PDA

View Full Version : animal sightings

teloshykr
02-19-2005, 05:26 PM
I was reading the last post about moose, and it occured to me that Ive nver seen one on the trail. As a matter of fact I havent seen anything in N.H. while walking. Ive spotted -ran into actually - a doe, on my way up Khatadin, and spotted many bear in western Ma. had a porcupine eat my breakfast at the cape, but Ive never had any encounters in N.H. Is this typical? I consider myself a very quiet and alert person in the woods....maybe im fooling myself.
Anyone out there have any stories to tell?

rondak46
02-19-2005, 07:11 PM
I've been working outdoors, at night, in Maine, in fairly remote places, for the last two months. Until last night I had not seen a single deer. I am hoping to see a Moose before I leave, but I am not holding my breath.

I hope to work days at some point so I can see the mountains that, I have heard, are plentiful around here.

Incidently, one thing I did find in Maine that was a very pleasant find is Geary's IPA. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm.

Mike

poison ivy
02-19-2005, 07:41 PM
You aren't the only one teloshykr, most of my animal sightings were outside of NH too. I think it's just there tends to be a lot more people on the trail in NH... (at least where I'm hiking...) while it's easier to get in remote spots in Maine or Vermont.

I tend to see a lot of snowshoe hares in NH and I've seen a black bear & several deer while on the trail in NH, but all of my moose sightings in NH have been on roads (I have seen moose in Maine while on the trail.) My only porky sighting was in VT. I've heard coyotes at night, but I haven't seen them, in both CT & NH.

- Ivy

DougPaul
02-19-2005, 08:13 PM
I've seen moose from the trail in BSP and the Whites in summer.

In BSP they are very common in Sandy Pond, but we also saw one cross the trail between Roaring Brk and Chimney Pnd.

Also came upon a mother and calf while canoeing Fourth Lake Stream (between Fourth and Third Machias Lakes, ME).

In the Whites, I saw one near to and crossing the Gale River Tr .5-1 mi from the parking lot.

Moose like ponds, and moist and swampy areas.

Doug

Rugger
02-19-2005, 09:06 PM
I had 4 deer run across the back yard this morning in Tyngsboro, MA (just South of Nashua NH) The Beagle and Huskie were outside and did not like it one bit since they were in their kennel. Also saw a very fat Coyote on the way to work two weeks ago. As far as hiking in NH, only seen Moose along the side of the road, an occasional Partridge and a fox. In Vermont - Deer, Bear, Fisher, Coyote ... My little brother, who still lives in Vermont hunted a total of 100 hours this past season and saw just 3 deer, all Doe.

SteveHiker
02-19-2005, 09:09 PM
I ran into a moose, or rather he almost ran into me, last May near the Crawford Path trailhead. I had a trip report on here with pictures, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

I've also encountered several large ground-nesting birds. I don't know if they're called pheasants or patridges or grouse or whatever. I do know that they scare the crap out of me most of the time, the way they come flying out of the undergrowth squawking and carrying on.

One other time, I forget which trail it was on, I was surrounded by chipmunks. They were running all around, ahead of me, behind me and along the sides. Chipping away like crazy. There were so many of them and they followed me for quite a while, it was beginning to feel like a Hitchcock movie.

TMax
02-19-2005, 09:09 PM
I guess I've been lucky. I've actually seen moose three times (once was a mother and a calf) in the swamp across the street from Pinkham Notch. I had another mother and calf run across the trail in front of me on my way up the Jewell trail. One day I had a small black bear literally fall out of the woods onto the trail (the Old Jackson road) right in front of me! And then one morning, as I was walking up the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail I had this funny feeling that someone was coming up behind me...I turned around and I was being followed by a small red fox! I love the woods! I tend to hike at times when I know there won't be a lot of folks on the trails and am usually solo. Maybe that's why I've had so many sightings. Here's two pics from one of the moose that ran by when I had my camera out.

Jaytrek57
02-19-2005, 09:42 PM
On my daily dog walks here in the Blue Hillls (Ponkapoag side), I feel at times I am on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

I have seen on multiple occasions coyote, deer, fox, owls and Red Tails. Raccoons are common but surprisingly no skunks.

