PDA

View Full Version : Where (in BSP) will you be this winter?

Tramper Al
11-04-2004, 10:10 AM
So, the opening day for winter reservations at Baxter State Park has passed.

I am curious what sort of cool trips to the park people have planned for this winter? I know what some of you are up to, but I always like hearing about expeditions, the more extraordinary the better.

Me, I am a part of a fine team aiming to summit the 'southern Brothers' - aka Coe and South. We'll be enjoying the fine views of Katahdin and all sorts of gourmet cabin fare by late winter twilight at Daicey Pond.

twigeater
11-04-2004, 10:18 AM
Kidney Pond in January, Nesowdnehunk in February...

Nadine
11-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Chimney Pond early February. I hope it's warmer this year!

And my Koflachs came in the mail yesterday :D :D
It should be easier to climb Katahdin in those, compared to telemark ski boots. They fit my snowshoes better too.

ChrisB
11-04-2004, 10:55 AM
A bunch of us are doing the N-to-S ski traverse in February.

cb

Tramper Al
11-04-2004, 11:19 AM
OK, for those of you describing trips within the realm of feasibility . . .

Twig, where are you headed from your base at Kidney? -- Skiing and stargazing sounds very nice.

Nadine, sounds like you are headed up the big one. I am actually planning to do a little more hiking in my ski boots this year. They are just Excursions, though, and perhaps a little more manageable than what you tele skiers wear.

ChrisB, that might be a traverse that I talked myself out of - for this year anyway.

twigeater
11-04-2004, 11:36 AM
Twig, where are you headed from your base at Kidney?

It's a laid back group and we're not peakbaggers...I imagine we'll hike Sentinel mtn, do some x-country skiing, snowshoeing, make snow angels, LOL...lots of laughing...I'll bring my star chart...
We're there for three nights.

ChrisB
11-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Al,

Sorry you are not among us. There's a group of 8 going in (including Go and SherpaK) and the plan is for four nights and five days in the bunkhouses along the way.

About 50 miles total with possibly one peak (Traveler) to grab.

Spencer and Go made the reservation Nov 1, so now it's time to get in shape and wax the sled!

I've long wanted to do this trip and can't wait to see the N end of the Park in winter.

Should be some hot times around the old wood stove that weekend!

cb

Nadine
11-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Twigeater, sounds like a nice trip. You'll have some great vftt of Sentinel Mtn. I like frozen ponds in the winter :)

Sounds like you're in for some fun Tramper Al. Are you going to try Fort also?

Chris B, that's the traverse I can't get the time off for.... :(

I'm in a group with GO et al, to summit Baxter and hopefully Hamlin. I tried last year, but the weather was way too cold, minus 48. Hopefully this year it will be sunny and warm. Well, at least warmer :p

Anything with steep vertical is more of a challenge with the duckbill on tele boots. I didn't have any trouble on the lower angle stuff I tried last winter though. I also had a hard time getting snowshoes and gaiters to fit over my ski boot buckles. I tried three pairs of gaiters before I found one that would work well enough. No luck with super-gaiters. Make sure your crampons fit your tele boots too. You may have to modify them (Spencers website) or purchase a compatible pair.

twigeater
11-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Northern BSP is awesome in winter (and any other time of year, imo)...

I'll be waiting to read the reports on that N to S trip. I'll get to that one day. Need a different job though, I'd never get a week off during the months of Jan-Mar, and that's what I'd want to really enjoy it.

I hope it's warmer - or warm enough anyway - for your summit attempt Nadine!

Tramper Al
11-04-2004, 02:40 PM
Chris: Yeah, I am already starting to regret passing on the great traverse of '05. I can only pull off so many trips these days, though.

Nadine: This is actually our second trip of this sort. Last year we stayed at Kidney and summited North Brother and Fort. Very nice time.
Lucky for me, when I change from my Degrees to my Excursions, I can use the same gaiters, snowshoes, and crampons (without even adjusting them), so I like that. They are not really 'tele' boots, I don't think. The only difference I notice barebooting is that they go a bit higher on my shin.

