PDA

View Full Version : Skiing the East

benwhiteskis
01-30-2011, 07:17 AM
You may have seen my thread on T4T, but if you haven't, here's more or less what it says. I'm trying to ski all the 4000 footers in NH this year. The hardest part so far has been trying to find people to go with. Even if you don't ski, but you want to go for a hike, there are plenty of 4kers that are really bad for skiing, and you would be more than welcome to come along. Here's my facebook page for the whole thing, please "like" it if you have a facebook. If you don't, that's okay.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ski-the-4kers/127188167314536

Moderator Note - edited to remove fund raising details. Sorry Ben, but we don't allow fund raising here on VftT.

Thanks a whole bunch guys! you can PM me (not a great response time on those) or email me at benwhiteskis@gmail.com I'm always on my email, so you'll probably get a response within 3 hours of your emailing me. Thanks again.

skiguy
01-30-2011, 08:40 AM
What is your criteria when you say "SKI all the 4000 footers"? to actually say you have skied?

ColdRiverRun
01-30-2011, 09:44 AM
What is your criteria when you say "SKI all the 4000 footers"? to actually say you have skied?

That was my question when I first saw it. There is a little on the Facebook page under Discussion with "rules" but it has no conclusion.

He posted this on the T4T forum:

"Yeah, I have kind of set this up as bag all the peaks in a year, by way of skinning/ hiking up, and then skiing down to the natural snow line. I won't cheat and do Washington in june, because that's dumb. I do plan on doing the prezzies way late, like late april, because they hold snow until then."

He also wrote this for his Adam's trip:

"After summiting Adams, we put our skis on and began the descent. It was not fun. All the snow on the Valley Way trail was completely boot-packed, and it was very narrow. After a few minutes of hop turns and some sliding and using trees to stop, we decided to take off the skis and hike back down."

Cragster
01-31-2011, 10:53 AM
Sounds like a good quest. I hiked all the 4000'ers in 2009, and about a quarter of them in the winter. I try to take my backcountry skis whenever I can. I succesfully skinned up the backside of Cannon (Lonesome Lake Trail to the sag between Cannon & the Northeast Cannonball, up the ridge to the NE Cannonball, backtracked down then up to the summit of cannon. I only had to take my skis off twice b/c it was just too steep. The wet December snow offered incredible traction for my skins. Good luck to you--Garfield must have been a great ski down w/ all the nice switchbacks on the Garfield Trail. Plan to tackle Mansfield on Friday (see Trips & Events), if you are interested!

benwhiteskis
01-31-2011, 07:54 PM
Due to what the time line is looking like, I've decided that a peak is skied if I put skis on while on it and do some sort of movement down hill. According to wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn, the definition of skiing is "a sport in which participants must travel on skis"

Billy
01-31-2011, 08:40 PM
...I've decided that a peak is skied if I put skis on while on it and do some sort of movement down hill...

Well, that settles that. Your game, your rules.

And I've decided that I spent the night with Grace Park if I think about spending the night with Grace Park.

surf88
01-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Ben, I've been following your quest since you launched the concept last summer. I'm a fan of what your doing because I have skinned up and found a few turns on many of the 48. It may be that only BC skier's finds an all day excursion for a few turns worthwhile enough to fit the definition of skiing.
What Peak(s)do you have planned for this weekend?

Chip
02-01-2011, 06:56 AM
And I've decided that I spent the night with Grace Park if I think about spending the night with Grace Park.

What's the point of the negativity ? I've hiked several peaks with AT skis and mountaineering boots for the simple chance of a great few minutes on the way down. Some were worth while, some were just a good hike. The extra workout he'll get carrying the gear is worth a tip-of-the-hat, regardless.

Billy
02-01-2011, 07:15 AM
What's the point of the negativity ?...
You're right, that was a wise-ass comment. Sorry Ben.

Chip
02-01-2011, 09:19 AM
You're right, that was a wise-ass comment. Sorry Ben.

