PDA

View Full Version : VFTT Website For Sale: $5

darren
05-07-2004, 07:59 AM
OK, I have your attention. No the site is not for sale, but if it was, what is it worth to you? $1 ? $3? $5?

I posted a message asking for your support in The Brain Tumor Society Ride for Research and have not gotten much response so far. Out of the 1000+ registered readers on the site, only 100 looked at the message and out of that I have only received 1 online donation (thanks Rob!) and 2 checks in the mail (thanks teejay and Stan!).

I have been running this site for 10 (!) years. I run it out of my pocket and I seldom ask for donations to help defray the cost. What I do ask is that you ask yourself what this site is worth and donate it to The Brain Tumor Society. So take a look at the number of posts listed next to your avatar and think about it. Better yet, figure out the number of posts and trail conditions you have read over the last year and think about it. Think about the people you have met, the hikes you have taken, and the sense of community here. What is it worth? A penny a post? $2 ? $5 ? I'm guessing this website is a little more interactive, possibly more informative, and contains a few less ads than Backpacker Magazine, and I think people pay like $20 a year for that. If every reader on this site donated just $3, it would add up to a huge donation to TBTS.

Please consider sponsoring me on the TBTS Ride for Reseach this year and donate soon. The ride is on the 16th, which is just over a week away.

Donations can be made online by visiting my Ride for Research Homepage (https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=43903&lis=1&kntae43903=D26B8E2A2EFD4469B71A7E405C71C923&supId=15898347).

Due to the short time until the ride, online donations are the way to go but donations can still be made via snail mail by sending it directly to me soon at:

Darren Almeida
812 Potomska Rd.
South Dartmouth, MA 02748

Checks should be made out to "The Brain Tumor Society".

The Brain Tumor Society was founded in 1989 to provide hope and comfort to patients, survivors, and families; and help them in their struggle against a brain tumor by offering concrete informational resources and supportive services. The Society was also chartered with the goal to fund brain tumor research in order to find new treatments, and ultimately, a cure.

More information on The Brain Tumor Society can be found on their website (http://www.tbts.org).

Thank you for your support!

- darren

Tuco
05-07-2004, 08:14 AM
Darren:

Your point is well taken.

Just an FYI- I'll be doing the Devils Path hike with the other VFTT'ers and posting a donation in the name of my kids for $25 as well.

I appreciate all you have done and the value I receive from this site.

Eric

darren
05-07-2004, 08:29 AM
Eric,

Thanks for your support! I know that some people are doing the Devil's Path hike and I appreciate their donations on that event just as much! I plan on being there for the hike to run support and look forward to meeting you and everyone else.

Thanks again!

- darren

Periwinkle
05-07-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by darren
OK, I have your attention

Good one, Darren! A real attention getter.

I have to admit, I didn't see the first post. I think I have my eyes trained to skip the "stickies", as in "oh, yeah, site rules...read that already". I know....BAD, BRENDA, BAD! BAD GIRL. I promise to read the top lines from now on!

Bob Smith
05-07-2004, 09:37 AM
Good Luck with your ride, I used the on-line option. Hope to see you in the Catskills

gonewandering
05-07-2004, 10:00 AM
The online option works much better when you put money in the card :D , went thru this time!
THANK YOU ! and keep up the good work!
EC

Jasonst
05-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the reminder of how invaluable this website is to my outdoor pursuits. I wish you luck in reaching your goal.

Jason

Mark
05-07-2004, 10:15 AM
I hang my head in shame. I should have responded to your first request. I put a donation through on the online site.

C'mon folks! Let's show Darren some support. He offers this web site to us out of his own generosity. It has to be worth something to all of you to be able to visit a valuable web site without being bombarded with ads!

Keep up the good work on all fronts, Darren.

Jaytrek57
05-07-2004, 10:16 AM
Darren,

Although I don't post that often, I truly enjoy and appreciate this website. Just made my donation on-line.

Best of luck!!

daxs
05-07-2004, 10:25 AM
Darren, just made a donation online. Have a fun and safe ride this weekend.

Rob S
05-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Not to much to ask and it certainly is a worthy cause. Keep up the great work Darren

I agree. And we all appreciate the value of this site.
Thanks, Darren.

sli74
05-07-2004, 10:49 AM
This site is certainly worth every penny I can afford to put into it . . . I am working on raising money for the Devil's Path Hike also and can't wait to see you there, Thanks Darren.

sli74

Danielle
05-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Darren,

Thanks for the call to action. Just did an online donation. Good luck with the ride!

And just so you know, in case you don't hear it enough, we LOVE your site! I look at it every day at work and love the information it provides. Thank you thank you for giving us this place to trade information, advice and stories.

-Danielle :)

MichaelJ
05-07-2004, 12:05 PM
To-do lists mean nothing when I never check them. Thanks for the reminder!

I can't ride; that's my Mom's birthday and a friend gets his PhD that day as well. Good luck to Team VFTT and thanks to Darren for "gathering" us to this worthy cause.

