PDA

View Full Version : What do you prefer...Zealand Road or Spruce Goose?

skiguy
11-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Tell me about your X-country ski experiences and prefrences going up to and out of Zealand Valley. Would you rather ski the Road or do you Ski the Spruce Goose Trail?

DougPaul
11-22-2010, 03:16 PM
I've always skied the road. (Never tried Spruce Goose.)

Doug

MichaelJ
11-22-2010, 05:09 PM
I haven't skied the Goose, but my understanding from people who've taken it while I skied the road is that it's challenging: not a good choice if your plan is pulling a sled to Zealand Hut or into the Pemi, but enjoyable if you're looking for a nice and somewhat difficult ski through the woods.

Becca M
11-22-2010, 07:06 PM
I *TRIED* to ski the spruce goose not last year but the year before - got lost in the logging areas..... LOTS of hills...:D Got lost in the camp grounds. Ended up finally bailing onto Zealand Road. No harm in giving it a shot - there are places to cut back to the road. Now, above the Zealand TH - the ski trail needs LOTS of snow to be better than the hiking trail to the hut.

MichaelJ
11-22-2010, 08:16 PM
Ah, yes, very good point, Becca. For those not in the know, the ski trail basically goes straight (slightly left) where the Zealand Trail turns to the right and begins a rough and rocky section. This is actually a diversion around a very wet, swampy area - the ski trail is, I believe, following the old logging route. You need a good deal of snow in there to cover the obstacles, and you also need quite a good bit of cold to freeze it up, too. I seem to remember SherpaK being a big fan of that section of trail. Plus, that diversion area isn't really skiable and is very difficult to get a sled through.