PDA

View Full Version : animated images

arghman
11-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Anyone out there know how to disable animated avatar images, either using
(a) some option under User CP on this site
or (b) some option in the Firefox web browser?

(I just upgraded to Firefox from Mozilla in which the avatars weren't animated)

spencer
11-09-2004, 08:06 PM
arghman,

you can turn off all avatars by going to User CP > Edit options > and then about half-way down the page you'll see a button to show or hide avatars.

I don't know of a way to only turn off animated ones (animated gifs).

I'm curious... Does it slow your machine down or do you just not like to look at them?

spencer

MichaelJ
11-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Most web browsers have an option to turn off animated .gifs in general. In Firefox, there are two ways to do this. One is to just hit the ESC key. Of course, you have to do that on every page.

To turn them off permanently is a little trickier. First, you need to type into the address bar
about:config
which will take you to a very complicated-looking configuration screen. Scroll down until you find
image.animation_mode
It probably starts out with a value of normal. Well, double click that and a dialog will pop up asking for a new value. Give it
none
and from that point on you should see no more animated .gif images, on VFTT or anywhere else.

arghman
11-10-2004, 08:09 AM
MichaelJ: Thank you!!!! :cool: I didn't realize there was a config/resources file. (I actually prefer such things to GUI dialogs, as long as there's documentation to explain what's what.)

I'm curious... Does it slow your machine down or do you just not like to look at them?They're too freaky for my taste. (of course, that doesn't stop someone from using a nonanimated freaky avatar :rolleyes: ) Call me a throwback to the old days when computers & the Internet were primarily plaintext. (Like "rogue" where you spent all your time attacking or running away from various letters of the alphabet) I remember in '93 as a student programmer when someone (It may have been Tim Berners-Lee himself) demo'd HTML to our group. We gagged at the idea... imagine, having to transmit & interpret all that text just to control the way things appeared on-screen. Of course, computers & networks have gotten a lot faster since then...

Mark
12-17-2004, 05:18 PM
Has anyone figured how to disable animated images in Netscape? I find animated avatars really distracting (annoying). I don't want to turn off all avatars - just the animated ones. Short of a fix for my browser, I'm close to adding posters with animated avatars to my ignore list.

poison ivy
12-17-2004, 07:59 PM
Mark :

For Netscape, go to preferences in the edit menu. Under the Privacy & Security category there is a tab for images. When you click on that look at the stuff on the right hand part of the screen. There is a spot that says "animated images should loop" and if you click never, they'll stop moving. (You'll have to close your browser down for it to take effect.)

Hope that helps!
- Ivy

Mark
12-17-2004, 10:43 PM
Sweet! Thanks - just what I was looking for!