PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in a VFTT outing to Monodnock ?

Peakbagr
08-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Is anyone up for a hike up Monodnock sometime this Fall or Winter?
I've passed by this peak for over 20 years, busy with other mountains.
We did a family and friends hike to Monodnock summer before last and it was a blast. While its crowded on top, walking above the treeline for a long time was fun, and its a short enough day to allow dinner and adult beverages afterward.

Mark_151
08-07-2004, 04:51 PM
I'm in the neighborhood, so I'd be up for it. Winter works best for me, that's when the crowds thin out a little bit. Early morning starts definitly help as well.

Dugan
08-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Do you mean Mount Monadnock in Jaffrey NH? There's another in VT near Colebrook NH, but I don't think it has an exposed summit.

If it is the one in Jaffrey, I'd be interested, but only in winter.

iceNsnow
08-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Would it be a day trip?
Anyone from Albany area want to carpool?

:)

Quietman
08-07-2004, 06:42 PM
Any time for me. I live 10 miles away and was up the Dublin trail last month for the 1st time in years. Pumpelly sounds good for a group trip, or some of the lesser travelled trails on the south side.

Peakbagr
08-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Inge,
We could meet in Albany. Lets see how many folks are up for this.
Autumn or Winter.
Its the one in southern NH.

PB

Frosty
08-08-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Quietman
Pumpelly sounds good for a group trip, or some of the lesser travelled trails on the south side. Sounds good. I'd be up for that.

Frosty

poison ivy
08-08-2004, 11:29 AM
I'd definitely be interested... it's been years since I've hiked Monadnock.

-- Ivy

sardog1
08-08-2004, 05:18 PM
FYI, for the benefit of that happy, handsome white-haired guy pictured above:

Monadnock State Park (http://www.nhstateparks.org/ParksPages/Monadnock/Monadnock.html) bans pets in the park. For details for all NH state parks see NH State Parks pets policy (http://www.nhstateparks.org/ParksPages/PetsPolicy.html).

iceNsnow
08-08-2004, 06:39 PM
PB - midweek in either season!:)

KayakDan
08-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Mrs. KD and I would be interested in a fall or winter gathering. We usually use Monadnock as a November trip once or twice to get in shape for backpacking season in the Whites. Who wants to make this an overnight? It's pretty plush there-bathrooms- and fire rings in the campsites-and a camp store. Andrew and Mike do a great job there.

Bob
08-09-2004, 10:43 AM
I am 'red-lining' Mt. Monadnock.
I also have a camp nearby if anyone wants to stay there. It is a hike-in spot in Marlow NH.

Peakbagr
08-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Looks like even at this early date there is interest. Maybe a Saturday in late October with an alternative weather backup date.
Looking to hear from a few other folks still.

Rick
08-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Perfect timing!!!!! Count me in Please -
I was on Mt. Wachusett yesterday and saw a Mountain almost directly north of me, about 25-35 miles away It had a long distinctive ridge. I couldn't wait to get home to see what it was on my Nat Geo Topo. Naturally it was Monadnock. Our new house is about 1 hour almost directly south (right by Wachusett).

I'd love to hook up with VFTT folks there!!!!!

cooperhill
08-09-2004, 03:30 PM
How about a winter moonlight hike. I did that a couple of years ago.

Peakbagr
08-09-2004, 04:29 PM
It certainly appeals to me, but its a couple of hours drive for a few of us who don't live nearby.

Dugan
08-09-2004, 07:05 PM
October is close enough to winter for me.

sardog1: Thank you, I am aware that Monadnock and many other NH state parks do not allow pets. In any case, I would not bring a dog on a large group hike. Too many unknown people could lead to too many unpredictable situations.

Rick: If you see a big white dog wearing a blue halter on Wachusett, that's me (or rather, I'm the human at the other end of the leash). Hope you enjoy learning the trails!

KenC
08-10-2004, 05:26 AM
I'd be in Peakbagr!!.... Fall / Winter, either is fine. From a crowds standpoint the later the better. It's only 1.5 hours from my house woohoo no 3+ hour drive:-) I'd camp it there at the park.

brianW
08-10-2004, 05:49 AM
Where do I sign up? A 15min drive will beat the 3hr drive to the Whites. I was on the Monadnock (well Bald Rock) yesterday with the kids. Like Bob I am slowly redlining it also.

Just a heads up for the weekend of October 23rd, Keene, NH will be putting on their annual Pumpkin Festival. Last year they had over 28,000 jack-o-lanterns lite in the downtown area. It is a pretty cool site to see.

