PDA

View Full Version : WMNF Schedule of Proposed Actions

cooperhill
01-05-2011, 11:11 AM
I found this list/status of current proposed forest service actions in the White Mountain National Forest. Interested by the listings on decommissioning sections of Saco Ranger District trails and the relocation of the McCrillis Path.

http://www.fs.fed.us/sopa/components/reports/sopa-110922-2011-01.html

MichaelJ
01-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Other interesting projects:

Bring electric power into Zealand Road to install electric hook-ups at Zealand Campground, electric hookups for host sites at Sugarloaf I and II Camgrounds, and replace solar power system used to supply water at Sugarloaf I Campground.

The Pemi NW Vegetation Management project says "This project proposes vegetation management and improvements to wildlife habitat, recreation and watershed resources" but there is no document to back it up with any details about what those actions are.

Relocation and redesign of all of the campsites along Tripoli Road to sites along adjacent spur roads to mitigate safety and resource concerns. Removal of hazard trees along Tripoli Road and spur roads to address safety concerns.

Two locations on the lower third of Blueberry Ledge Trail are to be relocated because they concentrate water and are causing soil erosion. Rehabilitation of the unneeded section of trail would occur.

The McCrillis relocation has been discussed here before, I think.

Resolution Shelter, accessible from the Mt Parker Trail and Davis Path, is closed due to its deteriorated condition. The proposal is to dismantle the shelter, remove non-organic components, rehab the site and trail, and provide an alternate tentsite.

And the disturbing one, since I've been on some of these trails:
Decommission sections of up to seven trails that are impractical to maintain or duplicate access (Bog, Wildcat and Rob Brook, East Branch, Gleason,White Ledge and Church Pond). Would be accomplished with trail sign removal and concealing entrances.

erugs
01-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Other interesting projects:

And the disturbing one, since I've been on some of these trails:
Decommission sections of up to seven trails that are impractical to maintain or duplicate access (Bog, Wildcat and Rob Brook, East Branch, Gleason,White Ledge and Church Pond). Would be accomplished with trail sign removal and concealing entrances.

With regard to White Ledge, I'm guessing that only the section that leaves from Rte. 16 north of the campground will be closed and that the loop trail that heads out from the campground will remain open. If so, there is still only a limited amount of day-use parking. Overall, I don't like to see trails eliminated from our access but do appreciate when necessary re-routing takes place. I'd love to see some rerouting of the middle section of the trail up S. Moat to improve footing, and of course the northern section of the Kinsman Ridge Trail.

Will
01-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Other interesting projects: ... Pemi NW Vegetation Management project ...Planting Poison Ivy on the new path between the Bondcliff and Thoreau Falls trails?

cooperhill
01-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Planting Poison Ivy on the new path between the Bondcliff and Thoreau Falls trails?

Not clear that this project refers to wilderness area. Most likely cutting/thinning or prescribed burning.

I believe Rob Brook and Church Pond trails suffer from flooding problems.

erugs
01-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Planting Poison Ivy on the new path between the Bondcliff and Thoreau Falls trails?

Don't you think "our" Poison Ivy would object to being planted?

psmart
01-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Interested by the listings on decommissioning sections of Saco Ranger District trails and the relocation of the McCrillis Path.

A decision on the McCrillis Path relocation (not the McCrillis Trail) has just been released:
http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/project_content.php?project=24573

Dr. Dasypodidae
01-05-2011, 04:55 PM
USFS also will have the opportunity to upgrade the woefully out-of-date sign loaded with geological misinformation at Glen Ellis Falls. :)

poison ivy
01-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Don't you think "our" Poison Ivy would object to being planted?

Well, at least it's a nice location.... :p

RoySwkr
01-06-2011, 11:25 AM
An adjoining landowner has expressed a desire to provide public access
to the Path on an alternate route across his property, and is willing to grant a permanent
easement. In fact, the landowner purchased the property in large part to help resolve the
trail access issue.

I'll bet PS could identify this generous individual

But why not just extend McCrillis all the way to the other McCrillis if you will have to park at that lot anyway?

RoySwkr
01-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Want to see actual sections proposed for removal, won't help me much with trail bagging as I've already done all but one.

That part of East Branch Trail parallel to the road is a likely candidate to go, seems that there was a report here that it's no longer maintained and impossible to find.

erugs
01-06-2011, 11:42 AM
I'll bet PS could identify this generous individual

But why not just extend McCrillis all the way to the other McCrillis if you will have to park at that lot anyway?

That's what I was wondering, yet though it was thought of the report says they didn't consider it seriously. Perhaps because the section would be longer? Not connect with the historic section?

MadRiver
01-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Relocation and redesign of all of the campsites along Tripoli Road to sites along adjacent spur roads to mitigate safety and resource concerns. Removal of hazard trees along Tripoli Road and spur roads to address safety concerns.

Thank God, Tripoli definitely needs some restructuring.

WhiteMTHike
01-06-2011, 01:10 PM
USFS also will have the opportunity to upgrade the woefully out-of-date sign loaded with geological misinformation at Glen Ellis Falls. :)

I like the sounds of the Glen Ellis Falls project.

psmart
01-06-2011, 03:10 PM

That's what I was wondering, yet though it was thought of the report says they didn't consider it seriously. Perhaps because the section would be longer? Not connect with the historic section?

Connecting the two trails would have involved a significant stream crossing and some steep terrain, resulting in much more impact than the 1/2 mile connector the FS has decided to build.

cooperhill
02-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Here are details on the Saco trails decommissioning. Had to dig around to find this information. Comments due March 13, 2011.

News release: http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/news/2011/newsrel_20110211_scoping_saco_trails.pdf

Project details:

http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/project_content.php?project=34520

erugs
02-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Chris - I'm not sure what this means:

"Saco District Trail Decommisioning Project
Decommission sections of up to seven trails that are impractical to maintain or duplicate access (Bog, Wildcat and Rob Brook, East Branch, Gleason,White Ledge and Church Pond). Would be accomplished with trail sign removal and concealing entrances."

Specifically, the mention of White Ledge worries me. The campground road is unplowed. When I asked about winter access at the Saco ranger's information office, the answer was "Not many people use that trail, even in summer. Don't block the campground entry." Do you think they are just considering removing the half mile section that comes in from Rte. 16 just north of the campground?

MichaelJ
02-15-2011, 11:45 AM
The PDF maps on the linked project page show exactly what's being proposed.

The Wildcat River / Bog Brook reroute looks like extra mileage to walk, but that's the recommended high water approach anyway, if I recall my WMG correctly (it's 150 miles away at the moment). The East Branch decommissioning also seems like a minor issue, just having a parking area further up the road become the trailhead.

The map shows that the White Ledge decommissioning is just the short segment that comes in north of the campground.

Seems like Gleason would be a loss, but is that Algonquin just alongside it, parallel and not too far away?

erugs
02-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Seems like Gleason would be a loss, but is that Algonquin just alongside it, parallel and not too far away?

Isn't that the Bennett Street Trail? Algonquin is off Sandwhich Notch Road and is a beautiful trail.

RoySwkr
02-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Do you think they are just considering removing the half mile section that comes in from Rte. 16 just north of the campground?
Yes

If you follow the link he provided (not available from the SOPA for some reason) what they plan to do is:
Close lower part of Bog Brk and Wildcat River Trails, you are expected to walk in FR233 as mentioned in WMG
Close lower half of East Branch Trail that parallels road
Close E part of Church Pd Loop
Close that part of Rob Brk Trail not used by Nanomocomock
Close Rte.16 link to White Ledge Trail
Close Gleason Trail above Flat Mtn Pd Trail - I'll let PS comment on why this is a good idea

cooperhill
02-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Dropping back one level. Here is a link to all the current NEPA projects in the WMNF. It's how I found the Saco project. Lots of interesting stuff.

http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/nepa_projects.php?forest=110922

cooperhill
05-09-2011, 10:40 AM
New WMNF schedule of proposed actions for April 2011 to June 2011.

http://www.fs.fed.us/sopa/components/reports/sopa-110922-2011-04.html

MichaelJ
05-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Oooh, here's a new listing: "The Garfield Shelter is in poor condition and needs replacement. We propose to replace it with a similar Adirondack-style shelter on the existing footprint."

Dr. Dasypodidae
05-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Oooh, here's a new listing: "The Garfield Shelter is in poor condition and needs replacement. We propose to replace it with a similar Adirondack-style shelter on the existing footprint."

Perhaps Kori Marchowsky can get the Pemi suspension bridge rebulit also?

cooperhill
11-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Decision made on Saco Trails Decommissioning. 5 of 7 trails will be decommissioned (aka abandoned). The only one I don't agree with is Gleason.

http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/nepa_project_exp.php?project=34520

(memo is last link on webpage above).

Current schedule of proposed actions:

http://www.fs.fed.us/sopa/components/reports/sopa-110922-2011-10.html

MichaelJ
11-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Nice to see the decision to NOT decommission the Bog Brook or Wildcat River trail sections.

I see the Waterville Valley ski area wants two new connector trails on Mt Tecumseh, and are also proposing:

Construct ski trails, a glade area, a lift, and snowmaking equipment and relocate one building on Green Peak. All activities are within the Special Use Permit boundary and the ski area's accepted Master Development Plan.

forestgnome
11-29-2011, 06:19 PM
The Resolution Shelter is scheduled for "removal", as opposed to just destroying and leaving the corpse in a nasty pile of trash as was done to our shelter in Perkins Notch. It specifically states "removal of non-organic" parts. Does this mean they will leave a similar pile of debris? Wood is organic.

Will they bring the "non-organic componants", such as toilet seats and pvc plumbing pipes, to the edge of wilderness and leave it in a pile right there, as they did with the Perkin's Notch shelter?

Becca M
11-29-2011, 07:20 PM
The Resolution Shelter is scheduled for "removal", as opposed to just destroying and leaving the corpse in a nasty pile of trash as was done to our shelter in Perkins Notch. It specifically states "removal of non-organic" parts. Does this mean they will leave a similar pile of debris? Wood is organic.

Will they bring the "non-organic componants", such as toilet seats and pvc plumbing pipes, to the edge of wilderness and leave it in a pile right there, as they did with the Perkin's Notch shelter?

I am guessing "removal" is a generic term referring to destruction. "Removal of non-organic parts" probably means removal from forming a usable structure. My money is on the money running out before *actual* "removal" can ever take place..... just my 2 cents - don't rip me apart!!!!/"remove" my guts anybody for saying it!!!! :eek:

Based on all the other structures "removed" from Wilderness in recent history, it would be a safe bet to look for the remnants, as you said, at the edge of the Wilderness boundary.

RoySwkr
11-29-2011, 07:59 PM
It specifically states "removal of non-organic" parts. Does this mean they will leave a similar pile of debris? Wood is organic.

I climbed Stinson Mtn when a contractor was dismantling the fire tower, they were taking a break and let me climb the last remaining stairs. When I came down they unbolted it.

I thought he would burn the wood and haul out the metal by snowmobile, but he said the contract called for removal within XX days and his bid was large enough to include a helicopter to comply.

If the FS truly wants the stuff gone, they just have to indicate that in the bid process and it will happen. Of course that may result in higher bids, hence repair may be more economical :-)

MichaelJ
01-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Here are two new listings that may be of interest:

19 Mile Brook Trail Reroute (http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/nepa_project_exp.php?project=37961)
(expected implementation 5/12)
Bridge was destroyed by Tropical Storm Irene. Propose to move crossing 500' upstream to better location, install stepping stones to get across brook, install rock staircase to an old road prism to tie back into trail, and install drainage as needed.

East Side Road Repairs (no link available)
(expected implementation 6/12)
Repair damage from Tropical Storm Irene including realigning and replacing a culvert, short (~100') reroute away from a slump currently impacting the road, and replacing a culvert that washed down stream with a bridge.

Becca M
01-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Here are two new listings that may be of interest:
East Side Road Repairs (no link available)
(expected implementation 6/12)
Repair damage from Tropical Storm Irene including realigning and replacing a culvert, short (~100') reroute away from a slump currently impacting the road, and replacing a culvert that washed down stream with a bridge.

Thanks for that update!!!! I was hoping for that!!!! YAY!!!!

J&J
01-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Here's a picture of the bridge that got washed out on the 19 Mile Brook trail.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-qqj6iJ5aawQ/TwZLLe1EehI/AAAAAAAAE_A/FGUSI5PBDpQ/s800/P1010462.JPG

Here's the huge culvert that got washed out on the East Side trail. Just incredible the power of water.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7AcjYxSz_0M/TwZLO8z2OvI/AAAAAAAAE_E/9PtR3ZxalkA/s800/IMG_0006.JPG

cooperhill
06-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Not terribly current but the latest SOPA (schedule of proposed actions) has some new items, many Irene related. Will look out for the July update.

http://www.fs.fed.us/sopa/components/reports/sopa-110922-2012-04.html

cooperhill
08-09-2012, 10:32 AM
New Schedule for July to September.

http://www.fs.fed.us/sopa/components/reports/sopa-110922-2012-07.html

MichaelJ
08-09-2012, 07:17 PM
I like the Greeley Ponds work.
The 19-Mile Brook Trail relocation was cancelled - what's the crossing like where the bridge was washed out?

sdways01
08-10-2012, 08:41 AM
I like the Greeley Ponds work.
The 19-Mile Brook Trail relocation was cancelled - what's the crossing like where the bridge was washed out?

When I hiked in June, the first half of the bridge is there and planks were across the rocks for the second half.

Picture (http://sdways01.smugmug.com/48NH4Ks/Carters/i-pZLbVnr/0/L/Carters9725-L.jpg)

MichaelJ
08-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks. As it stands that looks like definitely a bridge-worthy crossing. I hope they'll fix it up or even replace the bridge instead of the cancelled huge detour.

Kevin Rooney
08-10-2012, 09:55 AM

I was on that last week - part of our group used the bridge and then downclimbed onto the rocks piled in front, and the others just rock-hopped. The water is very low - am not sure how viable rock-hopping will be once flows return to normal.

erugs
08-10-2012, 10:02 AM
I agree with Kevin. We were there last Saturday and the water level was low -- looks like the channel has been re-arranged, too. One of us crossed above the bridge, the other two of us crossed below. That was my first trip up that way in summer for quite a while. It was rockier than I remembered it. Winter snows certainly smooth things out. There has been a lot of good restoration work along the trail and I saw flagging on the trail to Zeta Pass.