Fair enough, and if you get the chance to carry Grace Park on any night hikes, I'd allow your assertion. ;)

benwhiteskis
02-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks guys! Especially Chip. And thank you Billy for apologizing. I'm going up Moosilauke on Sunday. I've already got one guy, but they more the merrier! feel free to join me. Just email me at benwhiteskis@gmail.com You don't even have to ski. Some, if not most don't even have good skiing on them.

benwhiteskis
02-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Grace Park doesn't really do it for me. Ellen Page from Inception does though. And she skis too!

Seeker
02-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Ben, you picked a great time to do Moosilauke! Enjoy!

TEO
02-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Ben, is there a reason why you're calling your project "Skiing the East" instead of "Skiing the Whites" or "Skiing New Hampshire?" You do know that there are mountains outside of New Hampshire and, believe it or not, New England, yes?

benwhiteskis
02-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Really TEO, I had no idea. I thought that NH was the only state to have mountains in it. What are mountains anyways?

dr_wu002
02-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Really TEO, I had no idea. I thought that NH was the only state to have mountains in it. What are mountains anyways?
There are other mountains in the East but most of the xxxxxxxxxx scumbags go to the Whites...

El-Bagr did some ski-the-48 thing a few years back, might want to look there: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6216

-Dr. Wu

Seeker
02-04-2011, 12:19 PM

snicker.

Alas, the pics from T4T are no longer up.

Take pictures! :)

benwhiteskis
02-06-2011, 08:08 PM
the moose was epic. I haven't had so much fun on skis in a while

TEO
02-07-2011, 11:56 AM

Cute. At least the title of this thread isn't as preposterous as the title of your T4T thread, but still, it would be no more or less accurate for me title a project of skiing Mansfield (Chin & Nose), Camel's Hump, Ellen, Abe, & Killington in a single season "Skiing the East." Or, to ski only the 14ers in Summit County and call it skiing the Colorado 14ers.

Your project has the potential to be interesting, if you try to ski an interesting line on each of the 48 summits, whether it is a chute, a slide, or a glade. I would urge you to use hiking trails as little as possible on the descent, both for the safety of hikers and to make your experience more imaginative.

skiguy
02-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Cute. At least the title of this thread isn't as preposterous as the title of your T4T thread, but still, it would be no more or less accurate for me title a project of skiing Mansfield (Chin & Nose), Camel's Hump, Ellen, Abe, & Killington in a single season "Skiing the East." Or, to ski only the 14ers in Summit County and call it skiing the Colorado 14ers.

Your project has the potential to be interesting, if you try to ski an interesting line on each of the 48 summits, whether it is a chute, a slide, or a glade. I would urge you to use hiking trails as little as possible on the descent, both for the safety of hikers and to make your experience more imaginative.

Ok lets not nit pic here. I'll be glad to take some of the responsibilty for setting off this tone with the secound post in this thread although that was not my intent. My post was out of interest only because I could give a rat's arse how Ben executes this Quest because it is his Quest only. The important thing is that he has fun doing it because that's what skiing is FUN! So I say go for it Ben any which way you want! Glad you enjoyed the Moose...

ferrisjrf
02-07-2011, 12:51 PM
The important thing is that he has fun doing it because that's what skiing is FUN! So I say go for it Ben any which way you want!

Without TEO's approval, any undertaking invlolving skiing or hiking should be considered meaningless at best.

FARMER
02-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Without TEO's approval, any undertaking invlolving skiing or hiking should be considered meaningless at best.

Agreed! I move to nominate TEO as the all knower of hiking skiiing and drytooling in the Whites and greater northeast area! Does anyone second this motion?

ApologY for the thread deraileur BenWhiteSkis, I'll be quiet now :D

TEO
02-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Agreed! I move to nominate TEO as the all knower of hiking skiiing and drytooling in the Whites and greater northeast area! Does anyone second this motion?

Seconded!