Hey wait a second, GO is on my trip as well! What's up with that?

spencer
11-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Tramper, we still have a spot for you, so if you change your mind, let me know.

I'm really looking forward to the trip and I'm glad we got so much interest!

spencer

Frodo
11-04-2004, 07:08 PM
I came this close (looking at a small gap between my fingers) to joining up with Spencer's awesome trip. If I were able to allocate more vacation time this winter, I would have been there, but I have a trip planned to the ADK's between Christmas and New Years, and will also be joining GO, Nadine, et al, for a February trip to Chimney Pond. There is just something special about that place that makes me want to venture there every winter... :)

sli74
11-04-2004, 07:17 PM
Gonna be on Tramper's trip as the "weakest link" ;) and also gonna be on GO's trip and keeping my fingers crossed for Hamlin Peak :)

I am nervous and excited to finally be going to Baxter in winter . . . YIPPEEE!!

sli74

carole
11-05-2004, 07:03 AM
I think the easy part would be hiking there. The harder part is getting back there.

Blue
11-05-2004, 07:58 AM

Me, I am a part of a fine team aiming to summit the 'southern Brothers' - aka Coe and South.

Yeah, I guess you can call us Team SoBro.

One of my favorite parts of last year's trip was skiing across several ponds on the way out of the park. I loved Baxter in winter so much that I would go to ski, to roam, to sit and reflect.. it's just awesome.

twigeater
11-05-2004, 08:01 AM
I loved Baxter in winter so much that I would go to ski, to roam, to sit and reflect.. it's just awesome.

I'm with you Blue...though I am looking forward to Doubletop in February.

spencer
11-05-2004, 08:38 AM
Btw, for those of you like me who like to do day ski trips into the park, there is a very good chance that Williams Pond Rd. will be open this winter.

What's that mean? It means that a 1 day Brothers trip is in order...

spencer

spencer
11-05-2004, 08:58 AM
special permission from HQ is required for one-day above treeline attempts.

SherpaKroto
11-05-2004, 10:12 AM
FWIW, I'm no go for the SoBro but with GO on Chimney, and GO and little Bro (Spencer) on SoBo BSP traverse. I am the slo go with sled in tow ;)

Blue
11-05-2004, 10:32 AM
Hey! Why does GO get to go on the BSP Ski Sobo with Lil' Bro (Spencer), the Chimney with some VFTT-fo and our Sobro? What's up with that?
GO must be your Daddy!

(my head hurts after that)

-Liza
hikah
skiah
hockey playah

SherpaKroto
11-05-2004, 11:34 AM
a) Because we'd never get there without him (and Spencer) and wouldn't want to!
b) just lucky, I guess :)

ytmountains
11-05-2004, 03:30 PM
Doubletop from Kidney end of February ... Think snow ;)

g o
11-05-2004, 03:59 PM
wow, i get busy at work and come back to find this thread ... so i guess i'll have to come clean ... i am a bsp winterholic. yep, it's true. i was having withdrawal from just one trip up there last winter so i need three trips this winter. first is the chimney pond katahdin/hamlin trip. then comes the n-s ski traverse which spencer and i had talked about since i met him a couple of years ago and am really looking forward to. and as iceing on the cake, tramper al's sobro-coe trip!

on the down side i will be spending ten days with sherpak in a two week period. yikes!

life is good. let it snow!
go

SherpaKroto
11-07-2004, 03:44 PM
...on the down side i will be spending ten days with sherpak in a two week period. yikes!...
Dang - how do you think I feel? :D We missed you at the whackfest! Your other lil bro was there. I also think I met Mr X. Or did I?

Sherpa John
11-07-2004, 06:13 PM
This winter I will be continuing my training regime to challenge Tim Seavers 48 speed record. I am running to raise money for diabetes and it means a great deal to me.

I will also be completing the editing of my documentary film "48" as well as working with the AMC in getting it out to you fellow hikers. This film is... as you guessed it, a documentary on hiking the 48.

Now... I know I am ruffling MANY a feather in the hiking world, but hey, we can't all be the same. Respect my likes as I will respect yours.

Sherpa John :cool: