PDA

View Full Version : Best After Hike Meals in High Peaks

spaddock
09-07-2004, 04:29 PM
I was just wondering what everyone's favourite places to go eat after a big hike are.

My personal favorites are the burger at Down the Hill Grill in Lake Placid, pizza at Little Italy in Saranac Lake, and a pulled pork sandwich from Tale of the Pup also in Saranac Lake.

I'm always on the lookout for cool places to have a great meal apres hike. Gives me something to dream about during those last few miles.

S

Karel
09-07-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by spaddock
I was just wondering what everyone's favourite places to go eat after a big hike are.

My personal favorites are the burger at Down the Hill Grill in Lake Placid, pizza at Little Italy in Saranac Lake, and a pulled pork sandwich from Tale of the Pup also in Saranac Lake.

I'm always on the lookout for cool places to have a great meal apres hike. Gives me something to dream about during those last few miles.

S

The Lake Placid Brewery is a good place. As is the Noonmark Diner in Keene Valley.

A great (new) restaurant in Lake Placid is Freestyle. Right on Main Street. But you might want to shower before going there after a hike.

skidoc22
09-08-2004, 05:57 AM
Lake Placid Pub and Brewery on Mirror Lake rd. Gotta have an UBU!:cool:

percious
09-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Two words. Phat Shannons.

MMMM.... PIZZA.

-percious

lumberzac
09-08-2004, 09:38 AM
I had a great breakfast this weekend at the Long Lake Diner after doing the Santanoni Range.

Jay H
09-08-2004, 09:40 AM
Eric and I stopped at a small family dinner in Brattleboro called Bickman's on the way back from the Pemis, I had a very nice breakfast consisting of scrambled eggs, pancakes and sausage. It's right off I-91 on Rt 9E on the rotary there...

[edit - Oops, didn't realize we're talking the ADKs here... I've only eatan out once when I was in the ADKs, and it was somewhere in Lake Placid but was fairly forgettable.

Jay

SherpaKroto
09-08-2004, 12:36 PM
Flanagan's Pub, directly across from Stewarts - highly recommended if you are looking for a good casual place to eat in that area. They are VERY Hiker friendly - take off your shoes and sit a spell!

Oldsmores
09-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by AlpineSummit
...Noonmark? UGH, ordinary at best. They're for sale tho: a million smackers! Can ya believe it? $1,000,000 That's a lot of slices to pie to sell before turning a profit.
$1,000,000 for the Noonmark? Wow! Can't imagine that you could make the mortgage payment, even at their inflated prices... Unless there's some serious acreage included, that just doesn't make sense.
Anyway, I've got to go with the L P Brew Pub. In the winter they serve a mean Shepard's Pie, and the beer is always excellent.

jbrown
09-08-2004, 12:59 PM
If you're heading down south on I-87 anyway, stop in Schroon Lake and go to Pitkin's. Great food, generous portions. Goooooood gravy...

spaddock
09-19-2004, 08:32 AM
I went to the Ausable Inn for their burger after hiking the Dix range. It was pretty good, not as good as Down the Hill grill in Lake Placid.

It might have been because i forgot to order cheese and i asked for it well done and it came really well done.

The waitress was really nice though and she thought it was a pretty cool idea when I asked to have an Onion ring on top of the burger. At Down the Hill Grill they called it a "Freak" burger when I ordered it that way... :)

The place had a nice feel to it and there was a funny crowd chatting on the bar. Any food is great food after a 5 peak day!

S.

ken
09-19-2004, 08:33 PM
if you are headed south (down I-87) if you can wait till exit 13N try p.j.'s barbeque just south of saratoga - get off at 13N and head north on route 9 for 1-2 miles it is on the right side of rte. 9 - between 6-9pm saturdays they have a dee-jay playing 50's music they close at 9pm.

jeenyus
09-19-2004, 09:51 PM
black bear in lake placid
enough said

TCD
09-19-2004, 11:32 PM
Noonmark has gone a little downhill in the last two years, but still OK. Cliffhanger (also for sale) is good for breakfast; after a hike it's good if you can live on falafel.

