PDA

View Full Version : Tucks trail conditions to floor of ravine

fmgate
04-17-2004, 09:30 AM
What are the present conditions on Tuckerman Ravine Tr. up to the floor of the ravine? My pregnant wife and I were thinking of going up to watch the skiing action tomorrow. Don't want to take her if the footing is too slippery or challenging right now.

Ridgerunner
04-17-2004, 09:16 PM
the conditions were hard packed snow in the morning with some icy patches that were very slick. Be esp. careful in the shady spots : stick to the sides. Coming down at six p.m., the same conditions prevailed.

Nadine
04-18-2004, 04:28 PM
How was the snow?
I'm headed up there on the 22nd for my near last ski of the season. I hope Hillman's is still in good shape. How did the avy debris look? I haven't seen any new pix at Tuckerman.org lately.

Nadine

kurcam
04-18-2004, 08:08 PM
i am heading up the 23rd as well and would be interested if anyone has updated first hand conditions info.

in the meantime, i'd offer these, perhaps you have noted them already:

i'd suggest waiting 'til sometime monday as they may be updated for the weekend.

cheers

http://www.chauvinguides.com/conditionski.htm

http://timefortuckerman.com/

Frodo
04-18-2004, 11:26 PM
I was up there today with a few friends and posted a trail conditions report. As far as the bowl itself goes, it's primo for skiing, and so are most of the gullys. Central Gully has some major ice which can fall at any time (so does the Sluice), but everything else looks good. Hillman's is in great shape.

The avy debris field is still prominent (and quite humbling). Shows how powerful nature is. Kind of like mogals now...

Have a blast! :)

kurcam
04-19-2004, 08:58 AM
thanks for the info.

a yankee fan in mass...brave.

Bob Kittredge
04-19-2004, 10:38 AM
The trail up to the ravine was a mixture of mud, snow, ice, slush and running water. Large parts are definitely slippery. I'd recommend some sort of traction aide if you're concerned about falling. Instep crampons?

On the other hand, if you enjoy boot skating, you can really make it down in good time. Kind of strenuous though.

kurcam
04-19-2004, 10:45 AM
a friend and i are planning to skin the trail. still recommended/possible? or would hiking be wiser? thanks.

Bob Kittredge
04-19-2004, 01:46 PM
I shouldn't think skinning would be called for. There are occasional patches of mud and rock. Most people were barebooting yesterday without much trouble. A few had crampons on.

kurcam
04-19-2004, 01:55 PM
thanks bob

nhski
04-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by kurcam
a friend and i are planning to skin the trail. still recommended/possible? or would hiking be wiser? thanks.

You can skin from about 1/3 the way up the tucks trail

kurcam
04-21-2004, 01:41 PM
thanks-that may change what i pull out of the quiver. i'd been there in early march and the trail was in fine order, but with the warm conditions, i anticipated a potential full hike.

nhski
04-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by kurcam
thanks-that may change what i pull out of the quiver. i'd been there in early march and the trail was in fine order, but with the warm conditions, i anticipated a potential full hike.

two weekends ago i was able to skin the whole way up, last weekend had to walk the first 1/3