PDA

View Full Version : Rattlesnake fire

Waumbek
05-29-2008, 06:05 AM
Efforts to fight the Rattlesnake Mountain fire (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NH_FOREST_FIRE_NHOL-?SITE=NHCON&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT) (Rumney NH) continue today (Thursday). Needless to say, it's dry out there; be careful.

dRitter
05-29-2008, 07:00 PM
That sucks, but what it really tells me is that our primary responders for a forest fire are woefully out of shape in a state that is ill-postured to deal with a major conflagration. Many of our viewless peaks got that way from major fires.

If you think you are not susceptible look into a fire that thrashed Kensington and Southern Exeter in the wink of an eye not too many decades ago.

Is there a volunteer organization in this state where you can "lay it on the line if the sh*t hits the fan" in forestland? I have been in my not too recent past a firefighter and would respond if necessary.

Damon

Nate
05-29-2008, 07:15 PM
This is a funny (odd) coincidence. Rattlesnake happened to be the last peak I climbed on Saturday (at the end of a productive day, I had just enough time for this last short climb up to the scenic summit). I guess it will look noticeably differently if I climb it again soon.

It will be interesting to learn what started the fire.

TDawg
05-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Any info as to where exactly the fire was located on the mountain? 9 acres sounds like it could have included most of this small gem. :( Glad I visited there the end of April.

rocket21
05-30-2008, 05:27 AM
Just so that everyone's clear, this is the Rattlesnake west of Plymouth, not the one near Squam Lake.

dentonfabrics
05-30-2008, 05:33 AM
It's being reported that the fire may have been caused by humans. Not necessarily set, but perhaps caused by a campfire or a cigarette.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Rumney+fire%27s+origin+inves tigated&articleId=b6a05a61-3261-4e3e-9472-f28f448348fb

TDawg
05-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Sounds like the fire was concentrated on the rock climbing side of the mountain, not the hiking trail side and summit area. I hope thats not just wishful thinking. :o

blacknblue
05-30-2008, 08:43 PM
When I drove past today, the whole front/south side of the mountain was engulfed in smoke. I could see flames on the side of the mountain in a few places and there were two helicopters dumping what I assume to be water. The air smelled like campfire all the way to Plymouth.

kasym
05-30-2008, 11:12 PM
Is there a volunteer organization in this state where you can "lay it on the line if the sh*t hits the fan" in forestland? I have been in my not too recent past a firefighter and would respond if necessary.

Damon
Fantastic question. I almost never post here(Lurkey Lurkey!!), however, I would like to know if anyone (SAR-EMT40 or Sardog1 perhaps??) knows the answer to this. I always hear about searches or other goings ons and wish I could just drop what I'm doing and go up and help out in some way. I have no formal fire training, but know my way around a first aid kit, an excellent sense of direction, and most importantly, a willingness to insert myself into situations that any reasonable person (such as my wife) would consider to be miserable and maybe a little bit nuts (Freezing cold, nightime, foggy, rainy, 15 mile overnights) and still love every minute of it. I dunno I can be a bit crazy sometimes, so maybe this is just wishful thinking, but those seem like traits that would be handy in these situations. :p