The hawks hunt mainly on the expanses of the golf course. You can sometimes sit on a small hill and watch them hunt...pretty cool.

Peace.

forestgnome
02-20-2005, 07:18 AM
I've seen in WMNF...
-coyote pack feasting on a deer on Mountain Pond at sunrise, then a bald eagle taking a few bites later that day.
-mama bear nursing her three cubs from about 10 feet away.
-spruce grouse sqwawking and faking a broken wing, leading me away from her chicks.
-fisher cat
-falcon, scared the heck out of me on Scaur Ridge
-hundreds of moose encounters, including the time I saw a big bull on the trail when I glanced up Boot Spur Trail from Tuckerman Ravine, as I thought to myself "I'll never see any wildlife on this busy trail".
-a big buck on the top of Deer Hill
You'll see more if you hike solo. Once on Carter-Moriah Ridge, on a busy Saturday, I was hiking down from one of the peaks into a col where I saw a moose and two calves. I stopped and watched them for a few minutes, they were on the trail. Then we all heard the next party coming, talking about some stupid TV show. The mama turned her head toward the noise, her big ears straight out. She quickly trotted into the trees, the calves right behind her. It was about 5 more minutes until the other party arrived at the spot.

Mattl
02-20-2005, 11:52 AM
I dont understand how people can go more than a year without seeing an animal in the White Mountains. The real explanation I think lies in where people hike. Lets just say 80 % of the wildlife are not near busy areas and not near high mountains. I hike into very remote places, and its just insane what happens to me. Ask Steve Smith..I have literaly almost been killed several times. Once by a rutting bull moose in the pemi, another time by hungry black bears in the wrong place(pemi), and many other encounters that got scary as hell. Iv seen about 15 spruce grouse, hiking 20 moose in the wild, 5 bears, falcons, lots of tracks of bobcat and fisher but none seen yet, bunnies, and others. Its just amazing what you can see if you step off trail or go into the more forgotten places. -Matt (check out the link for the moose that almost took my life)
http://www.geocities.com/mattlacroix4/pemi_moose.html

http://www.geocities.com/mattlacroix4/great_outdoors.html

BrentD22
02-20-2005, 05:27 PM
-Grouse - Lots and lots on the Sandwhich Range.
-Moose - It made a bluff rush at me. I almost crapped myself.
-Lots of deer
-A family of FOX - My first animal sighting ever. It was near Greylock in MA.
-Huge Porkupin (bad spelling) - I was with a youth group. It was night and we first thought it was a bear cub. It was HUGE!!!!!!!!!!
- Paragan Falcon - Also on Sandwhich Range. I was working trail crew and we had to post signs for people not to approach cliff edge. The big daddy falcon almost killed us!
- Lots of dogs!
- This weekend the only sign of wild animals was some small birds and a raven.
- At my old house in Sudbury, MA there was a conservation area behind my place. I used to see tons and tons of deer. Once a moose! Yes a moose! It was on the news.

Pucknuts61
02-20-2005, 06:35 PM
My daughter's first 4000 footer also included a mother and calf walking through the Nauman tent sites near Pierce/Jackson this past July.
I also hear that Nancy/Norcross Ponds have a lot of moose activity.

Howack
02-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Speaking of animal sightings, I solo alot and have often wondered about coming across animals in the wild, will most animals that we have in the northeast just run from the sight or sound of humans?

Rugger
02-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Howack,

In almost 50 years of living in Vermont, NH & Mass every wild creature I have come across has run, trotted, crawled or waddled (Porcupines) away as fast as they could except Skunks (I run) and rabbits (I'm convinced that they think if they don't move I won't see them). I have fortunately never come across anything that appeared rabid, so I would guess if something like a racoon did not move away I would.

professor
02-21-2005, 12:39 PM
After a lifetime of hiking in the northeast, I had never seen a bear on the trail before last summer. Famine and Feast- I saw two bears four days apart! One near lake Jimmy on my return from Allen (In fact, I saw more bear than people that day, one to zero), the other while trail running through a section of national forest near my house.

Tramper Al
02-21-2005, 02:02 PM
I love spotting wildlife. There ought to be a 'list'.