I was only disappointed that Jason limited it to hiking and skiing. I'm glad you added drytooling, but still wonder why the scope has to be so limited.

skiguy
02-07-2011, 02:23 PM
I'll third it..and remember no salting wether it''s hiking or skiing.:D

benwhiteskis
02-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Hiking trails are not fun to ski on. Of course I'm looking for interesting ways to descend, whether it be a chute, glade, slide, etc. The way I executed Adams was very poor, because some of these (Isolations, Owl's Head, etc) will have to be done on hiking trail, which is not fun at all. This is a very interesting thread to watch.

DougPaul
02-08-2011, 10:12 PM
because some of these (Isolations, Owl's Head, etc) will have to be done on hiking trail, which is not fun at all.
Somewhere around 1980, a friend and I skied Owls Head via the NNE ridge. We followed the Lincoln Brook trail past the base of the slide and turned onto the ridge a bit S of the height-of-land. All done on wooden XC BC skis with lignostone edges (Bonna 2000) and no skins. No hikers were harmed on the descent...* :)

The ridge was reasonably open (with patches of spruce)--don't know how open it is now.

* Actually, I don't recall passing any hikers. However the trail part of the route is gentle enough that in most places you should be able to pass hikers without too much difficulty.

Doug

surf88
02-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Carrigain?
http://www.techsourceconsultants.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10044/normal_carrigain_002.jpg
http://www.techsourceconsultants.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10044/topobcski.jpg
I've been curious to come back in the winter to see if this slope on Signal Ridge near Carrigains summit would be good for a few turns. Anybody have any beta on the coverage this gets in the winter? (Wind Scoured?)
Long approach with the road closed, But Might be some thing worth checking out with you Ben?
It would be nice to be able to exit through the notch but I wouldnt plan on it.

bikehikeskifish
02-09-2011, 09:22 AM
http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/41952/2520315530097994563S500x500Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2520315530097994563ZUvNXe)
From the summit tower

http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/47411/2153980220097994563S500x500Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2153980220097994563fIcRSf)
Up close

http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/13389/2501119350097994563S500x500Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2501119350097994563OpDhDT)
There is also this snowfield on the shoulder just north of the summit. You may be able to work your way towards the Desolation Trail and back up to do a few runs. Coming over this area from Vose Spur I can tell you that it is pretty thick between this shoulder and the summit tower.

Mid-March, lots of snow, but not completely covered.

Tim

surf88
02-09-2011, 01:37 PM
BHSF, Those shots were taken mid march last year?

bikehikeskifish
02-09-2011, 08:05 PM
BHSF, Those shots were taken mid march last year?

3/10/2010

Tim

benwhiteskis
02-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Who is around for any of next week? Email me at benwhiteskis@gmail.com and let's get something together

benwhiteskis
02-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Just checking in. Shoot me an email if you want to do some hiking and/ or skiing

el-bagr
02-22-2011, 12:55 PM
So Ben, how's the skiing going?

For what it's worth, I skied nearly exclusively on hiking trails. Especially in the boreal zone, for most of the NH48, there often aren't viable alternatives to hiking trails. Skiing a stone staircase might be ugly, but it beats bushwhacking on skis through krummholtz at 200' per hour (or less). There are obvious exceptions (think of the famous routes on a selected few mountains), but if you're going to ski all 48, using hiking trails will facilitate your success. (In fact, for a number of the "great routes" down slides, continuing down-mountain off trail may be harder than figuring a way to get back on trail for your exit.)

