PDA

View Full Version : mt. fredrica

Adk_dib
03-29-2004, 09:20 AM
I read that the last 5 miles of road to the trailhead is narrow dirt road. I want to do this in the spring. Anyone have any problems with this road. I also have a question about buck mtn in lake george. Are there any problems with rattle snakes and dogs? Dont want my baby to get bit.

rdl
03-29-2004, 03:09 PM
We drove in to the trailhead late last spring and didn't have any trouble in a small 4cyl car. Since this road/trailhead is the primary access to Lake Lila I think it may get a little maintenance every now and then.

crazymama
03-29-2004, 07:18 PM
A few years back we took the road to Lake Lila for a canoe trip. We were driving a Dodge Caravan, and bounced on a rock in the road and busted out something important on the bottom of our car. It was not a good way to start a canoe trip.

If you take it slow and careful, you should have no problems.

peak_bgr
03-30-2004, 05:55 PM
No, take it real slow. It was a few years ago when I was in there. It was early spring and it was a little tricky.

hamsinn
04-01-2004, 11:56 AM
You may want to call the forester that covers Lake Lila before you venture out. I was there a few years ago in May and the road leading in was extremely muddy in spots. We almost got stuck on several occassions in my friends high-clearance 4 wheel drive SUV. We also encountered a rather tricky patch of ice on a downhill section just before the lake. Beautiful area though - enjoy.

Mashmann
04-01-2004, 02:51 PM
Crazy Mama!

We were on the same road in a Dodge Caravan and the van hit a big rock sticking up in the middle of the road and we cracked open the transmission pan. What a coincidence!

The hardest part of the trip though is portaging the gear down to the lake.

Ed

crazymama
04-01-2004, 07:20 PM
Mashman---

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same rock!

I checked with my husband, he says we busted out the oil pan.

Funny coincidence...

ALGonquin Bob
04-01-2004, 08:14 PM
The road back to Lake Lila is a seasonal road; not sure when it opens. I drove the road back to "Inlet" (Oswegatchie River access, Wanakena area) late April a couple years ago. It was a combination of snow and mud; a real mess. Things can change while you're in there, making it hard to drive out again. When the conditions are like that, I would avoid that road until things dry up a bit more.

Adk_dib
04-05-2004, 10:58 AM
then is the hike worth the drive. It is about a 2.5 hour drive for me depending on how the dirt road is. I have not done many around tupper and would like to try some. If the summit has a good view I would take the risk to my oil pan. If it is just a ordinary hike I would go somewhere else.

Mashmann
04-05-2004, 11:20 AM
the lake is real pretty. you need a canoe to get to the real trailhead. the views are nice.

ed