PDA

View Full Version : NH Snow fall totals through 2/7/2008

bikehikeskifish
02-05-2008, 08:29 PM
All,

Was wondering about snowfall totals through Thursday, 2/7/2008 -- I have the day off and wanted to get out, but I suspect there won't be an abundance of trail conditions before late Wednesday.

This will be of interest to weekend planners as well, I suspect.

Thanks,
Tim

weatherman
02-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Good link:
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/sd1_today.jpg

That will give you a rough idea, anyway, combined with the AMC Backcountry conditions from mountwashington.org.
Things could be getting considerably better as the next week or so unfolds... :D

Weatherman

bikehikeskifish
02-06-2008, 05:57 AM
I don't necesarily believe that link. There is way more snow in my yard than it says there should be and Waterville's XC link says 28-31" in the woods. Having skied there now for 12 years as a pass holder, I've often measure the snow in the woods to check the accuracy and they are usually very close.

More importantly I am interested in the new snow, that which would require trail breaking. I'm hoping some of the locals will respond.

Mohamed? DrewKnight?

Thanks,
Tim

Waumbek
02-06-2008, 07:05 AM
In Franconia @1200' this morning, there's 3" of new snow this morning with heavy snow continuing. In Portsmouth, however, it's currently raining. I don't know where the rain/snow line is at the moment. In any event, count on higher snow totals up here for tomorrow.

injektilo
02-06-2008, 08:50 AM
I like the interactive snow model for decent estimates of snow depth. Zoom in on the NE and select Snow Depth from the drop down menu on the left.

NOAA Interactive snow model (http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov/interactive/html/map.html)

Mohamed Ellozy
02-06-2008, 08:58 AM
More importantly I am interested in the new snow, that which would require trail breaking. I'm hoping some of the locals will respond.

Mohamed? DrewKnight?It snowed yesterday (I would guess four inches at 700 feet), it's snowing right now, with several inches predicted.

Executive Summary: bring snowshoes :D

DrewKnight
02-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Lessee... In Waterville, we had about 5" of fresh, medium-moisture content snow yesterday. Today started out full of promise (forecast for 3-5" during day and another 4-8" tonight), but it never materialized. We had light freezing rain early this AM which changed over briefly to mixed precip, sleet, grauple, then finally a period of nice snow, but it didn't amount to much, and it now appears that whole storm has pretty much blown itself out. Bummer.

I would tend to believe a well-consolidated 2 feet in the woods, Tim... total of maybe 10" of new snow since the last big ice event, but that's probably been tamped down pretty well with some warm temps and rain between cycles. If I get a chance this afternoon, I will run over to the Depot Camp parking lot and have a ground-level look.

4Khiker
02-06-2008, 03:01 PM
We had about 5 inches of wet heavy snow fall in Littletion between 7 a.m. and noon today. I attempted to drive south to Mass. this morning but decided to turn back in Lincoln as the road conditions were very poor. There was definitely more snow the further north you went, and as I write this it's still snowing ever so lightly after a break of a couple of hours. More snow is forecast fall tonight (4-8 inches?) up here, but time will tell if that's actually going to be the case. In any event, it's the wettest, heaviest snow we've had up here all year long.

Waumbek
02-06-2008, 05:08 PM
it's the wettest, heaviest snow we've had up here all year long.

Light freezing rain late this afternoon made it even heavier. It's packing very nicely under the 'shoes. It should all be over by 6 a.m. Thursday. Maybe.

forestgnome
02-07-2008, 04:53 AM
Last weekend's corn, which is great for skiing/riding but horrible for uphill snowshoeing, has been covered. SE White Mtns. got a few inches yesterday after an hour of rain. It wasn't as heavy as I expected when shoveling last night. Now, I'm about to go shovel another 6" and it's coming down steadily.

When is vernal equinox? ;)

happy trails :)

Waumbek
02-07-2008, 05:32 AM
Looks like another 6" out there, bringing the two-day storm total up near 12". This stuff looks lighter. It has stopped here for now.

1HappyHiker
02-07-2008, 08:45 AM
I'm hoping some of the locals will respond.
Here in Bethlehem, thereís 10+ inches of NEW snow on my picnic table that resulted from snow yesterday (06-Feb) and snow overnight (07-Feb). Itís now about 10 AM (07-Feb), and its still lightly snowing.

4Khiker
02-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Our snow total thus far in Littleton for the past two days is up to about 12 inches and it's still snowing heavily as I write this mid-morning on Thursday. The elevation of my home is right at the 1,000-foot mark, so it's probably a safe bet to say that the higher elevations got even more snow than what I've received. (I just came back from Bethlehem and I'd say there's defintiely more new snow there than in Littleton, which is almost always the case since the elevation is 500 to 600 feet higher up there.)