While walking up NE 100 Highest peaks, I have seen these mammals:

Black bear (North Brother)
White tailed deer (Hamlin and others)
Moose (Tripyramids winter, Boundary, and others)
Coyote (Peak Above)
Red fox (many)
Fisher (Weeks, Killington)
Pine marten (North Brother winter)
Ermine (Bigelows winter)
Beaver (many)
Snowshoe hare (many many)

and of course more common stuff like racoons, porcupines, skunks, squirrels, shrews, mice, bats, etc.

They are around. It helps to get up early and walk alone.

I am still looking for:
Bobcat
Lynx
Catamount
Wolf

Rugger
02-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Tramper Al,

I've seen two of your wish list in the same area;

Catamount (although F & G deny they exist) low on Blue Ridge near Rutland Vermont.

Bobcat right behind me on top of Bloodroot, also near Rutland Vt. Scariest sound I've ever heard in the woods.

My sister saw a catamount this past fall in Braintree Vt.

nietzschescat
02-22-2005, 07:58 AM
I've seen moose very close on the trail in Nova Scotia at Cape Breton National Park and I saw a bald eagle and a bear off in the distance on the same trip. The moose very very docile and didn't run even though there was a lot of activity on the trail.....people running back to their cars for cameras and such.
I've seen a coyote on the side of the road near the trail head to Slide Mt. Usually hiking I think we are too noisy to see many animals, but we usually scare up some grouse. I've heard owls frequently.
I've seen a bobcat twice near my home (northern Dutchess County, across the river from the Catskills) My dad saw one with it's kitten in it's mouth. I've seen a lot of red fox and coyotes. We had a red fox that used to sleep in the tall grass near my clothesline.
I saw something last week that I've never seen before......a flying squirrel sitting inside the metal cage of my squirrel proof bird feeder. It is smaller than a grey squirrel and it has big eyes because it's nocturnal. It has webbed skin under it's legs and it doesn't actually fly, but I did see it glide.

Tramper Al
02-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Tramper Al,

I've seen two of your wish list in the same area;

Catamount (although F & G deny they exist) low on Blue Ridge near Rutland Vermont.

Bobcat right behind me on top of Bloodroot, also near Rutland Vt. Scariest sound I've ever heard in the woods.

My sister saw a catamount this past fall in Braintree Vt.

Very nice. I tried to track the Acton (MA) lion, but she got away.

I'll have to do some more hiking in the Rutland area. Obviously, the cats are much more active after dark.
I wouldn't mind bumping into a Bobcat while night hiking, but . . .

Stan
02-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Have seen lots of moose in Maine and New Hampshire and several bears in New Hampshire. forestnome's list is a good one and if you've ever had the good fortune to see a bear suckling her cubs count yourself very lucky ... on two counts, one seeing such a cuddly sight and two, not being attacked by a defensive Mom. 10 feet!? wow. I saw mine from about 50 feet higher up on Webster cliff.

I'd say you'll see more wildlife the quieter and slower you move. Most wild animals avoid human contact. Just sitting still for a while will likely draw things back out. Often you might be looking right at something and not really see it. I shot a video of a moose about 20 feet away in some brush. She was so well camoflagued that for the first minute or so you cannot discern this hugh bulk from the background ... until she wiggles her ear. Then the whole form takes shape.

Barbarossa
02-22-2005, 11:04 PM
I have seen turkey vultures in New Ipswich, NH on the Wapack trail. They were in a formation of about a dozen. I also saw one perched in the woods behind my house in Westford, MA. As I edged closer, he edged away. He got tired of the game and flew off.

On my way to Moosilauke last October, I almost hit a black bear in downtown N Woodstock. It threaded right between two oncoming cars.

I have yet to see a moose, but I have spotted plenty of sign. A couple weeks ago I was on a ridge where it seemed I had burgled a moose colony. There were a couple spots where an animal had lay down for quite a while.

Why don't we see more animals? We may think we are quiet while they think we sound like a freight train.

