (?) good friends, followed by taking over the entire lower room at the Woodstock Station for a combined celebration with another group of friends who that day finished their 67 and 115 simultaneously on Carrigain.

By contrast, my 67th was in the rain up on Mansfield with just a few good friends, followed by a mellow evening around the campfire with other hung-over friends.

No matter how you celebrate it, from solo to surrounded, you'll feel rewarded.

Gotta say, your 48th was a fine, fun day! It was the first time I met a lot of VFTTers. I felt honored to be part of such a great gathering. :D

Raymond
07-19-2007, 02:54 AM
Five years ago today, on the 19th anniversary of my first Adirondack climb, I finished my 46 on Whiteface, climbing with my honey, Susan, and Harry K. We were met at the castle by my son and my parents, who had gone up in the car. They had some pound cake for us, plus a package of pudding and a beer which Susan had bought for Harry. Harry didn’t join us for supper, but the rest of us ate at Cameron’s Restaurant in Lake Placid, where Glen and Sue and their waitresses surprised us with a parade of sorts — with Glen blowing a trumpet and the waitresses waving pompoms — and a sheet cake with ‘‘Newest Adirondack 46er’’ (or something like that) on it.

Seventy-eight days later, one day after my 46th birthday and two days before the 25th anniversary of my first-ever mountain climb (Mount Washington), Susan and I climbed the Bonds, which led to my completion of the White Mountain 4000-Footer list atop West Bond. I took off my shirt and exulted, that was about it. We’d spent the night before the hike at the Loon Mountain lodge, which was way overpriced, but seemed to have the only vacancy in the vicinity. Susan treated me, because it was my birthday, but I don’t think I ever fell asleep. Still managed to hike 23 miles and drive all the way back home, though.

About two years later, Susan completed her 46 on Rocky Peak Ridge (http://homepage.mac.com/ramerkh/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2005-08-09%2020.58.39%20-0700/Image-6812386A094E11DA.jpg). I presented her with a 46er patch on top, and we had a quiet dinner together at Cameron’s later.

Four days after that, I completed the Northeast 111ers list as we climbed Camels Hump (http://homepage.mac.com/ramerkh/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2005-08-09%2020.58.39%20-0700/Image-68132368094E11DA.jpg) with the ubiquitous Harry K. Harry had finished the same list five days earlier. Susan and I shared about half a beer which Harry had brought up for us.

Last year, on my 50th birthday, Susan joined me for her first and only hike of the year as I completed the New England Hundred Highest on Stratton Mountain. We had supper at Famous Bill’s in Greenfield, Mass., if memory serves.

With any luck, Susan will complete her White Mountain, New England, and Northeast 4Ks this year — 17 to go. No plans of attack or for how or where to finish, yet.

mtnpa
07-19-2007, 07:09 AM
with a bunch of Budweisers at the Imp shelter...

Six of your closest friends :D . Other than you, I bet none of them made it out alive ;)

Anyone who thinks they're slow; I summited Mt Washington in 1967.
I haven't finished yet :eek:

giggy
07-19-2007, 07:15 AM
Six of your closest friends :D . Other than you, I bet none of them made it out alive ;)

Anyone who thinks they're slow; I summited Mt Washington in 1967.
I haven't finished yet :eek:

hahaha - I think its all about what your into - and the time you have to do it. personally, I am more into redlining something like the great gulf and hiking those peaks multiple times - thick bushwacking isn't for me :eek: . If we had peaks like out west, I think I would be more into the list - but we only have a few that get above treeline, so it is what it is... all what your into -

Mtnpa - if you really wanted, you could bang that list out in miminal time, but you choose more fun things ;)

sweeper
07-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Actually I finished the both NH & NE 4ks list on Galehead.

As with most of my summits I was solo, I didn't make much of a big deal, I spent a long tie sitting on the summit reflecting.

When I got home I immediately called my mother, stuck down in FLA and told her. She was the the one that got me into hiking.

Paradox
07-19-2007, 06:38 PM
It just struck me that, with some planning, I could complete the 48 on my 48th B-Day. I need to look at my maps. Let me know when its coming up, I will give you some company!

dottie
07-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Isolation was my 48th. Hiked it w/ my husband, my all-time favorite hiking partner. At the summit, we tried to make a video w/ my camera w/ me using sign language to describe what I was feeling (we both teach at a deaf school). Alas, my camera's batteries died. . .so I had to write the *$)#(@& essay later when I got home!

I remember we went to some pizza place in Gorham and ate a lot of food.

What is it about Mt. Isolation??? End of August I will hike it once again, w/ a friend for his 48th. And I am wickedly excited.

dottie

Blue
07-22-2007, 08:19 PM
I finished on Owl's Head with Charlie, good friends and a small bottle of champagne (I saved the cork).

I will always remember that day for finishing, but also for crossing rivers after dark and being terrified! It was a thrill and an adventure.