PDA

View Full Version : Vermont 4K site?

Fisher Cat
09-10-2012, 06:48 PM
We've got an extra day on our way home from our last trail work trip in NH to do a 4K in VT. Can anyone recommend a good online resource site for the VT 4K's, be it personal or an organization? Just looking for trail route suggestions, TR's, pics, etc.

bikehikeskifish
09-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Abe & Ellen
Camel's Hump
Mansfield
Jay and Big Jay (Note: I know they are not 4Ks, but outstanding peaks on their own.)
Photos from Killington (https://picasaweb.google.com/102470229665583617112/MendonKillington20101224) (apparently, I did not write a TR.)

Tim

Tom Rankin
09-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Abe & Ellen
Feel free to do Abe and Ellen together, but it's a LONG way across that ridge line, and a lot of extra elevation gain and loss, especially doing an out and back. I've done a 'thru hike', 2 'singles', and an 'out-and-back'. I think doing them separately is better, unless you have a good weather day, AND a car spot.

bikehikeskifish
09-10-2012, 10:05 PM
I couldn't scare me up a car spot. It was pretty easy miles for an out-and-back, however. Book time is about 7:45 and I did it in 6:30, with stops.

Tim

jrbren
09-12-2012, 03:13 PM
this site should give you quite a bit of info.

Get maps at the Green Mountain Club store.

I have hiked Abe a few times, Camel's Hump and Mansfield more times then I can count. I would guess between 30-50 each (I live in the Champlain Valley for over 20+ years and climb each at least 1X per year. My favorite Mansfield routes are all from the BTV side. They involve 1 or more of the Sunset Ridge, Maple Ridge or Long trail south of the forehead. Cliff trail is a good way to make a loop out of the walk from the forehead to chin, if you like to scramble and conditions are dry. Camel' Hump from the Huntington side has a nice mile long walk along a brook for a warm up if you park at the small lower lot. I love the long trail approach from the south (wind gap) for fun, easy scrambles and views. Banforth ridge offers a less crowded longer approach. Also has great views in spots.

nartreb
09-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Last time I checked, the AMC list still hadn't been corrected, but Mansfield has *two* qualifying peaks.

Red Oak
09-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Last time I checked, the AMC list still hadn't been corrected, but Mansfield has *two* qualifying peaks.? So its now the new england 68?I better get back to vermont soon!:D