1ADAM12
05-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Darren,

I lost my father to a brain tumor back in October of 1997. I know what a nasty disease this is and thankyou for raising money for this great cause. AS I did not contribute money to you I always make a contribution every year to the brain tumor society.

At my fathers funeral we had a fund set up that if anyone wanted to make a contribution they could mail in to the BTS. I think we raised just over five thousand dollars :)

Keep up the good work!

ADAM

Mark_151
05-07-2004, 02:05 PM
My mother passed away last year of a brain aneurism. Perhaps this research will benefit those people as well. You have my donation in her memory.

Mark

Mark_151
05-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by cantdog
If everyone who does the Wapack trip tomorrow wants to make a donation and brings their checkbooks, we can send them all together in one envelope.

Just threw a blank check in my wallet. Good idea Julie.

Mark

ronandjon
05-07-2004, 04:53 PM
Darren - thanks for the VFTT board, and for your unselfish support of this worthy cause. Good luck and success to you and the cause. Ron

Barry Sr
05-07-2004, 06:08 PM
This is the second year myself and my son will ride with Darren.
I hope to make it an annual event.

Join us?

Barry, Sr & Jr

ghassert
05-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Done, I have also emailed some folks I know who only check the trail conditions page.

ajtiv
05-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Darren thanks for all your selfless hardwork.
Just donated online.
Good luck in reaching your goal.
Al

BrentD22
05-07-2004, 08:21 PM
Darren sent $5.00 through the web-site for the cause! It's not much, but every little bit helps.

I donate much of my time to something called the Relay for Life Cancer 24 hour walk. There are a lot of locations it takes place. The one I help with is in Marlborough MA. If anyone is interested in donating to this check out the Cancer Societies web site. The addy I don't have sorry.

ALGonquin Bob
05-07-2004, 10:11 PM
It's done, man. Donation made, same as last year. Now if I can just find the time to order a VFTT sticker... can I do THAT on line too?

P.S. Can we have our "dog thread" back now?

bobandgeri
05-09-2004, 09:42 AM
Just made our donaton online - good luck!

askus3
05-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Sli,

Here is an incentive for you Sli. Now that I have to back out of the Devils Path hike and I see you are still going I am going to sponsor you for $2 per mile. So - go for it!!! BTW - if the hike gets postponed (bad weather) - deal is off because then I sponsor myself.
Aaron

sli74
05-09-2004, 09:37 PM
Aww . . . Thanks Aaron. That works out since if the hike gets postponed, I will have to back out since I have to pick up my parents from Logan airport on Sunday evening. I am having a tougher time than usual raising money for this hike since I have no official place of work right now and am in limbo :)

sli74

ChrisB
05-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Darren,

Thanks for the friendly "reminder!"

How is that that the really important stuff in life gets lost amid the crud and noise?

I'm in for $25 and proud of ya son!

(Hope your butt can handle the miles...not to mention those knees!)

Later,
cb

Louis
05-10-2004, 01:00 PM
thanks for the reminder... just did it trough the site
and thank you again for 'VFTT', it's the best

ExploreTheEast
05-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Good luck on the ride roadie! And congrads on meeting your fundraising goal with time to spare!

Silverback
05-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Twenty Dollars coming via snail mail from Victor, NY.

Thanks for a great site and for your efforts relative to this cause.

Mike Prockton

Ridgerunner
05-10-2004, 06:47 PM
You have now exceeded your goal, money wise. Nice going VFTT gang !
:)

darren
05-11-2004, 07:56 AM
I want to offer a big "THANKS!" to everyone who has contributed so far! I appreciate your support very much!

I have reached my personal goal of $1500, but we are still working towards the team goal of $5000. If anyone else is thinking about donating and hasn't done it yet, please don't be shy! No donation is too small. I would be thrilled if everyone here (or even a good majority) donated just $3 to TBTS. Lots of small donations add up quick...

I also want to give a special thanks to those of you who have been very generous every year for the last 3 years. You know who you are. :D Biiiiiiiig shaka, brah!

Thanks!

- darren

Rob
05-11-2004, 06:34 PM
I didn't realize when I donated that I was the first, but I'm glad I could lead the way. I don't spend as much time on VFTT as I'd like or even as much time on the trail as I'd like, but it's still important to give something back.

Thanks for all your efforts keeping the site going, Darren, and good luck on the ride!

bogorchis
05-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Darren -
Good luck on your ride! I just sent in a donation on line. This is a great web site, and I really appreciate all the effort that you put into it!:D

funkyfreddy
05-11-2004, 11:17 PM
OK, you got me. Since I'm not going on the DP hike anymore I'm going to pledge/sponsor Jay H and snowshoe. Good luck everyone, and I wish I could be there with all of you! By the way, if the hike does get postponed there's a good chance I could hop back in also!

Mashmann
05-13-2004, 10:15 AM
good luck on the ride.

LauraM
05-14-2004, 03:36 PM
Good luck this weekend, Darren!

I am raising money for the DP hike -- hope to see you there!

Laura

sbear
05-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Darren,

Gave some of the people sponsoring me for the dp hike your web page for the ride since they wanted to donate online. Hope that was ok.

Good luck on the ride and see you next week on the trail.

SBear