PDA

View Full Version : What (if any) list are you working on?

spencer
02-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Several years ago when I started on VFTT (certainly not since the very beginning, but close I think) the forums were pretty sparse in the winter.

Now it's one trip after another! Lots more trail conditions reports and folks asking for others to join up on hikes (I love the camaderie aspect that has really developed us into a club in the last few years).

So, I'm wondering if people are really whacking away at winter lists or if more people are just out hiking for the heck of it.

When I ask what list are you working on, I mean your primary list. For instance, I haven't finished the NE 67 (2 pesky VT peaks left) but I'm really working on the winter HH. A long shot is the 3k list which I keep track of, but I'm not really "working" on it.

I would vote Winter HH.

how about you all? I realize I don't have all the lists here, but the polls are liimited to 10 options. Sorry, Papabear, you'll have to vote for one of the other

by "all seasons" I mean 3 seasons.

spencer

HikerBob
02-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Currently focusing on the NH 48 any season and getting as many during winter as I can :)

I'm sure to progress to other lists once the 48 are done.

If there were no lists I'd invent my own :)

Bob

dr_wu002
02-03-2005, 02:59 PM
I'm not much of a list person, but I still like people who are ;)

But, could you add this list (http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=41407)? I'm not working on it per say, and you don't get a badge or anything (I could e-mail Greg Slayden though and ask) as far as I know, but I really think it's a neat list. When you look at raised relief maps of the Northeast US, you really get a sense that this list is meaningful.

I'd like to do 2000' prominence, then 1500' prominence, then 1000' prominence. I think I'll stop there -- most 500' prominent peaks are going to be subpeaks of one of the others, I assume. It gives a pretty varied approach to the mountains of the Northeast US, all of which I love! Don't get me started on adding The Chic-Chocs, Torgats etc. so that you can have a "Northeast North America" list too. Haha, this is all coming from someone who is not a list person. I think I just like to have a list of all these great hills to walk! And this list gives a varied look at the whole Northeast.

Thanks!

-Dr. Wu

Postscript: I see where you wrote that you're limited to 10 things on the poll. Oh well, hopefully people will click on the link and see the list anyhow :o

el-bagr
02-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Casually, the NH 4k Ski 48. One left to go... watch this space for an Isolation TR most likely in March.

Papa Bear
02-03-2005, 03:15 PM
... But, could you add this list (http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=41407)? I'm not working on it per say, and you don't get a badge or anything (I could e-mail Greg Slayden though and ask) as far as I know, but I really think it's a neat list. When you look at raised relief maps of the Northeast US, you really get a sense that this list is meaningful.
Dr. Wu
I and a few others here are working on a related list, the New England Fifty Finest (http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/Prominence.html) Which includes all the New England 2000' prominence peaks (not NY) plus a few more to make 50. (Note the definition of prominence that Roy uses differs slightly from what Greg uses, so the list order is slightly different.) I'm happy to report I've done 37 thus far. Personally, I expect to also throw in the 8 or 9 in NY so you might say I'm working on that list as well. That's what Spencer was talking about in the first post about my list not being on his list list. And Spencer and I have a return date on The Traveler when it's not 40 MPH winds and cold rain, right Spence?

Anyway, if you like prominence, check out This site (http://www.peaklist.org/) which tells everything you ever wanted to know about the subject and more.

Pb

ken
02-03-2005, 03:24 PM
But, could you add this list (http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=41407)?thats the one i'm working on also (P2K) - should be the best one, since all of these are "on top of the world" - many 4000 footers are surrounded by other 4000 footers - but all the P2Ks that i have been on so far... you are above it all!

dr_wu002
02-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Thanks Papa Bear! I've seen that list before. I'm not actually "doing" this list but I have about 1/2 the mountains on it. I think that it's neat because it provides an equal distribution throughout the Northeast -- even in NH, the peaks on the list aren't limited to The Whites. It would be senseless to focus solely on the list (can you imagine just doing Washington but never bothering to visit Adams because it's not on "the list"??) but it almost provides you with an evenly spaced grid to look at, find the high point for each space, and explore the rest of that region.

Hopefully we'll get to meet on the trails sometime. You seem like someone that I'd really like to chat with -- especially about the Torngats.

Best Regards,

Dr. Wu

bobandgeri
02-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Currently working on the NEHH (and in a sense the NE67), the NH48 Winter, and the the Y-Alpine list that you do not have listed: http://rbhayes.net/yalpine.htm

lumberzac
02-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Currently, Iím working on the Adirondack 46 and will probably finish the New York fire towers challenge after that.

MattC
02-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Wu, thanks for posting the link to that fascinating peakbagger site. I now remember you discussing prominence during the hike the other day.
As for the poll, I'll soon complete the Catskill 3500 basic requirements, which is kind of the Associates Degree of Northeast peakbagging. I hope to start work on my Bachelors in the ADKS this spring and summer. Then maybe someday the PHD-the NE 115. For now though, I'm just havin' fun and learnin'.

Matt

MEB
02-03-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm working on my NH48 winter list but I'm not limiting myself to just those peaks.
MEB

Sherpa John
02-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Working on NH48 in Winter
Hundred Highest
NE4K's

NH48 Speed Record

carole
02-03-2005, 04:02 PM
I finished 'working' and am now having fun!! :D

Edit: more fun ;)

Puma concolor
02-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Hey hey, ho ho, State Highpoints are the way to go!

Planning a deep south trip for May.

arghman
02-03-2005, 04:39 PM
I refuse to work on any lists (other than the list of mountains that look interesting to hike) & will not consider otherwise... at least not until I've got more than 75% of the NH4K done. :rolleyes:

mavs00
02-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Seven Summits - I'm at 0/7 :(

Other then that - Casually, ADK100 and possibly ADK46-B. No longer married to a list though, If in the course of working on them, they cease to be fun, then it's over. Only reason I even have a list is that they point me to other interesting places (and my current ones also satisfy my joy of bushwhacking).

Don't think I'll attack another list as hard as I did my first one. TOO CONSUMING.

Rik
02-03-2005, 05:13 PM
I voted for ADK46 winter but really I'm working on all of them! By working on multiple lists I avoid the 'consuming' feeling of one list and get to vary where i go, what i look at,... I do admit that when I get close to finishing a list I become more focused on it but that is usually after years of chipping away at it.

Doc McPeak
02-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Even though I'm at 43 on the W46, and have peaks being checked off for an Every Season 46, and a Solo 46, it's hard to consider these lists, more like hometurf diary entries. As I near a finish I know I've got it and become less obsessed with just finishing, and more obsessed with finishing on my terms. Cherry picking glorious days, doing stellar repeats of favorites in between, and building toward a relaxed and smooth end to a satisfying and hard earned run. Then I can get obsessed for the first two-thirds of my next batch of lists. I hope to have more time to explore NH and ME this summer and fall. Two trips in the works are nice, but five would be nicer!

rondak46
02-03-2005, 05:41 PM
...The Catskill 35/3500
and the Fire Tower Challenge

Mike

rhihn
02-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Even as we were coming down off of our 46th peak we swore of of lists. Too confining, too many other places to hike. We do have several of the 46 that are our "favorites" and some that are do-overs because of bad views.

coldfeet
02-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Working on my wife's "punch list" for house projects! Inbetween that I'm trying to do the Catskill 3500, I should have started house stuff years ago, sorry i didn't! Home Depot here I come!

askus3
02-03-2005, 06:21 PM
I wish there was an other option so I did not respond to the poll. But, the four lists that I am (concentrating?) on are the Catskill 3500 winter peaks & Catskill 3500 List. As for the Catskill 3500 list, I have one more and it will be scheduled on Thursday, June 23, 2005. I will post more details of that hike up Westkill closer to the time. For those of you that wonder why that date: It will be 35 years to the date of my first summit of Hunter Mountain June 23, 1970. 35 peaks over 3500 feet in 35 years. I have 8 Winter peaks (4 of which were required for the Catskill peaks). And probably will finish that list in 2021, 35 years after I started that with my first Catskill winter peak. So I am slowly picking up a winter peak here and there.

I did mention 4 lists. Now that I finished the NH 48, I like the companion NH 52 With a View list. That makes an even NH 100. I have 29 to go on that list.

I also am working on my New England 67. I thought I finished Maine in 1981. This summer I have to go back to get Spalding & Redington since now they are included. Then on to the five in Vermont.

Lastly, I am day-hiking/slackpacking the AT southbound. This summer I will be hiking the AT from Flagstaff to Richardson Lakes in Maine.

So I have enough irons in the fire to keep me busy from my busy other life.

Aaron

Jay H
02-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Having recently finished the Catskill 3500, I'm sort of working on the Winter 3500 and the catskills 100 list.

Should make some progress on my winter peaks this weekend!

Continuing on my ADK 46r list, I have about a 14-15 peaks done, no bushwacks yet.

Jay

sierra
02-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Completed the 4k's in NH, now in CO working on the 14ers 28/54, then plan to go to CA and bag the 14, 14ers that are there, then its back to NH to settle down and retire from peak bagging. Ill be the one in the Saco with the dog fly fishing under first bridge :eek: :D ;)

dms
02-03-2005, 08:26 PM
The 3k's, for 25 years and counting, getting close though, only 27 to go! :rolleyes:

spencer
02-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Everyone,

I'm aware that my list of lists is limiting, but the poll feature only allows ten choices. My main interest was to see the ratio of winter to all season votes, so I included the most common lists.

Unless someone wants to start a poll at questionpro or one of the other free online survey services, we'll never get all the lists in one survey.

great responses so far!

spencer

poison ivy
02-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Okay, I may need a 12-step program to get away from the lists. Right now, I'm concentrating on the NH48 winter list (having finished the all-season.) But once winter ends, I'll go back to working on the NE67 and Hundred Highest, which I hope to finish this year. I'm also planning to finish up the New England AT this summer and I'm chipping away slowly at the state highpoints (18 and counting...)

- Ivy

ALGonquin Bob
02-03-2005, 09:06 PM
The past couple years, I've come to LOVE winter. I hate to see it arrive, but then I hate to see it end. I'm working on my ADK Winter 46... "it's almost a obsession"!

State High Points? Don't forget the State Low Points. My friend Clark Hall (46-r #1372) managed to achieve 49 High Points (not Denali), and I believe that, along with some buddies, was the first to do all 50 "Low Points"- not as difficult.... but fun!

forestgnome
02-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Nope, just for the heck of it, or more accurately, just for the love of being in the forest hiking down a beautiful trail, listening to the sounds, smelling the scents, seeing the flora and fauna. A summit is just one small part of a nice hike, a ten-minute pause in a day-long adventure.

Raymond
02-04-2005, 03:33 AM
Instead of "all season" maybe you should have said "any season;" or left it off entirely. I'm working on the New England Hundred Highest, but I'm not trying to do them four times, or even three times, apiece. Just once. Probably. For now, anyway.

audrey
02-04-2005, 05:06 AM
I voted Northeast 3K but it's really the New England 3K, and we've kind of stalled, now that we're hiking more with VFTT friends and they're all working on 4K's and 100's. But it's all good.

Tramper Al
02-04-2005, 05:38 AM
I voted NE67 in winter, but that can't be right. Why then am I traveling to Baxter next month to climb Coe Slide?

Now for some boring details:

My primary 'to do' list is:
New England AT, and I'm stuck at 481 of 733 miles

Then there's:
Long Trail: 183 of 270 miles
NE NFCT (canoe): 72 of 565 miles
Catamount (ski): 81 of 307 miles

NECoHPs: 43 of 67 highpoints

And so many others . . .

giggy
02-04-2005, 06:48 AM
no list at all - my interest in more above treeline alpine stuff - so most of my outings are in the presidentials or franconia.

maineguy
02-04-2005, 06:48 AM
The Northeast 3K is on the list but not the Northeast 111 (115)?. Huh??

vegematic
02-04-2005, 08:55 AM
I'm keeping track of several lists so I voted for the NE3Ks since that seems to include many of the other lists. Like some others, I pursue them rather casually and use the lists to prompt me to check out peaks and trails that I might otherwise have ignored.
-vegematic

ExploreTheEast
02-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Nope, just for the heck of it, or more accurately, just for the love of being in the forest hiking down a beautiful trail, listening to the sounds, smelling the scents, seeing the flora and fauna.

