PDA

View Full Version : Inline images

spencer
01-24-2005, 02:43 PM
I've tried putting my images inline, but haven't had any luck.

I've used the [img] tag and uploaded the jpeg, but that doesn't work. Would someone please enlighten me? I always get the picture as an attached link.

thanks,
spencer

Papa Bear
01-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Try the littlle icon above the edit window with the mountain on the yellow background. When it asks for a URL, you put in the address of the picture which you have stored somewhere on the web. The picture is not "uploaded" (for that us "attach") but merely linked.

So I click on the icon and then I put in "http://gallery.backcountry.net/albums/papabear_torngats/ado.thumb.jpg"

And voila:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/albums/papabear_torngats/ado.thumb.jpg

Pb

Pucknuts61
01-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Hi Spencer,
If you are looking to load thumbnails, then follow Papa Bear's advice. If you want to show everyone all the great pictures then use a web service.
I had the same problem. You can enter a picture no larger than 100 mp (mega pixel's I think...) but all mine were 250+.
The kind Mr. Metsky explained that the best approach is to use webshots (it's free...or you can even upgrade to a premium account, but then it's 3 bucks a month).
You open an album for each trip, then just upload the pictures and include the link on your trip post to your web shots public account.
This way, the really nice pictures come out less grainy and fuzzy when opened in a large format.
Check out my Mt. Adams trip report from 1/15 and you can click on the link I added.
It was really easy, and I have since posted a couple more albums to share.
Good luck,
Bill

spencer
01-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Thanks guys.

I should have been more clear. I know how to link to images already on the web and I already have one or more webshots accounts (I'm not telling).

what I was trying to do was to both attach a photo and then show it inline. I know how to attach a file to a post (under a certain size limitation), but then how do I view it inline?

thanks for the quick responses already!

Papa Bear
01-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Try this.

1) attach the photo
2) exit the edit mode (submit the message)
3) click on the attachment
4) capture the URL of the attachment
5) go back to the message (edit) and use the IMG icon to display it inline.

I'll try it now.

Attaching picture (from my home PC)
submit

OK, I've attached it. Back in the edit box. Here's goes: http://www.vftt.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=568

Didn't work. :confused: I must assume it doesn't like the URL from this site. Maybe it's a feature.

Looks like you gotta put the picture somewhere else.

Pb

Papa Bear
01-24-2005, 06:10 PM
Checking size limits:

http://gallery.backcountry.net/albums/papabear_2004_Osceolas/aak.jpg

Now that's pretty big. Pucknuts61: I think those limits you experienced were for an avatar.

OK: what peak is that?

Pb

Pucknuts61
01-24-2005, 09:04 PM
You gotta gift, Papa Bear!

Okay, I'm going with Osceola. :rolleyes:

Papa Bear
01-24-2005, 09:35 PM
Okay, I'm going with Osceola. :rolleyes:Close.

Wow! Get this: I sent the above message "Close" and the system says: "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."

Usually it complains my stuff is too long. Now it's too short!

Any way I will expand my message: "Osceola is close, yes, close, actually quite close"

Papa Bear
01-25-2005, 07:49 AM
Correct Kevin.

Now back to Spencer's original question (if I hijack a thread at least I should try to un-hijack it :D ): I'm thinking the reason the system would not display the inline image was not because it was on this site, but rather because it didn't think it was a picture. Note the URL of the attached image I attempted (see note 5 above) ended with achmentid=568, not with .jpg or .jpeg.

Any other theories? This should be testable, but right now I gotta do some other stuff. Can't spend every living minute day and night on this board. :D

pb

RoySwkr
01-28-2005, 11:11 AM
If you go to "User CP" [upper L of form], choose "Options", there is a choice as to whether to display inline images. With this on, 2 of Papa Bear's appear inline, with it off none of them appear.

There is also a choice as to whether to display avatars. When Darren seemed concerned about the cost of the site and deleted all the old messages, I removed my personal avatar because I figured that sending it cost like 10x more bandwidth than the actual message (a point recently echoed by Stoopid). If heavy users turned off viewing each other's avatars, it would cause a dramatic reduction in site bandwidth.

Papa Bear
01-28-2005, 12:21 PM
There is also a choice as to whether to display avatars. When Darren seemed concerned about the cost of the site and deleted all the old messages, I removed my personal avatar because I figured that sending it cost like 10x more bandwidth than the actual message (a point recently echoed by Stoopid). If heavy users turned off viewing each other's avatars, it would cause a dramatic reduction in site bandwidth.True .. and before posting some of those big inline images here I thought about the burden it might inflict on VFTT. I concluded they do not pose a burden on VFTT because:

1) The storage is on some server elsewhere.
2) Loading the image is done by the user's browser and the traffic does not go through this site.

OTOH, if inline images slow you down, you might turn off the display of them in your profile. Others with broadband may to prefer to leave them on. The same goes for attaching images vs. linking images (from somewhere else).

Bottom line:

Avatars take up storage and their display takes up bandwidth from VFTT.
Inline images take up bandwidth on your system, but do not impact VFTT.
Attached images: take up storage and their display takes up bandwidth on VFTT.
Linked images: do neither, and since you don't have to click on the link, yet should not impair the bandwidth challenged.

So in general, move your stuff off of VFTT and use links or inline images.

I will do a little experimenting putting my avatar as an inline image in my signature file. I'll let the board know how that goes.

Pb

Warren
01-28-2005, 12:43 PM
I can't speak for how VFTT is hosted/charged. But it should be noted that the term bandwidth on a forum site can refer to two things:

1. The amount of data being pushed onto the net from the VFTT server.

2. The signal to noise ratio as it refers to content.

I think there's been times in discussions where bandwidth was mentioned as #2 and understood as #1 as well as vice versa.

BrentD22
01-30-2005, 08:00 PM
WOW all that stuff was just blah blah to me.