PDA

View Full Version : Pemi Bonds Hike August



Tuco
06-02-2004, 10:21 PM
I am in the VERY early stages of planning a long hike in NH in the Pemi Wilderness the weekend of 8/20-23. The only thing definite is that I want to cover the three Bonds during the hike. I may do one long day, or an overnight at the Guyot campsite (if so, I'll probably stay on a Sunday night).

Before getting into detailed planning, I was curious if anybody was interested in joining me (I plan on going slow and steady). Other than hitting the Bonds, my plans are flexible regarding loop, one way, out and back, backpack, days of hiking etc. If interested, please post, PM or email me. I'll probably hotel it the night before the hike.

Jim lombard
06-03-2004, 08:38 AM
That's my favorite area in the Whites. I remember Guyot being a VERY popular campsite so when you go get a site early. I've done perhaps 6 trips in that area from day deathmarches to overnights and the Twinway trail in that area is spectacular.

I'll be on the Western Breach route of Killimanjaro at that time enjoying the hike of a lifetime!

sp1936
06-03-2004, 12:25 PM
I'm planning a similar trip during July 4th week. If my plans change, maybe I'll hook up with you.

Steve

MadRiver
06-03-2004, 02:57 PM
I have a tentative plan to do a one or two night trip into the Bonds sometime around June 29th. If the weather isnít good I will cancel the trip.

Rob S
06-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Hi Eric, it's too bad I didn't know about this trip when we met at the Devil's Path Charity Hike ....... we could have discussed it quite a bit. A friend at work has been trying to convince me to head to the Whites this summer. We've done the Presidentials many times and we were contemplating something in the Pemi Wilderness instead. So, I'm definitely interested! Maybe we can even carpool. Let me know the routes you are considering and a basic itinerary. Take care, Rob

Jay H
06-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Hmmm, if I don't go to Alaska, I may be free that time in August... Haven't been to the Whites that much... errh not at all as a hiker....

How fixed are you with the dates?

Jay

Tuco
06-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Jay:

The dates have to be in August due to my one trip per month rule (see thread on spouses :) ) and that weekend in August is the best for me. Rob and I have been PM'ing and it sounds good so far.

I think it sounds like we'll go north on the Wilderness trail and up Bondcliff and overnight at Guyot. We're still workiing on the 2nd day scenario.

Alaska, well, if you can't join us it does't sound like we'll have to feel too bad for you.

Jay H
06-07-2004, 12:58 PM
I think you have it backwards- One spouse per month.. :D

I would be in trouble with that if I was married, I think.

Jay

LauraM
06-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Eric:

Not sure what I am doing that far in advance, but it would be great to hike with you and Rob, and I would love to hike the Bonds. As for Jay, that devil, I've already hiked 24 miles with him, what's another 13?:D Maybe I could round up some more New England VFTTers for the hike. Keep me in the loop!

Laura

Tuco
06-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Laura:

Rob and I have been communicating and tentatively we are considering a Friday drive up (deciding on whether to hotel it or camp it that night), and hike as follows:

Day 1- Zealand Trail to the Hut- twinway to Bondcliff trail- bondcliff to the Guyot Campsites- settle in, drop the packs and hike it over to West Bond and back to Guyot for the night

Day 2
Bondcliff down to Wilderness Trail, to lincoln woods and out. Hotel and drive home on Monday.

Of course, so far in advance anything can change but sounds like a reasonable way to cover the Bonds for Rob and me znd our old (maybe overused is better) knees.

Hope you can join us, and anybody else who you can muster.

As we get closer to the date I'll get in touch to remind you of our plans.

And I promise, no rangers on this hike.

:D

Rob S
06-12-2004, 08:27 AM
And I promise, no rangers on this hike.

Well, at least not any WRs! ;)

Of course you realize they may very well be monitoring this board and may plan a midnight rendevouz at Guyot .......... OK, I'll stop .......... I'm scaring myself now! :D :D

Glad to hear you're interested Laura. This will be a blast. I have your email address from the Devil's Path Hike so we'll keep you up-to-date with the plans.

Rob

LauraM
06-12-2004, 05:30 PM
Great, guys!!

Rob, I'll look for your emails. Hope it all works out! Your trip sounds great, I hope to be along.

Enjoy your weekend and the nice weather!

Laura

Jay H
06-12-2004, 06:06 PM
OK,, August 20-23... I haven't set the dates for Alaska so I may be able to swing it if I return before that weekend. I wont be able to take Monday off so somehow I would have to leave on the 22nd......

But I'll see...

Jay

Rob S
06-15-2004, 11:55 AM
It's now August 27, 28, 29 and driving home on August 30.


I wont be able to take Monday off ....

Come on Jay, you know what they say about Mondays ......
I think you need to take off another Manic Monday and join us! :D

Jay H
06-15-2004, 12:10 PM
Well, that would be a lot better,, Aug 27th I am off for a normal friday off and I know we have to be back by the 30th cause it's my friend's anniversary so her spouse would shoot her if she's away.

I think I am a go for this then....

Jay

Warren
06-15-2004, 07:55 PM
I may be into joining this, I'm currently planning on "being on the road in the NE" from the weekend of the 27th to the weekend after Labor Day or in the Northwest or both, I haven't really made up my mind just yet. But I have been wanting to get up the Bonds for a while now.

If I do go I may stay in the woods for a few more days and explore the Pemis some more.

Yeah, no rangers this time, but there is a reasonable chance of caretaker oddity.

Rob S
06-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Cantdog, Warren,
Hope you can make it. I'll send you an email or PM tomorrow with the planned itinerary.

Warren, Actually, I was going to email you anyway about the possible hike to explore the slide on Friday during the September Gathering. Sounds very cool. Hope all is well.

Rob

Tuco
08-10-2004, 02:09 PM
About two weeks until trip time. Unfortunately, i12climbup (Rob) will be unable to make it. I will likely cancel my Zealand hut reservation and camp with Jay unless somebody would like to buy Rob's spot in the hut. Makes no difference to me either way.

If anybody is interested, feel free to email or pm.