T

benwhiteskis
02-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks el-bagr. I've had an epic week, but a little less productive than I thought it would be. I was invited by Scott to finish his NE 67 on the Wildcats, so I got A, and I officially got D, because when I originally thought I got D, I actually didn't. Then some time passed, and I went up and nailed Tom, Field and Willey with Jen on Thursday. Saturday was an epic day on Hale with Alan. I will be uploading videos soon, and will post the youtube and facebook links here. Six peaks in a week, bringing my total to 11

Tecumseh
Cannon
Garfield
Adams
Moosilauke
Wildcat A
Wildcat D
Tom
Field
Willey
Hale

mirabela
02-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Waumbek should be easy enough about now. The skiing above about 3,000' where the trail starts the big sidehill traverse is just standard survival trail skiing (it might help to ride skins here to keep speed in control, not much room to maneuver at all) but below that it's a wide open hardwood forest with great cover and lots of room for turns. I was up there on Thursday and there were tracks from several recent skiers across this broad, sunny ridge. The new snow will only have improved things.

benwhiteskis
03-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks Mirabela, I might get that this coming weekend. This weekend, got five more done this weekend. Trypiramids (skied the north slide, it was icy and fun) and the Carters (Imp trail is fun too on the way down). I know I haven't put together the vids from the last conquests, but they will be up eventually, I promise

benwhiteskis
03-18-2011, 08:18 AM
Here are all the vids, I finally put them up on youtube instead of just on facebook (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=benwhiteskis&aq=f&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1)

Seeker
03-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Just had time to watch Wildcat D, but nice job with the video!

Becca M
03-18-2011, 04:24 PM
watched a couple, but, sound was disabled... still pretty cool to see!!!

benwhiteskis
03-21-2011, 05:15 AM
stupid youtube. go to the facebook page for the sound
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ski-the-4kers/127188167314536

benwhiteskis
04-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Hi everybody, I've been skiing up a storm! I'm at 32 now, and should be at 37 at the end of this weekend. Who has weekdays off?

TDawg
04-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Judging from your post on t4t, I believe I bumped into you guys on the Jefferson summit the 31st. I trust that your traverse went well and it was nice chatting for those few moments.

What a day, huh!?!? I followed your tracks on and off all the way over to Madison. Smiling all the way.

el-bagr
04-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Keep up the good work...

benwhiteskis
05-04-2011, 05:59 AM
I should have let you guys know earlier, but I finished April 24th.

benwhiteskis
05-04-2011, 06:10 AM
Also, for those of you who don't have a facebook for whatever reason, I made one just for viewing pleasure.

email: skithe4kers@gmail.com
password: washington6288

after log in, go to the search bar that's the the right of "facebook" but to the left of "Home Profile Account" and search "Ski the 4kers" it should pop right up, and you should be able to watch the videos, with sound, right there

Dr. Dasypodidae
05-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Well done, Ben! I particularly liked the 8+ minute vid and music (Charles Mingus "Moanin") for your Presi traverse. Thanks for making these vids available for us non-Facebook types. :)

benwhiteskis
08-02-2011, 11:48 PM
The 48 will be featured in the October issue of Backcountry Magazine. Thank you all for your support. The naysaying just made me want to do it even more. Thank you for letting me be a part of this forum as well, and also for posting about broken out trails and other conditions. All your help was very much appreciated

benwhiteskis
09-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Here is my season recap video.

http://vimeo.com/24309987

Billy
09-24-2011, 10:02 AM
that is one kick-ass video

MichaelJ
09-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Awesome video! Hale had me drooling, Jackson had me cringing. :)

deanmacg
09-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Your doing it right lad

dug
09-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Fantastic!!

mirabela
09-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Awesome! I didn't realize you'd gotten them all. Some of the skiing looks pretty sketchy, but I guess you know that by now! I'll admit, I had my doubts.

Thanks for sharing the video. Who's the band? That's some fun music ...

RollingRock
09-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Excellent job! I loved it! The clips captured the spirit and fun of the adventure. The music selection was perfect.

Seeker
09-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Fun to see the viddy again Ben. :) Looking forward to seeing the Oct. issue of Backcountry!

benwhiteskis
09-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks for all your support. The song is The Wine Song by The Cat Empire. It actually fit exactly how my season went, with where it picked up and slowed down, etc. October issue is out! Page 62!