PDA

View Full Version : cookies? log in log out

el-bagr
09-05-2003, 02:00 PM
Used to be that if I spaced out for a while, I'd have to log back in. This was especially true if I closed the browser. Now, it still is true if I log out, but if I don't, I am still "logged in" (or recognized as me) even after several hours of being off the board. Could be that this is based on IP-logging or cookies...

Has anyone else noticed this change? I guess it's for the better, since I trust Darren not to be a big nephew of Big Brother... still, it's curious.

chomp
09-05-2003, 02:04 PM
I've always been automatically logged in. In fact when I left for Colorado for three weeks and came back, I punched up VFTT and was still logged in. I think that there is a setting in the User CP where you can have the board automatically log you in. Maybe you had that setting unchecked in the BC era (Before Crash) and you checked the option in the AD (All-hail Darren) era.

-chomp

Papa Bear
09-05-2003, 02:25 PM
yes it's an option you can set on or off.

Click on "user cp" tab at the top of the screen, then click on "Edit Options". It's the third one down: "Browse board with cookies?"

I have always had it set on and I find it convenient. The only time you might not want it on is if your PC is used by many different folks (say you don't want your 10 year old daughter posting in your name, for example). Then turn it off.

Pb

AlpineZone
09-05-2003, 02:25 PM
What Chomp said. And chances are it is cookie-driven...