A leaf fell in the forest. The hawk saw it, the bear smelled it, the deer herd it.

arghman
02-23-2005, 08:03 AM
Last summer I was at Little Lyford Pond (this is in the middle of the North Woods about 20 miles east of Moosehead Lake) doing trailwork;there are two ponds there & they have canoes at both. Some of us went canoeing around sunset & we saw 4 beavers (separately) & either one or two moose, I forget. The moose were rather skittish; they can't see well but they know you're there and as soon as you get too close they run away. The beavers were either braver or stupid or both -- we got about 5 feet away from one of them until it finally went WHAP! SPLOOSH! and slapped its tail onto the water & dived. People say that's supposed to warn the other beavers of danger but I wonder if it's just to help them get more leverage & dive more quickly.

The moose are more easily seen at remote locations, I've only seen one in WMNF and it was along the Kanc in that flat swampy part in the middle.

Only animals that don't seem to run/fly away from people are gray jays (the thieving bastards!)

sierra
02-23-2005, 08:04 PM
half dozen bears on the Whites, many deer, grouse and such, but my all time best sighting was a mountain Lion while soloing in the Yosemite backcountry on my way to climb MT. Conness. My first impression was how big it was, second impression was I hoped I looked unappealing as he gazed at me, by far the most beautifull animal Ive ever seen.
P.S. I guess I didnt look to appealing he left me fairly quickly. :eek:

forestgnome
02-23-2005, 08:52 PM
forestnome's list is a good one and if you've ever had the good fortune to see a bear suckling her cubs count yourself very lucky ... on two counts, one seeing such a cuddly sight and two, not being attacked by a defensive Mom. 10 feet!? wow. I saw mine from about 50 feet higher up on Webster cliff.
Stan, I like your avatar, nice shot. I definately feel lucky, on both counts that you mention. First I found mama sleeping under a huge White Pine. She awoke and gave me a false charge and huffed and popped. I backed up immediately, then she let let me stay about 20 feet away. She looked up the tree, tipping me off to three cubs. I took a few shots through the branches and just hung out for a while. Then she made some cool sounds and down came the cubs. Sensing a great eye-level shot at a cub, I eased forward. She gave me another "back off, pal" with a few more huffs and popps, so I stopped at about 15 feet away, then she sat back down. The cubs came down, checking me out as they got closer to the ground. I nailed one nice shot of one cub, but I flubbed a shot of two cubs thanks to the autofocus, which focused on a branch between them. DOAH! I thought the whole family would leave as soon as the cubs hit the ground, but instead mama leaned back against the tree and the cubs crawled up and started nursing. I couldn't believe what I was witnessing. It was very special. I had seven frames left. She was looking me in the eye as I eased a bit closer so there would be no brush btween us, knowing this was once-in-a-lifetime. Scary, but I did capture some pictures. Then I watched for another few minutes, thanked mama, and slowly left the scene.
You can see the pictures at WebShots; I can't find my instructions on how to link it. Just do a search for Forestnome.

weatherman
02-23-2005, 10:23 PM
WOW is all I can say to the last few posts. Nothing as interesting on my list (typically I hike with noisy kids, or Tramper Al who sees 'em first before they run away) but this morning in Central MA I saw the first redwing blackbird, the first red-bellied woodpecker, and the first turkey vulture of the year.
Bring on more snow-I'm not done playing yet.

Weatherman

adkpooh
02-23-2005, 11:17 PM
I had an experience heading out towards Siamese Ponds....this was 1st or 2nd backpacking trip...maybe 13 yrs ago. I had stopped in the middle of a trail to adminster some eye wash to get a bug out of my eye. As my boyfriend & I we were standing there- you could hear to my right what sounded like the largest, heaviest creature tearing thru the thick, shoulder-high brush...it was headed straight for us....Dave spun around to face it - I grabbed his elbows- pinning them behind his backpack. Having a little difficulty seeing at the time, I managed to shake him violently in the direction of the sound- all the while screaming "What is it???? What is it???". Low and behold.....a rabbit tore out of the brush and ran across the trail...right between our feet. It seems that the little hill we were standing on was formed by centuries of fallen pine needles. This made the sound of the rabbits' rather large, furry, hind feet thumping against the ground- grossly exaggerated.
Dave was just a little upset that if it had it actually been a bear- he would have been helpless to do anything- primarily because I had his arms pinned behind his back. After a good scolding and my promising to never do that again, we resumed the attempt to wash out my eye.
To my horror, from the opposite side of the trail was an even greater crash thru the brush - heading straight for us! Not only one creature...but this time two!!! Surely, it must be that rabbit...being chased by a black bear! Once again, I firmly shook my darling Dave by the elbows, fiercely in the direction of the sound...and continued to scream "What is it???". You can imagine how embarrased I was to (barely) see that same rabbit dart across the trail - followed by.....an even smaller rabbit. I don't think Dave said another word to me until campfire that evening.
He now refers to all trail rabbits as "northeastern kamakazee attack rabbits".
I will say that further up that same trail we did see the biggest buck I have ever personally laid eyes on.

