PDA

View Full Version : Lean-tos and Locations between the Garden and JBL

Silverback
09-21-2004, 02:09 PM
Headin out Thursday late to climb Basin and Saddleback on Friday. Given the late hour of our arrival, I was hoping to find a lean-to about three miles in before JBL. On another site, the "Howard Memorial Lean-to" was mentioned. Because it will likely be dark when I arrive, I'm trying to get the most precise bearing that I can on that facility before I head out. Is it before or after the trail register that is near the Big Slide trail from JBL, for example?

Thanks for your help.

rdl
09-21-2004, 02:56 PM
Two lean-to's immediately on the trail between the Garden and JBL. One at .9 miles right after a small stream, the other(I believe) at 1.9 miles from the Garden. Nothing else between the second lean-to and the Interior Outpost. There are designated campsites between the Interior Outpost and JBL. There are also lean-to's to rent from ADK on the opposite shore of John's Brook after the Interior Outpost.

1ADAM12
09-21-2004, 02:57 PM
Mike,

I am looking at my topo map now and I see 2 lean-to's before JBL. One of them which is approximately 1 mile on the left hand side of the trail. Then there is one more about another mile on the right. I have the old version of the map so I am not sure if those lean-to's are still there or not. I need to get the updated version of the topo map:)

I know for a fact that one of them is still there! Just not sure which one I saw...sorry I hope this helps a little ;)

To funny looks like RDL and I typed this at the same time...he beat me to it. I guess my topo is not to outdated after all :D

ADAM

Hakuna Matata
09-21-2004, 03:23 PM
We hiked Saddleback and Basin in June using the Phelps trail on the right. Bear Brook lean-to is 0.9 miles from the Garden parking. it is on the left side of the trail but it is almost on the trail. Can't miss it Deer Brook lean-to is is on the right at 1.3 miles. It is also very close to the trail. We came back late on Friday night with headlamps and if anyone was in those lean-tos they wouldn't have gotten much sleep with the traffic we met going in.
There is also a lean-to 1.2 miles past JBL on the Ore-bed trail. This lean-to sits a little more off the trail if you plan on doing Saddleback and then Basin. Going down the side of Saddleback is a lot more thrilling than going up! :)

Grumpy
09-21-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Silverback
. . . "Howard Memorial Lean-to" was mentioned. Because it will likely be dark when I arrive, I'm trying to get the most precise bearing that I can on that facility before I head out. Is it before or after the trail register that is near the Big Slide trail from JBL, for example?
Howard Memorial leanto is, if I recall correctly, a bit beyond the Ranger outpost and trail register as you head toward JBL, and before you reach the Slide Mt. Brook trail. Nice spot, right on John's Brook.

G.

percious
09-21-2004, 04:24 PM
I concur with Grumpy. We have hiked into this leanto a few times at night. It is an easy hike, 45 mins -> 1 hour at night. It is just after the trail register about 1/10 of a mile on the left. If you hit the big stream crossing, you have gone too far.

-percious

Silverback
09-21-2004, 04:40 PM
Thanks for all your help!