Try Tip a Canoe (open for about 2 years now) in Keene. Also very good is Baxter Mountain Tavern at the top of the hill between Keene and Etown. Under new ownership (it used to be the Spruce Hill Inn), the food and service are excellent.

TCD

hankmccain
09-20-2004, 12:00 PM
I stayed in the Adirondack Loj with my wife and the in-laws for a couple nights last year. The wife and I did Marcy and got back to the Loj just in time for dinner. They knew I was vegetarian and had a fantastic tofu stir-fry waiting for me.

Pizza, however, really is the ultimate post-hike food. Especially if you have been eating nothing but freeze dried stuff and power bars for a few days. To me it doesn't matter where it is from - there is no such thing as bad pizza.

Liz
09-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Had a great sandwich and an ale at the Baxter Mt. Tavern after recently hiking Owl's Head Lookout. The Black Bear Inn is good for lunch too. Sorry, but IMHO, after a long day hike, there is nothing like your homemade tomato and meat sauce over pasta, sipping red wine while all is cooking in a cozy kitchen in your rented housekeeping cottage!

Grumpy
09-20-2004, 01:56 PM
One evening a few years ago, after completing a hike during which my daughter Prima Donna Grumpy claimed her first two Adirondack High Peaks, she and I set up our portable gas grill at Mounument Pool along the Ausable River between Lake Placid and Wilmington, and cooked and ate hot dogs and drank beer.

A candidate for the most perfect post-hike supper Ive ever enjoyed.

Do you suppose the perfection was a matter of the food? Or the location? Or the company? Or the occasion?

(My own guess it was a mix of all that)

G.

spaddock
09-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Definitely a mix of it all. Not too mention post hike a lot of food will taste awesome.

Not a bad idea... apres hike setup a grill at the side of the road.... could even sell a few dogs and burgers to people like me wanting to hammer home but grab some good eats.

S.

skidoc22
09-20-2004, 07:29 PM
Little Italy in Saranac Lake - liked the pizza a lot, also good pepperoni bread and garlic knots. Great views on the way to Saranac from the Seward range. The Hot spot in Saranac on a Saturday nite!

Peakbagr
02-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Anyone want to update this list?

kwc
02-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Black Bear is gone ... and so is the Cliffhanger in Keene Valley.

Peakbagr
02-19-2007, 01:34 PM
I 2nd the Baxter Mt Tavern. Great food, good beer, with a nice outdoor patio in warmer weather.
They keep the large lawn behind the Tavern mowed in the summer. Good place to watch the deer come our and graze at dusk while you're enjoying dinner.

HH1
02-19-2007, 01:38 PM
A few minutes north from Paul Smiths is Samson's Bar and Grill, untill recently called the Meacham Lake Inn, located near the 30/458 junction. Having eaten dinner there a week ago, our group of eight gave thumbs up on the eats and service.

The steaks and black angus burgers were especially good.

http://www.samsonsbarandgrill.com/index.html

TCD
02-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Gone:

Tip a Canoe is out of business (for sale).

For those who remember River Run on Rte. 9 outside Elizabethtown, it's out of business.

Last I heard, the owner of the Cliffhanger was still planning to complete repairs from the fire and reopen eventually...

Still good:

Noonmark, Baxter Mtn. Tavern, Ausable Inn.

And for southbound folks from Tahawus and Elk Lake, don't forget the stalwart DeCesare's Pizza in Schroon Lake.

For those who go out through Minerva, consider Trapper's (in the Copperfield) and Casey's North (for sale but still operating) in North Creek.

New places / features:

If you're sleeping late, or coming out of the woods early, on a Sunday, the Ausable Inn in Keene Valley now has a terrific Sunday Brunch 11:00-2:30. Great food, wonderful people.

A newer addition is the reopening of the Deer's Head Inn in Elizabethtown. Gourmet dinners! (Not all the service staff are very friendly, though. A couple are nice.)