A "Just for the heck of it" option would have been nice. :( Now I feel so left out. :( :(

bobmak
02-04-2005, 09:44 AM
No lists here..... there are peaks that I have done several times in all seasons, and there are some that I have no interest in ever doing. I think at this point in my life I would be hard pressed to even remember all the peaks. Hey, maybe I've completed a list and I never even realized it! :eek:

Is there such a thing as New Englands lowest? My pups and I have hiked through some pretty swampy & wet areas in the past.

Mike P.
02-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Should have had an "other" category & the ability to check more than one.

Following one list seems like too much work & listbagging, working on one list completing it & then another.
What listssss am I working on?

Winter 48 (1/2 done with a couple more planned for the 04/05 winter)

Solo 48 (40 or more done)

ADK 46 20 or 21 done I believe

48 done in three different seasons. Have done the 48 x 2 with at least one followup in a different season than the first trip, around 20 -22 have been done at least 3 times in three different seasons, goal will be to do the 48 in all four seasons (11 done so far in 4 seasons - 4 Franconia, Garfield, South Twin, Field, Pierce, Ike, Adams, Osceola)

South Beyond 6,000: well not really working on it have done Craig & Mitchell & have a wedding to attend this year in TN, planning on Clingmans, Collins, Kephart & LeConte

The peaks I've been to the most, I'll work on seeing in all 12 months, none so far but 11/12 for Greylock with Bear, Monadnock, Everett, Lincoln & Lafayette not too far behind, can see adding, Pierce, Ike & Moosilauke to that although I'll need 12 more Moose visits.

Keep highlighting trails (trail bagging) on my White Mtn map too.

daxs
02-04-2005, 12:05 PM
My lists weren't on your list - The Catskill 3500 and the Fire Tower challenge. I have done a few winter ADK peaks but I don't see finishing that list.

Guinness
02-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Daxs, You did not want to start the winter 46r list and look at what you have done already. You will finish them......it just might take some time, but I have confidence you will finish them.

Neil
02-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Adk 46 and 46W. It's so addicting and so much fun. It's a game, really, that only fellow players can understand. I mean, what an absurd concept: ''needing'' a peak. I even hear that some folks experience a mild case of the blues when their list is complete. What a zany bunch we all are! Very physically fit, but zany.

Pete_Hickey
02-05-2005, 06:28 AM
Spencer,

There is a definate increase in winter hiking. You see it in several ways. fifteen years ago, when winter hiking in the adirondacks, I would have to break trail more often than not. In the past few years, I've rarely had to break trail. In fact the only time has been late fall, when there are less hikers, because it doesn't 'count' for winter.

Other areas it can be seen, is in availability of gear. Shops are LOADED with winter gear, while 15 years ago, it was much harder to get. That indicates a market.

Now, for my lists? Dunno. I was working on the NE115, but found that I've got over 80% of my NH peaks in winter, so I may be looking at getting them done in winter. I'm doing trailwork most of the time in the summer, so I don't have time to hike recreationally then.

eddie
02-06-2005, 07:37 PM
I am working on helping my 11 year old son get his ADK 46 while I am redoing some for myself. Some of them were so long ago, when I rehike them they are like new.

Jasonst
02-07-2005, 06:19 AM
Working on the NH 4k 4 seasons. Anyone else working on this? It doesn't seem to be that popular...

afka_bob
02-07-2005, 07:26 AM
As far as I know, I'm the only one working on the NE 100 Highest Double Solstice H.O.O.F.

moose_mckenzie
02-07-2005, 08:37 AM
i am slowly working on the ADK-NYS Firetowers. I was leisurely working on my Winter Catskill 3500, but, due to the passing of my mother, two weeks ago, I have forgone all winter hiking.

Moose
adirondacks@verizon.net

Rik
02-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Moose,
Sorry to hear about your mother. My sympathies.

mike1889
02-07-2005, 11:50 AM
ADK 46 - all seasons. Six remaining for spring and seven for fall; winter and summer are done. I will eventually finish but not sure when. I'm in no hurry to climb Allen and Blake in the spring.

TenPeaks
02-07-2005, 12:08 PM
I've done the NH 48 and NE 67, so now I'm chipping away at the NE 100 highest. At the same time I'm hitting some of the 52 with a views.

Personally, I like the lists because it gives me idea's where to hike next. If I finish a list, great. If I don't, oh well. I'm more interested in just being out in the wilderness than if I completed a list or not.

woodstrider
02-07-2005, 01:56 PM
US high Points! I am currently working those babies. ;).

Yeah - I agree that lists just help you to plan your next hike. It's all good.

Sorry to hear about you Mom, Moose. I climbed MacNaughton in the winter as a tribute to my Grandmother, on her birthday to celebrate this good womens life, not her death.

Mike P.
02-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Jason,

It's one of many I'm keeping a tab on. 11 done in all 4 so far with a 12th planned in Feb & 21 (soon 22) in three seasons. (all have been done in two different seasons)

So far 4 (Adams, Ike, Pierce, Field, S. Twin, Garfield, 4 Franconia's, Osceola)
Three: those 11 + Moriah, Middle Carter, Madison, Washington, Tom, N. Twin, Galehead, Hale, both Hancocks

WildPeaks
02-08-2005, 09:29 AM
NH 48 Winter.
With Monroe yesterday, :) That makes 16. The best part about that is: there's still plenty to do!

Tom

Bob
02-08-2005, 09:51 AM
US State Highpoints (in good style)
New England State Highpoints in winter
Swiss Bobbing all 4K's

CaptainJim
02-08-2005, 01:18 PM
According to the definition Prominance is "Prominence is defined as the vertical distance a given summit rises above the lowest col connecting it to a higher summit. " My question (probably a stupid one) is what is COL ???

Capt. Jim

mavs00
02-08-2005, 01:23 PM
A col is a saddle or a low area the connects two higher elevation points. For example, a mountain pass would be a col. When you look at a mountain range, the low spots between peaks would be the cols.

For a graphic example, follow -THIS LINK- (http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4888560.00013999&e=593118.000000498&datum=nad83) , the X marks the Wolf Jaw col in the Adirondack Great Range. Hope that helps.

CaptainJim
02-08-2005, 01:38 PM
That helps a great deal. I recently did Mt Washington from the Pinkham Notch Visitor Station. I believe about 2000'... summit 6288' so vert is about 4200 and change, but according to the Prominance table on Peakbagger it's listed at 6100 and change... that's what was messing me up. They must be calculating from a lower point (col) than from where I started. Thanks again!

Capt. Jim

dr_wu002
02-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Prominence is calculated as the height difference between the mountain's summit and it's lowest col between it and its nearest higher neighbor. For Washington, it's nearest higher neighbor is Potato Knob in North Carolina.

This link (http://www.peakbagger.com/help.aspx#prom) may help.

-Dr. Wu

SherpaKroto
02-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Hmmm, I'm not completely sure what lists I'm working on:
NH winter 4K (38/48)
NE winter 4k (why the heck not?) (40/67)
ADK 46 (a relative newbie at 15/46)
111er (84/115)
Most avatar appearances ;) (not sure how many)

dr_wu002
02-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Hmmm, I'm not completely sure what lists I'm working on:
NH winter 4K (38/48)
NE winter 4k (why the heck not?) (40/48)
ADK 46 (a relative newbie at 15/46)
111er (84/115)
Most avatar appearances ;)
List completion hikes

How about Speed Record for NH48? :p :D

How is your knee by the way? Please oh please wait a few weeks to post a full trip report (with pictures) of 5 days in BSP. I'm still digesting all the presidential and franconia day trips this weekend (I was in the Catskills, very nice I might add) and I'm about ready to explode in a fury of pure, black-hearted envy. BSP may be too much for my already heavy heart to handle. Just kidding. :o

-Wu

SherpaKroto
02-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Please oh please wait a few weeks to post a full trip report (with pictures) of 5 days in BSP.
If I wait too long, I'll be up there again. Nine days and counting until my next BSP trip (with Spencer/GO, et al). This time, a 6 day ski traverse. Woohoo!
The knee is so much better with the brace (when I remember to wear it, right GO?)

dr_wu002
02-08-2005, 02:28 PM
If I wait too long, I'll be up there again. Nine days and counting until my next BSP trip (with Spencer/GO, et al). This time, a 6 day ski traverse. Woohoo!
The knee is so much better with the brace (when I remember to wear it, right GO?)
Did I mention that I have a degree in kidnapping and impersonating people? :cool: Oh, by the way -- do you want to get together for a few drinks a day or so before you leave for BSP? Now, where is that smiley face with the devil horns on it?

:D

-Wu

Pucknuts61
02-09-2005, 01:23 PM
I apologize in advance if this question has been asked, I just couldn't find an answer.

I am working on my all season 48 and I have done a few in winter. Can I use those again for my winter 48 list?
Thanks,
Bill (pucknuts61)

sli74
02-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Yup, you can count winter ones for both lists BUT obviously the converse is not true :)

sli74

Nadine
02-09-2005, 09:24 PM
I'm considering bagging a few more winter peaks...

dave.m
02-10-2005, 07:44 AM
As far as I know, I'm the only one working on the NE 100 Highest Double Solstice H.O.O.F.

I'm going to regret this but I can't sleep at night until I know:
1) What is the "NE 100 Highest Double Solstice H.O.O.F." list?
2) Have I been an unwitting party to this in any way?
3) Is it related to ungoing efforts to expand the reach of New Jersey soverignty?
4) Or, heaven forbid, is related to http://tinyurl.com/5t74x ?

Dalraida
02-10-2005, 12:21 PM
I'm currently working on my "years" list. So far I'm up to 65 and counting. Hope to get to 85 at least :)

afka_bob
02-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Well, Dave, for the enlightenment of this community, Iím glad you asked.

Let me answer your questions in order:

1) The NE 100 Highest Double Solstice H.O.O.F. is the little-known New England 100 Highest peaks climbed on either the Summer or Winter Solstice while Hopping On One Foot. With these restrictions, you can see why there have not yet been any patches issued: no one has yet finished the list.

Competition, though, is fierce to be the first, so you can probably understand why I am not revealing just how many of the 100 I have completed in this fashion (donít want the others to know how close I am just yet). A hint, though: at this pace, I should finish sometime in the Winter of 2057, should I actually live (and hop) so long.

2) Yes, but I am not at liberty to say how just yet.

3) I've been informed by legal sovereignty experts that though I have flown the flag of New Jersey from many of New Englands Highest, my claims for New Jersey territorial sovereignty would probably take many years of court battle to be recognized.

4a) No. Any confusion probably stems from the NE 100 Highest ďFloaterĒ list where participants levitate under their own power up and (since 1998) down from each of the summits.

4b) As for the song, when have four so gifted artists -- Ralph, Charles, Paul, and Larry -- ever said so much in only 11 minutes and 49 seconds? To truly understand the depth and breadth of these musical geniuses -- geniuses -- (and you know I'm not one for hyperbole), just go to the link dave.m provided, and click "See more THE FLOATERS lyrics" at the bottom of the page.

As for the NE 100 Highest DS/HOOF, beyond the modest embroidered patch, and the fierce bond of comrades who know what it is to attempt and sometimes even do the near impossible, we seek no outside recognition.

Another list I am working on (and doing much better at) is "VFTTer on most other VFTTers' Ignore Lists." I should finish that one sometime this Spring.

adkpooh
02-10-2005, 11:10 PM
Sure, everybody has their lists.....I find it hard to get stuck on one list or another. Like others have said here, I love to hike what I want whenever the mood strikes. I admit, there is nothing quite like being on a mountain top! Unfortunately, I highly dislike the ADK high peaks during the summer- especially on weekends. The erosion and litter alone could make you sick. For those certain times of the year when I feel forced away from the High Peaks, I love finding that relatively remote pond....seeking out waterfalls........seeing fall foliage from some of the lesser peaks......scouring the space inside the blue line for geological oddities. 100's.....46's....Prominence....winter...summer... .etc..etc....now how about....just...."because it was there"! I think that about covers it!

