PDA

View Full Version : Allen from Marcy Trail

WalksWithBlackflies
05-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Is there a herd path to Allen from the Marcy Trail between Elk Lake and Panther Gorge? If not, has anyone attempted the bushwhack?

Bhoody
05-21-2004, 11:51 AM
I'll add a little to Alpine's mention of the Sand Brook route. My wife's uncle did the Sand Brook route back in the 1980's - once in the winter and once in the summer. The winter was easy (I mean easy in relative terms) and took about 12 hours. The summer was a nightmare of blowdown and took something like 21 hours. I believe he has not hiked in the summer since....

Peakbagr
05-21-2004, 02:30 PM
I've looked at the Sand Brook route for over 20 years and have always found a reason for avoiding it. The terrain difficulty has been legendary for years.

Tom H
05-22-2004, 07:50 AM
The Sand Brook route crosses private land and for that reason alone should be avoided. However, you can make a legal approach if you continue up the Marcy trail to state land then roughly contour across (one deep gully at Marcy Brook) then up to the Allen/McDonnell col. Mark L and I did this route in September of '00 and found it to be exhilerating (i.e., extreme). It took us 5 hours to make the 2 miles to the summit, then after a long summit break we made the return trip in the same time of 5 hours. I'll preface by saying we weren't trying to set any speed records that day, as this was my first serious hike after a knee injury earlier in the summer, but still our time was slow - about 18 hours round trip (5:30am-11:30pm as I recall). The good news is we met two great new hiking buddies on the summit of Allen and my knees didn't act up.