Cedar Run in Keene (across from the still and forever closed Monty's Elm Tree Inn) has good breakfast and take out baked goods and frozen foods. Take out is open until 6 PM last I looked.

Now I'm hungry again!

TCD

Guinness
02-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Adding to the previous lists:

Caribbean Cowboy - Lake Placid
Adirondack Blarney Stone (http://www.adirondackblarneystone.net/) - Long Lake
Wobbly Moose Bar & Grill (http://www.thewobblymoose.com/) - Au Sable Forks

Tip a Canoe in Keene has reopened, mostly as a burger joint with dinners.

Ausable Inn still my most frequented place.

TCD
02-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Yes, the Carib Cowboy is great! Just a little pricey; but their signature drink the "Painkiller" is worth it! For less expensive Mexican, there's a good place in the Price Chopper plaza. Name escapes me...

Thanks for the news on the Tip. I went by there last night but didn't notice that it had opened. I'll have to check it out.

Yes also to the Blarney Stone. THE absolute best tasting Captain and Diet, chicken fingers and onion rings ever created were the ones we had there after coming out the woods after 3 1/2 fairly fast paced days on the NP from Piseco. We got out of the woods from Tirrell Pond at about 1:00 PM, went to town for resupply and a restaurant meal, and then hiked back in and stayed at Catlin Bay (#2, right on the water) that night. Great day!

TCD

peak_bgr
02-19-2007, 08:27 PM
Baxter Mountain Tavern on Rte 9N (Baxter Mountain Burger)

Down Hill Grill in Lake Placid (fish and chips, chicken fire crackers)

Saranac Sourdough-deli in Lake Placid (killer sandwiches and soups)

Bub's II in Keene (Pizza, wings)

Noonmark (pie)

peak_bgr
02-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Just saw the suggestion for mexican

try desporados in Lake Placid near the gas station.

Ed- I also second the Blarneystone in Long Lake-have many a dinners there after hiking in Indian Lake area.

Guinness
02-20-2007, 05:35 AM
Time for just a little "negative" press. It had to happen some time in this thread. I visited Desperados many times over the years and I do enjoy their food. After a day hike of the Sewards in March 2005, we stopped there and had a great meal.

I paid the group bill which was around $90 and left a $15 tip on my credit card and signed the slip for $105. Two months later, I saw a $15 charge on my card from them. I asked what it was and they claimed they did not charge the original $15 from the bill. I even showed them the original signed slip and they refused to refund the $15. They did not care - arrogance!

The food is good, but I would not trust them use only cash!

KevCon223
02-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Just saw the suggestion for mexican

try desporados in Lake Placid near the gas station.

Yes, a good Mexican spot. One of My favorites is the Lake Placid HoJo's, one of the only originals left in the country. Inexpensive, and some good eating!!

Raymond
02-27-2007, 02:07 AM
What on earth happened to the Black Bear?

When in the vicinity of Lake Placid, we eat supper at Cameron's, but breakfast at the Black Bear.

bubba
03-01-2007, 11:13 PM
What the heck... I'm up there enough. Third the Baxter Mtn. and second Cedar Run in Keene for b-fast. Great coffee. Our group really likes the Cottage for light fare and cocktails as well as beers at the Brewery (haven't tasted the food but here positive reports).

Down Hill is great and, stepping it up, Pete's Steakhouse (maybe not after a hike, though).

Tale-o-the-Pup for sure!! Fun place.

Long Lake: the Diner is great for b-fast and lunch and second/third the Blarney

Great to know about Carrib Cowboy!! And, is any trip up there complete without whatever ice cream special is happening at Stewart's??

daxs
03-02-2007, 06:21 AM
I had a miserable meal at Tail O the Pup. It was stone cold and dry like it had been cooked the days before and sat around. For a long time. Left most of it on the plate. I wouldn't go back there.