percious
02-11-2005, 12:03 PM
This poll should allow multiple entries... I am currently working on these lists:

ADK46 - 26
W46 - 7
NE115 - 26A+3V+4NH =33
HIGHPOINTERS - NH, NY, MA (failed attempt CT, MD, WV)

-percious

RoySwkr
02-13-2005, 06:51 PM
Working on the NH 4k 4 seasons. Anyone else working on this? It doesn't seem to be that popular...
There's a guy a couple replies back who said he was, and there are 2 women who are members of this board (and 2 guys who are not) who have completed this list at least twice as part of the 12x48

I know there are a lot of Winter 48 completers and aspirants here, but how many calendar Summer completers? There are some people who live elsewhere and do all their NH hiking on a summer vacation, but when I looked carefully at dates many of my "summer" hikes were late spring or early fall. And I'll bet there are even fewer Spring and Fall completers. Another poll?

Most of my "uncompleted" lists saw no additional checkoffs last year so I can't be too serious about them. When I heard about the 52 With Views I thought it might be interesting but discovered I had Packardized it (climbed all peaks before seeing the list). Same with the YAlpine list.

Dalraida
02-13-2005, 07:09 PM
I've been working on "bluelining" all the trails in NH for a very long time. I guess you could say I started when I was 14 when I soloed Washington and spent two nights at a Hermit lake lean-to. So unless there is a time limit I have been working on this "list" for 51 years. But not with any seriousness, until I first laced up my "Limmers" in the spring of 1981. All my "bluelines" are done with my "boots with eyes". Problem is that I seem to do my favs over and over again. The boots are on their fourth set of soles thanks to the guys in Intervale.

Jaytrek57
02-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Bluelining? I often heard it termed "Redlining" but I guess it depends on the pen. ;)

I am quite into this as well with a variety of maps.

My wife and I are working on our US National Parks list. About half way done. The only requirement is to spend 2 nights in the BC where applicable.

Peace.

MarkL
02-15-2005, 05:56 PM
I'm going for:
--ADK 46 4 season
--ADK 100 Highest, any season. I wasn't going to set the 100 as a goal, but I have only 18 left to do, and last summer I really, really enjoyed doing 4 new peaks, 2 of which were navigational challenges.
--Winter NE 115, sort of. It's a list to work off, but the driving time and expense seems prohibitive. But I want to do a "respectable #" of these in Winter. Two more will put me half way.

Lists:
I don't like the bean counter mentality that can come with doing a list, but choosing a list is really setting a goal, and that helps motivate me to get out there more often.

Cols and passes

mavs00 is right: a col is a pass. And I guess it's also a Notch. Depends on the local usage. In my mind, whether it's a col or a pass depends on where you want to go. From the bottom of the ridge to a peak, or from one peak to the other, it's a col. From the bottom of the ridge to the other side of the ridge, it's a pass.

TMax
02-16-2005, 06:18 PM
Lists! Lists! Lists! They are fun to work from. I just completed my Catskill 3500, am working on the Catskill 3500 winter, ADK 46ers, and STATE HIGH POINTS. What a great time that is. Chasing that list has brought me from a feed silo in Iowa, to a bump of a rock (812ft from sea level) in Rhode Island, to 14,433 ft Mt. Elbert in Colorado. I've done 11 so far and am hoping to do either Rainier or Whitney as my "big one" this year. The greatest challenge of the Highpoints list is definitely the logistics!

bpschroder
02-17-2005, 06:08 AM
Guess I've started to work on the 48 list all seasons. This winter I'll try and knock out as many as I can. Uh-oh running out of time...! I've done a lot of the peaks already over the years, but I've decided to reset the clock nothing for me will count going back father than spring of 2004. I've realized the list will help me from hiking the same mountains again and again. I really don't care to place emphasis on completing any of the lists anytime soon, its just awesome to get out there and enjoy it especially with everyone at VFTT.
Maybe when I've done some of the list I'll start repeating them... lets see... 10 48s 100 100s.... :)