PDA

View Full Version : Should I go for a hike this weekend?

albee
09-26-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm planning to be in the North Conway/Fryeburg area on Saturday and Sunday for a friend's wedding. I might have time to bag a peak or two, but I would only have about 5 hours of daylight on Saturday afternoon to do it.

I generally hike 2.5 miles per hour, but I could go faster if the trail is flat enough to run some sections of it. I'm also a hopeless peakbagger and I'd like to add Parker, Resolution, West Royce, Paugus, or Bear Peak (bushwhack off Bear Notch Rd.) to my list. I don't mind repeating peaks as long as they can be combined with one that I "need".

Does anyone have any suggestions? First of all, should I even be hiking this weekend? Second of all, if I should, where should I go? Your answer will be graded on creativity of route selection and quality of views. Extra credit will be given for adding a weather contingency back-up plan. Ready? Discuss... :D

Pamola
09-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Do it.

The Royces don't take too long. Good views as well.

Motabobo
09-26-2007, 11:25 AM
I think you should stay home :p

Breeze
09-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Remember, Fryeburg Fair begins Sunday, TRAFFIC!!!!! :eek:

Breeze

evilhanz
09-26-2007, 12:13 PM
You could climb Parker quickly and easily from the Bartlett side even in bad weather or fading daylight. The grades are moderate with a few blowdowns and close growth. There are no views until you top out on Parker where you'll see fine closeups of Crawford, Crawford Dome, Resolution, and Iron Mountain. Oak Ridge is a pleasant area that's worth a look.

Amicus
09-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Do it.

The Royces don't take too long. Good views as well.

They would get my vote, although you only mention West R. If you haven't been up to E. Royce (which is also a listed 3K, as I recall), the best views of either mountain are to be had from the north-facing summit ledges at the end of the herdpath that leaves from the terminus of the E. Royce Trail proper. (That herdpath first goes over the true summit of E. Royce - it is actually blazed, so is really a "semi-official trail" more than a "herdpath".)

Fryeburg Fair traffic can be a bear, but although I don't have my ME or NH Delormes at hand, I believe you'll find a backroad heading north off 302 in Conway that will take you to 113 north of the Fairgrounds (but maybe not so far north that it will avoid all traffic).

In the alternative, go to the Fair, which is a fine one. Great livestock!

skiguy
09-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Remember, Fryeburg Fair begins Sunday, TRAFFIC!!!!! :eek:

Breeze

Forget the hiking...Go to the Fair.The pizza and the sausage subs and not to mention the good ole' ode de twa of cow dung are to die for. :rolleyes:

skiguy
09-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Forget the hiking...Go to the Fair.The pizza and the sausage subs and not to mention the good ole' ode de twa of cow dung are to die for. :rolleyes:

Actually on secound thought...maybe that is not such a great idea you are into McNuggets.

Pamola
09-26-2007, 01:08 PM
That actually is al in the commercial.

You should hear him freestyle while stuck 'whackin in a spruce jungle gym. skillz

--M.
09-26-2007, 01:42 PM
First of all, should I even be hiking this weekend? ... Extra credit will be given for adding a weather contingency back-up plan. Ready? Discuss... :D

You absolutely should not be hiking. Go to the mall, or the outlet stores. There's a Walmart there, too. You should have enough time to drive the strip two times and still get pizza at the food court.

If it's raining, buy a really expensive Gore-Tex shell at an outlet store and then lose it at Story Land.

What do you mean, "should I be hiking?" What advice did they offer on the shopping bulletin board?

Almost forgot: ;)

sapblatt
09-26-2007, 01:58 PM
You should hike all day and blow off the wedding ;) ...tell them you were out with me on some idiotic hike to Thoreau Falls - and in order to be safe you had to turn around and make it a 23 mile day in the rain - you really wanted to make it to the wedding, but safety first! :D

albee
09-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Early grades are in and I'm disappointed so far... Amicus and evilhanz are the frontrunners, with --M.'s creative answer a close third. Come now people - you can do better than that!

To clarify some quick points (partially to the tune of a certain fast-food commercial):

I'm well aware of the Fryeburg fair - I'm not a fair-bagger so I won't go there.
Gore-Tex shells are not my thing, hiking in the rain is aggrava-ting.
I need West Royce but I could hit up East, too - I've been to that peak and found da true summit, too.
Peakbaggingpeakbaggingwhat? Peakbaggingpeakbaggingwhat?
Bushwhacks and trail-mix, bushwhacks and trail-mix....

;) :D

skiguy
09-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Here's an idea...you could blow off hiking and the wedding and just stay HOME (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5H7IYPw40Q&mode=related&search) !

Mike P.
09-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Another vote for West Royce, definitely get in a hike & then don't go on the 19th & 20th when I'm in NH. :D

Not original but I'm looking at enhancing MY wilderness trip by keeping numbers down....

--M.
09-26-2007, 02:35 PM
You still haven't explained why you would ask a hiking board what you should be doing with your free time.

You should take the Cog up Mount Washington and moon hikers and/or cops.