Jay H
03-02-2007, 06:38 AM
What?? nobody cooks up a Mountain House Lasagna at the HPIC anymore??? We all turned into gourmets I guess... sheesh! :D

Jay

p.S. the $1 ice cream cones at the Stewarts in Keene are great!

Rob S
03-02-2007, 11:40 AM
I had a miserable meal at Tail O the Pup. It was stone cold and dry like it had been cooked the days before and sat around. For a long time. Left most of it on the plate. I wouldn't go back there.

Carol, I am very surprised to hear that. We eat there at least once a year, and always enjoy the place. Their pulled-pork and BBQ ribs are great. Granted, not as good as a true southern BBQ, but pretty good nonetheless. You must have there when they were training the new blind chef! :eek:

Another favorite is the Downhill Grill.

NumNum
03-02-2007, 03:41 PM
I even showed them the original signed slip and they refused to refund the $15. They did not care - arrogance!

The food is good, but I would not trust them use only cash!

Good too know. I had a bad experience at Down hill grill in LP, the food was great, but the waitress was greedy, we gave a 20% tip and she wasnt happy with it, i know it is not a reflextion on the premise, but attitude is everything.

I have eaten at the Noonmark after a few hikes, awsome food, awsome service, any weight loss during hike was averted! Don't worry mates i had it covered! :rolleyes:

I do look forward to trying tail o the pup, will have to do that on a bike ride!

tgoodwin
03-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Happened to see this thread and have to add Simply Gourmet in Lake Placid. Located on Saranac Ave. next to Avalanche Adventures (near the Price Chopper) one owner is Mickey Healy, 46-R #164 and the place features 46 different sandwiches ranging from the $4 Cascade (what else would you have eaten on your first 46) to several at $7.50. The Couchsachraga is a design your own offering starting at $6. Not open for dinner so this doesn't qualify as a post-hike place, but it seems some other places mentioned were also breakfast/lunch operations.

Bob
03-05-2007, 02:37 PM
for a steamed dog and banana split...

--M.
10-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Hey, New Yorkers,

What time does your favorite diner open in Keene/LP? We're doing Marcy on Saturday and would like someone else to make breakfast... EARLY.

BTW, The Loj is offering NO FOOD service this weekend, as it is "work week" or some such. This is hearsay, but I heard it from a staffer on their reservations line and so am making different plans.

And dinner afterwards seems to center on either Down the Hill Grill, Lake Placid Pub and Brewery, or Baxter Mountain Tavern. Do I have that right? And, of course, they'll need a tv, as the Red Sox will be working out their World Series aspirations that evening.

Please advise! and thanks...

TCD
10-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Noonmark in Keene Valley, 6:00 AM.

(Too bad there's no place like Blueberry Hill in Las Vegas. Full Diner menu, 24 hours. Makes for great early starts in Red Rocks.)

mtnbound
10-25-2007, 09:53 AM
My BIASED opinion is for my friend's place, Anywhere's, in Chestertown. Good food and good beers. It's easy to get to after approaching/leaving the Peaks from the south.

WhiteMTHike
10-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Lake Placid Pub and Brewery on Mirror Lake rd. Gotta have an UBU!:cool:

DITTO!

Excellent chicken parm. there as well.

timmus
10-25-2007, 10:45 AM
One word : Stewart's.

Chocolate milk and heated cheeseburgers (I remember having two back-to-back after the Miami River Adventure), Hot-dogs with chili (good value), various kind of potato chips, add a Red Bull and a coffee and I was all set for the long drive home.

I think it's a luxury to stop for a meal at the restaurant after a hike, I only did it few times, and only because my hiking-car partners wanted to go. It's always too late anyway.

And Stewart's great, they are all over NY, you can always count on it :)

--M.
10-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the responses. We ate at the Down Hill Grill, which was a solid base-hit, if not extraordinary, and the Noon-Mark Diner, which was pretty much everything you want in a diner.

We were staying over for the weekend at the Loj lean-tos and needed some dry atmosphere after Saturday's drenching (pounding!) rain before heading back to the camp. We hit the diner on the way out Sunday morning. Good home-made bread!