DrewKnight
02-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Yesterday was a literal wash. Last night the snow restarted around 10pm, and by this morning we had about 8" of fresh, relatively high-moisture content snow.

Tom Rankin
02-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Not NH, but last night we had thunder and lightning, and marble sized hail!!! :eek: It hasn't melted off as of this morning either.

Mohamed Ellozy
02-07-2008, 02:18 PM
... by this morning we had about 8" of fresh, relatively high-moisture content snow.Lower down we had closer to four to six inches, heavy stuff.

Mattl
02-07-2008, 05:21 PM
That first map goes by reporting or something because they do not even have the Whites listed. Hermit lake has 70 inches of snow on the ground. Most places in the Whites have 2-6 feet of snow. its beautiful up there!

bikehikeskifish
02-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Most places in the Whites have 2-6 feet of snow. its beautiful up there!

Of course it is. That's why we go!

Tim

una_dogger
02-07-2008, 05:33 PM
We've got the Bonds in mind for this weekend, anybody got any beta on the latest snowfall conditions in the Pemi?

Thanks,
S :p

Waumbek
02-07-2008, 08:11 PM
We've got the Bonds in mind for this weekend, anybody got any beta on the latest snowfall conditions in the Pemi?

Thanks,
S :p

Cannon reported a three-day total of 19" earlier today; call it 2' now. Lower elevations in Franconia are in the 10-14" range. I'd plan on 1'-2' and possibly more depending on elevation. This was the Little Storm That Could....it just kept huffing and puffing away. Caught us by surprise. But very well-timed for the upcoming Feb. school break weeks. I see there's an 80% chance of more snow Saturday and Sunday in Grafton County, but I'll defer to our "weather guys" for predictions on that one.

weatherman
02-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Looking great up north for the next week or so... no big storms likely but lots of little ones. Good stuff. No rain up north either. Down here, not so great. Wish I didn't have to work this weekend. And next week for school vacation we're driving to... Florida. Ecch. :mad:

Weatherman

Mohamed Ellozy
02-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Only got a couple of inches down in the valley last night, who knows how much higher up. But still, the stuff is accumulating, and the effects of the January thaw are fast disappearing!!

bikehikeskifish
02-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Waterville XC reports 4" new snow this morning, plus a total of 24-28" on the trails and 37-42" in the woods.

http://www.waterville.com/info/nordic/nordicconditions.asp

I may just have to spend this week skiing instead of hiking, since it appears there will be no views until possibly Thursday, combined with mucho trail breaking....

Tim

Waumbek
02-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Only got a couple of inches down in the valley last night, who knows how much higher up. But still, the stuff is accumulating, and the effects of the January thaw are fast disappearing!!

Very windy last night with only a trace of actual new snow in Franconia, but it has just started snowing heavily in the last hour. I re-packed most of my trails this morning from the wind-driven snow last night and started breaking out some new ones. I'm using the biggest 'shoes I own.

skibones
02-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Waterville XC reports 4" new snow this morning, plus a total of 24-28" on the trails and 37-42" in the woods.

http://www.waterville.com/info/nordic/nordicconditions.asp

I may just have to spend this week skiing instead of hiking, since it appears there will be no views until possibly Thursday, combined with mucho trail breaking....

Tim

Yesterday at I X-C up to the Cascade Brook trail--it was the best. The snow was still stuck on the trees and the trail had the best coverage. Today I stayed at the north end of WV and again the trails were the best I've ever seen. Tuesday a bunch of us will try the Kanc Brook trail --can't wait.
Skibones

DrewKnight
02-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Couple inches of fresh snow over night last night -- but the day today was something else... this afternoon, steady snow with occasional white-out conditions, positively puking snow and winds whipping up. 10-year-old Nathan and I were literally playing "Marco-Polo" on Upper Bobby's at 2pm... you could see your ski-tips and not a lot more. Your tracks from the last run had pretty well filled in (between blowing snow and fresh fallen) by the time you came back 15 minutes later.

The snow has eased out, maybe 4 to 5" of fresh down, but is still falling lightly now. May the January thaw be well behind us till, say, Tax Day...

DougPaul
02-10-2008, 07:30 PM
About 6 inches in the past few days near Breezy Point (south of Moosilauke). Fairly moist--temps were 25-30F. Made for some nice skiing.

Doug

skibones
02-11-2008, 04:15 AM
In WAterville Valley it looks like we got another 6-8" last night. Anyone who wants powder skiing--today is the day. The winds are still blowing though and the lifts might be affected by that.

dentonfabrics
02-11-2008, 05:41 AM
In WAterville Valley it looks like we got another 6-8" last night. Anyone who wants powder skiing--today is the day. The winds are still blowing though and the lifts might be affected by that.

Snowshoeing around the Kanc was awesome yesterday with about 4" of new snow (the heavy stuff) over a 4' base. Getting another 6-8" last night should result in pristine conditions.