LittleBear
08-10-2004, 07:47 AM
I'm interested. I've actually never hiked Monadnock! Whether I can make it or not depends on the date you pick. My hiking calendar is quite full (LOL).

Barry Sr
08-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Count me in, I missed the last one in that area that mike set up on the Wapack.

I know, no dog.:D

Peakbagr
08-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Depending on dates, we could end up with a fairly large turnout.
If this were the case, maybe we arrange to all meet at the trailhead at a given time and then break it into another group(s).
We could really make this interesting by then swapping groups at the summit, so folks could visit with most everyone?

Does anyone know of some good places to meet afterword for dinner and beverages, and in close proximity to the main trailhead? Perhaps west, back towards Vermont and NYS?

Quietman
08-10-2004, 10:30 AM
There are numerous spots in Keene, 15 minutes west of most trail heads, which wouldn't be too far west for those of us who live to the east. I can do some research if that looks like an option. BrianW might also know more about specific spots.

Mark_151
08-10-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Peakbagr
Depending on dates, we could end up with a fairly large turnout.
If this were the case, maybe we arrange to all meet at the trailhead at a given time and then break it into another group(s).
We could really make this interesting by then swapping groups at the summit, so folks could visit with most everyone?

Does anyone know of some good places to meet afterword for dinner and beverages, and in close proximity to the main trailhead? Perhaps west, back towards Vermont and NYS?

Keene's probably got some good eateries. And, as someone suggested, if the hike coincides with the Pumpkin Festival, the post-hike show could be fun.

carole
08-10-2004, 10:33 AM
Like LittleBear said, it would depend on the date set. I've been there but once. I thought it quite nice but would rather drive the distance north than south. But if Little Bear or anyone else would be interested in car pooling (she's not too far from me) I would enjoy it all the more.

Quietman
08-10-2004, 10:37 AM
During the pumpkin fest, Keene can be a madhouse and I'm thinking that finding space for a large group at an eatery might be a challenge. They close down Main st and mobs of people come to town
link to pumpkin fest (http://www.ci.keene.nh.us/community/pumpkin.htm)
Just a warning.

brianW
08-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Quietman is correct about downtown Keene and local food/drinking establishments being crowded. I just mentioned the Pumpkin fest. because I have found it a lot of fun in the past.

For post hikes spots in Keene I would suggest Magaritas (mexican) right on Main St. or Elm City Brewery at the Colony Mill (West St.) I can vouch for the 1st for the food/drinks, at Elm City I have only had appertizers and beer.

I would also suggest Kimbles Farm but they close I think in late Sept or early October.

By the way Jaffery will have its annual Fireworks Celebration on August 21st. The area will be crowded in the pm hours.

Peakbagr mentioned stating a date, time and meeting at the parking lot. Sounds this maybe the best idea.

LittleBear
08-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Carpooling would work for me! Something we can figure out once a date has been set.

HikerBob
08-10-2004, 10:33 PM
I've never hiked Monadnock and would welcome other s-l-o-w hikers for company :)

I've always been leery about joining group hikes because I'd either feel pressure to try and keep up or guilty for slowing others down. If you feel the same way, don't! I have been outpaced by moluscs and the swifter lichen.

Maybe the slow contingent could start earlier and aim for a summit rendevous with the fleeter of foot.

Bob

KayakDan
08-11-2004, 09:18 AM
Maybe we do a group campsite at the park for the overnighters?

Rick
08-11-2004, 11:11 AM
Bob, I am a slow hiker as well (at least going uphill)

Reference: I just hiked Wachusett last night on the Pine Hill Trail and it took me exactly 26 minutes. 4 minutes short of the estimated time required on the park map (Which I assume is usually realistically aimed at slower families with small children).

BTW can I just shout out "I LOVE LIVING IN MA" I could see Mondadnock last night from the top of Wachusett. The clouds were blowing and it just felt incredible to be on a NE peak again (albeit it a smaller one, I'll take what I can get!!!!!!)

I am getting a tingling feeling all over thinking about all of the snow we'll get up here as opposed to Easton PA.

YIPPEEEEEEE ):D :D :D

SherpaKroto
08-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Monadnock has lots to offer in terms of diverse trails. I'd suggest that rather than a staggered start, the group split into slow, moderate, and fast, matching each to trail options (i.e. slow on White Dot/Cross, moderate on Birchtoft/Red Spot, fast on Pumpelly). That way all could meet at the summit which is always crowded. I'd also suggest a real early start, as it can get quite annoying to move over every 30 seconds to let someone come by. Another suggeston is to select lesser used trails for descent (White Dot is by far the most popular)

Depending on the date, I'd be up for joining in on this hike.