Neil
10-29-2007, 11:04 AM
One word : Stewart's.

I think it's a luxury to stop for a meal at the restaurant after a hike, I only did it few times, and only because my hiking-car partners wanted to go. It's always too late anyway.

And Stewart's great, they are all over NY, you can always count on it :)
Well, I sure agree that Stewarts is not luxury. < temporary edit while Neil comes up with a different set of descriptives for the cleanliness, food and coffee ;) >. The neglected cleanliness, dishwater coffee and summercamp quality food play nasty tricks on my alimentary canal.Their Coke is all right though. :D

Whenever I hike I'm sleep deprived from the early start and usually pretty tired from the hike itself. It's almost always dark when I get out and then I drive home for 2 hours, usually alone. I have learned the hard that to sit and eat a high fat, high protein meal and drink a beer or 2 is a perfect recipe for highway narcolepsy. So now that I stick to coffee, diet coke and a light snack while I drive I only fall asleep at the wheel once or twice.

--M.
10-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Whenever I hike I'm sleep deprived from the early start and usually pretty tired from the hike itself. It's almost always dark when I get out and then I drive home for 2 hours, usually alone. I have learned the hard that to sit and eat a high fat, high protein meal and drink a beer or 2 is a perfect recipe for highway narcolepsy. So now that I stick to coffee, diet coke and a light snack while I drive I only fall asleep at the wheel once or twice.
Wow, you got that right. Add a few weeks of having to stay up for those pesky Red Sox and DANG we were tired. Which is why we stayed at the camp that night. And having to use available winter daylight means those diners have to be open EARLY! We were pretty pleased with the NoonMark.

DougPaul
10-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Whenever I hike I'm sleep deprived from the early start and usually pretty tired from the hike itself. It's almost always dark when I get out and then I drive home for 2 hours, usually alone. I have learned the hard that to sit and eat a high fat, high protein meal and drink a beer or 2 is a perfect recipe for highway narcolepsy.
Dinner (no beer!*) generally wakes me up. I just make sure there are adequate carbs in the food (quick energy). Sometimes I just bring an extra sandwich--that plus some trail food (I always have some extra in the car) gets me home. (3hrs from the Whites for me.)

* alcohol is a central nervous system depressant...

Doug

Viewseeker
10-30-2007, 06:21 AM
the hot fish at the UBU is a great after hike meal with a cold chaser :D havent tryed the over the hill place yet.

Neil
10-30-2007, 04:17 PM
* alcohol is a central nervous system depressant...

Doug
Oh, so nowwwww he tells me. That changes everything.
:D

Doug, if you can chow down at the LP pub and brewery after a hike and abstain from enjoying one of their micro brewed pints then you are a better man than me.

I'll just climb into my car and munch on a tofu and steamed celery sandwich while sipping a non-Stewarts coffee.

Peakbagr
10-30-2007, 04:42 PM
"The neglected cleanliness, dishwater coffee and summercamp quality food play nasty tricks on my alimentary canal."

...alimentary,my dear Watson

Neil
10-30-2007, 05:24 PM
...alimentary,my dear Watson
All I can say is,

don't give up your day job.

DougPaul
10-30-2007, 06:20 PM
re: drinking CNS depressants...

Oh, so nowwwww he tells me. That changes everything.
:D
Aww come on, you already knew that.

Some how, consuming a CNS depressant before a long, tiring drive doesn't seem like a wise move.

Doug, if you can chow down at the LP pub and brewery after a hike and abstain from enjoying one of their micro brewed pints then you are a better man than me.
Easy. Beer is ok, but I'm not addicted*. (Yes, I know, such an admission may get me kicked off the web site. :) ) How good is their food?

Then there was the time I got back to the car at 2:30am after 17.5 hours of solo backcountry skiing... The last hour of the drive home (into Boston rush hour) was a bit difficult. (I now carry caffeine pills to help in case of any repeat performances.)

* Fortunately the beer that I drank in Munich isn't available here...

Doug