You should do a low-level fly-over in an A-10 and drop dookies in the Carrigain well.

You should go kayaking in the Dry River.

You should buy bricks from the mill in Berlin and make your own little smokestack right there.

You should see how far into Canada you can make it and still be back before deadline.

You should spend the entire five hours in Carroll Reed looking at sweaters and Hummels. Is that place still there?

I don't know... how about Arethusa Falls or Webster Cliff?

Fish a little in the Swift or Saco (or Ellis, or Wildcat Brook, or...).

How's that? Now please explain....

SteveHiker
09-26-2007, 02:36 PM
is there an open bar at the wedding?

skiguy
09-26-2007, 02:45 PM
You should do a low-level fly-over in an A-10 and drop dookies in the Carrigain well.

Is this what you mean by DOOKIE (http://accel19.mettre-put-idata.over-blog.com/0/00/94/22/covers/green-day-dookie-cover.jpg)?

Amicus
09-26-2007, 03:13 PM
is there an open bar at the wedding?

Obviously not.

You've done E. Royce, so that's a lot of driving just for W. Royce with its lesser views (unless it's a nice day and you had inferior viewing on East R. before).

Parker would be about 8 miles just for an out-and-back, but if I'd gone that far I would want to add Resolution (as I did, a long time ago). That must be at least 12 miles - you can do the math - seems too long.

Paugus is a long hike just to get to the 'whack (but that is pretty easy) - also too far, I'd say.

Bear Mt. is a short drive but looks like a long 'whack - well over a mile. Unless there is a herd path or it's open woods, you may be pressed for time. You'd make an impression at the reception, on the other hand.

vegematic
09-26-2007, 03:30 PM
If you head up West Royce (or both Royces) I'll recommend the Burnt Mill Brook Trail off the road to the Wild River Campground. I find it a lot more scenic than the trail up from the height of land on Rt 113.
-vegematic

Motabobo
09-26-2007, 03:52 PM
I can't believe this thread has reached 2 pages for such a question...oh well here I'm adding some more length to it :D

timmus
09-26-2007, 04:06 PM
I can't believe this thread has reached 2 pages for such a question...oh well here I'm adding some more length to it :D

Everybody likes fluff, especially when bored at work.

...or sick at home ;)

albee
09-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Everybody likes fluff, especially when bored at work.

...or sick at home ;)

How DARE you accuse me of fluff posting! ;)

This is a serious ethical dilemma - do I selfishly squeeze in bagging some peaks on the weekend of my friend's wedding, or do I skip the hike to make sure I get there on time? I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but the groom is a member of these forums (KLTilton) and I'm in the wedding party...

A couple other members of this forum are getting married on Saturday, too - Adamiata and HockeyCrew... please send along some well-wishes to them if you can. (I'm sure they're not wasting time thinking about where to hike this weekend.)

Keep those suggestions coming - I need inspiration. Can anyone think of a good foliage hike for Saturday afternoon? Looks like the weather is gonna be perfect! And no hiking for me on Sunday - I've got bridesmaids to entertain at the reception! ;)

ColdRiverRun
09-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Well, it looks to be about 100 miles between your house and the wedding so why don't you just leave Friday night and trial run it wuss. Should I hike? Slap yourself! If you don't and I find out by Saturday I'm going to do Little Santanoni without you Sunday or do East TableTop again just for the sh!ts and write a page long trip report about it. But I'll be whacking in NY where the real whackos hang out, wait...that doesn't sound ri...oh, yes it does.

But, you should go to the wedding and meet a chick, maybe one that looks like the chicks in Timmus's JulIlstrations of chicks on Whiteface. Then break up with her of course for reasons related to her hiking to slow. :cool:

For the crowd me and Albee had a side bet on who could do more combined output. The categories where number of peaks, time spent exercising, and total miles during a six week period. On labor day weekend I did a 6hr Saturday. 13.5 hr day Sunday of whacking and followed it with a 9.5hr whack on Monday. Albee took off Friday too and did 16 peaks in the bushwhack form to beat me. So you tell me if you think he is going to hike this weekend. :mad:

Paradox
09-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Perhaps you should be at the reception bar asking the bartender to turn the channel on the TV to the Yankees game? :eek:

--M.
09-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Is this what you mean by DOOKIE (http://accel19.mettre-put-idata.over-blog.com/0/00/94/22/covers/green-day-dookie-cover.jpg)?

No, it was a South Park reference (indirectly), but that Green Day cover is right on, isn't it?

http://www.southparkstudios.com/show/redirect.php?section=13&href=/downloads/display_image.php&download_season=1&type=i&id=6837

But to be serious: Glen Boulder, and just continue on up as far as the schedule will allow.

dvbl
09-26-2007, 05:09 PM
...I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but the groom is a member of these forums (KLTilton) and I'm in the wedding party...