BTW, this is a great mountain to introduce new hikers to a "big mountain" hike. It has extensive ledge hiking and great views.

daxs
08-11-2004, 12:18 PM
This hike is beginning to sound enticing. I am on the susp of finishing my ADK 46 and I am looking to expand my hiking horizons beyond the dacks and catskills. Depending on the exact date I may join.

bobandgeri
08-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Count us in!

cantdog, LittleBear, Carole, anyone else who might want to carpool from the Merrimack/Nashua area - your welcome to meet at/by our house and drive over together - we have a large suburban that will seat 6 - 8 people.

dundare
08-15-2004, 07:07 PM
My wife Kelly and I would love to join you all on the hike to Monadnock. Its a fun climb and the Pumpelly Ridge trail is a nice one. We are also members of the Slow Hikers Society of America and give thanks to HikerBob for giving us the courage to come forward with our conditions :D

MichaelJ
08-15-2004, 07:20 PM
Definitely count me in, unless it's the weekend of Oct 23rd, when the best man duties that are keeping me from going to the Gathering will culminate in raucous partying (and hopefully wedded bliss for my friends).
8)

hikethe115
08-15-2004, 07:43 PM
I would love to join you on this too. Like Littlebear, my calendar is quite full too. I have not hiked it and by then will be done with the 115 and looking for new territory to explore!

hardyb
08-16-2004, 06:18 AM
Has a date been set for this hike? maybe i just missed it. I try to hike monadnock at least 2 or 3 time a month sence it's only 15 minutes from my home. There are lot's of options for hikes, it can be a short 4 miler or a 12 miler. What ever you do don't go on Columbus day weekend or any of the peak foliage weekends, tooooo many people. although there are trails which avoid the crowds the summit will be crazy.

Peakbagr
08-16-2004, 06:58 AM
No date set yet. Been checking on some things.

Barbarossa
08-20-2004, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by LittleBear
Carpooling would work for me!

Carpooling is an excellent idea. Someone suggested the Pumpelly trail, but it if I recall correctly, it has a tiny parking lot. My personal favorite is the Marlboro trail. It is a bit steep, but it doesn't have the crowds. It also has a nice side hike to Monte Rosa.

---

Timing is everything! I have twice had the sumit to myself. Once was a bright Tuesday in February, the other was this past July 5th (Monday Holiday), when I reached the summit just after 7:30 on a raw day. I think that an early start is best.

Bob Kittredge
08-31-2004, 07:24 AM
Actually, the Pumpelly has no parking lot. You have to park by the side of the road. And the trailhead can be hard to find as it's not well marked. Most groups will meet at the flagpole on 101 in Dublin and carpool from there. When you get there, everyone should park on the same side of the road and as close to the woods as possible to minimize disruption of local traffic.

An excellent hike. 9 miles and 2000'.

The Marlboro is also my favorite, but Shaker Road to the trailhead can be quite rough and rocky for vehicles with low clearance. You can make it a semi-loop by going up the Marlboro and down by the Smith Summit, Great Pasture, Marian and Marlboro trails.

percious
08-31-2004, 10:00 AM
I am interested in joining all of you with my son (and maybe wife) for this hike. Timing is def. everything. October is so busy for us! I would think the best thing would be to match the hike with the foliage. Maybe someone should post a poll, or break it up into two hikes. Seems like there is a lot of interest.

-percious

attroll
08-31-2004, 11:27 PM
I am also waiting for a date to be set to see if I will be joining everyone. I also have a full calendar. The dates is what will make the decision for me.

smitty77
09-03-2004, 10:20 AM
I'd love to go since I haven't been to Monadnock in a year, but I'll be in Florida for the first two weeks of October. How about I run this date up the falgpole and see who salutes it?
October 16, 8 am, halfway house parking lot.
Reason for this location being lots of "off street" parking and a variety of short/long hikes with posibilities for loops and such. Plus there are facilities (chem toilets) in the parking lot. Foliage will probably be past peak at this date, but so will the crowd levels.

Just a thought.
Smitty

Peakbagr
09-03-2004, 12:38 PM
I started this thread and been remiss about posting a date with lots going on at home and work. Please give me another few days as I'd like to get a proposed date and a backup and waiting from my "co-organizer" to clear his calendar.
Probably 2 Saturdays in October, or perhaps early November when the mountain will be even more deserted.

NH_Mtn_Hiker
09-03-2004, 05:43 PM
October... Please

Peakbagr
09-03-2004, 07:49 PM
See New Thread. Date selected. Saturday 10/9