As a member of the wedding party, your obligation is to be there on time, even a little early to put out any last minute "fires". If you didn't know the bride/groom well, then it's a judgement call. Since you know them and are in the wedding party, it's a no-brainer. You can live without hiking for a saturday. That's not the time to be selfish. Step up, be an adult, and do the right thing.

you asked...

sapblatt
09-26-2007, 05:46 PM
As a member of the wedding party, your obligation is to be there on time, even a little early to put out any last minute "fires". If you didn't know the bride/groom well, then it's a judgement call. Since you know them and are in the wedding party, it's a no-brainer. You can live without hiking for a saturday. That's not the time to be selfish. Step up, be an adult, and do the right thing.

you asked...

...agreed - being in the wedding party changes everything...

albee
09-26-2007, 08:12 PM
I was thinking about hiking on the Saturday afternoon before the Sunday morning wedding... the only reasons why I would be late the next day are because I got hopelessly lost while bushwhacking (hasn't happened to me so far...) or if I tire myself out too much and sleep through my alarm. To be honest, I'm kinda leaning towards not bushwhacking - I don't want to risk getting a big cut on my face the day before wedding photos are going to be taken.

I'll have plenty of time to make it to the wedding Sunday morning. Besides, the groom never has the fire - isn't it the bride that is more likely to have the meltdown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nFDnC8SSWQ)? I can still hike, right?? We've had the bachelor party, I've got my tux (it's in the car somewhere - might be under my sleeping bag...) and everything. We should be all set. So... where should I hike?

rocket21
09-26-2007, 10:01 PM
I forget the exact road names, but you can take Hurricane Mountain Road (north of town, goes by the Kearsarge North trailhead) to Maine, and connect to 113 that way, bypassing 302 south of North Conway altogether.

I've only hiked in Evans Notch once so far (East Royce), but I think that might be a good place to go - its much quieter than 302/Kanc/Pinkham/etc. on a weekend.

rocket21
09-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Hurricane Mountain Road -> S. Main Street -> S. Chatham Road (Robbins Hill Road if traffic) -> 113

MichaelJ
09-27-2007, 05:31 AM
No rehearsal dinner on Saturday to attend?

Kearsarge North isn't a 'whack but has gorgeous views up top, especially for a late afternoon sunset, and it's on the 52 with a View list I believe.

skiguy
09-27-2007, 07:49 AM
This is a serious ethical dilemma - do I selfishly squeeze in bagging some peaks on the weekend of my friend's wedding, or do I skip the hike to make sure I get there on time? I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but the groom is a member of these forums (KLTilton) and I'm in the wedding party...

I don't think you have any dilemma at all. From what I have seen,read and heard about Kevin he would probably go hiking with you. :rolleyes:

albee
09-27-2007, 08:36 AM
No rehearsal dinner on Saturday to attend?

Kearsarge North isn't a 'whack but has gorgeous views up top, especially for a late afternoon sunset, and it's on the 52 with a View list I believe.
Rehersal is 10 AM on Saturday... as soon as that is done I'm free to hike. (Unless the other groomsmen have other ideas.)

Great suggestion on Kearsarge North, though! But, I've been there already. It is looking like the Royces or the Moats. Or maybe Bald Cap near Gorham. Last weekend I took a short trip up Jockey Cap in Fryeburg - now that was what I call bang for your buck!

Pamola
09-27-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm assuming you've been to the doubletops?

albee
09-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Not yet. But I have been to the Doubleheads. In winter, no less!

Pamola
09-27-2007, 10:32 AM
yeah, what i meant. getting closer to friday...

marchowes
09-27-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm assuming you've been to the doubletops?

Sounds like someone is having baxter withdrawl syndrome (BWS). Only known cure: Trip to Baxter with Marc this weekend! :)

Kevin, Judy and Emma
09-28-2007, 02:56 PM
North Moat is real nice. Park at Diana's Baths on Westside Road and go up the Moat Mountain Trail, then continue past the summit and loop back on the Red Ridge Trail. A guy that moves as fast as you will have no problem doing this in about 3 hours. I'd stay away from the Rte 16/302 area in East Conway. If you do go towards Evan's Notch use Hurricane Mtn. Rd. as suggested before.

KDT

kltilton
09-28-2007, 08:46 PM
I'd say if you're going to hike, go for the Moats. You could do the whole ridge with a car spot (or someone who is willing and able to pick you up) or you could do a loop over North Moat and down Red Ridge. Many weddings happen during the year, foliage only comes once a year! Jess and I trust your judgement on what you can or can't handle. Have fun. That's what the weekend is all about.

Kevin

Motabobo
10-02-2007, 08:52 AM
With 3 pages worth of intellectual effort, you have to tell us what you ended up doing :rolleyes:

albee
10-02-2007, 09:15 AM
I ended up redlining about 13 miles of trails off of Bear Notch road in under 2 hours. Nanamocomuck ski trail, Rob Brook Trail, Church Pond loop.... it was the groom's idea and I was honored to have his company. Couldn't talk him into crossing Bear Notch Road and doing 2 miles of bushwhacking to tag Bear Mountain, though.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

P.S. KLTilton is officially off the market. Sorry, ladies! :D