forestgnome
02-24-2005, 05:39 AM
adkpooh, a great story! Women have a much stronger "survival gland", and that's a good thing. My wife ridiculed me quite a bit for what I did, but she understands how much I love the forest and all of her inhabitants.
Animals in dry brush sound much bigger than they are. As Mattl, others and I will attest, the biggest animal threat out there is probably a frustrated bull moose during the rut. We have both been bluff-charged. I believe there are a few lions and wolves around, but I don't fear them. I would love to see one.
You'll be fine out there, just allow Dave use of his arms. ;)

brianW
02-24-2005, 07:03 AM
Catamount? I thought Harpoon bought them... Oh you mean the feline type. Button Wood Park (zoo) in Nwe Bewdford, MA has a nice exibit of a catamount. You can get within 10 ft of it as it walks about. If you live in the area you should check it out, mostly animals found in New England.

I am still hoping to see a bear, bobcat, pine marten, and if they are really around catamount and wolves.

Most of the animals I have spotted are in unexpected places. For example I used to live near a pond located close to the center of Winchendon, MA. I spotted on a regular basis beaver, muskrat, mink and river otter in it and fox and racoons around it. A few months after I moved a moose was spotted in it.

When I am out hiking I spot signs of animals (tracks and scat) but seldom do I see them. From my porch though I have seen deer, coyote, fox and moose One night I heard brush crashing next morning bear tracks in the area. We did loose one bird feeder last spring (must remeber to remove in next few weeks) and my wife saw a bear near the chicken coop. :eek:

Artex
02-24-2005, 08:44 AM
I'm a fast hiker (or pretend to be), so I bet I miss out on lots of great wildlife sightings, and I'm sure it's the same for many others. I've noticed that most of the time, I'm only looking straight ahead at the trail in front of me, and not much to the sides. I bet if anyone took the time to be more observant of their surroundings, they'd see a lot more than they might expect. Having said that, I've still managed to see moose, foxes, snowshoe hares, deer, and lots of other cool wildllife in NH and Maine. Still no bear though (at least not on the trail).

professor
02-24-2005, 11:07 AM
Then, of course, there are the wild turkeys. I have a flock of them living in the woods near my house. I see them regulary. One day last summer, as I walked down my heavily wooded driveway to fetch the morning newspaper, I turned the corner out onto the road and found myself standing in the midst of about 20 wild turkeys. They were very cool about the whole thing - I suspect that they were in need of that first cup of coffee just as much as I was. They just waddled away, seeming somewhat embarrassed by the situation. If you do start them, however, they kind of look like flying bowling balls!

Mr. X
02-24-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm still looking for those "wood devils".

KayakDan
02-24-2005, 01:02 PM
I'm amazed at the folks who frequent the Whites and never see a moose. Must be incredibly bad luck. I've seen(and almost run into) so many moose that I drive like an old lady at night anyplace past Lincoln.
Only one black bear,but were only in the Whites in winter.
My wife did spot a "mountain chicken" though...it was a grouse. Hey,she's from Ohio so...

My most memorable animal encounter was a really close up visit from a sea lion while kayaking in Alaska. It gets a little tense when you figure this 1000lb visitor might just haul out on your kayak-as they have been know to do. We had a short conversation,and he left.Right under my kayak :eek:

Also had an owl visit our backcountry campsite one cold winter night about 4AM. Holy crap! I thought there was a train coming through the woods!

proszach
02-24-2005, 01:48 PM
No moose on trail in NH for me, but seen them on the road some. At Chimney Pond in BSP, we woke up to a moose and her calf (correct?) licking our pots and eating leaves by our lean-to. I've never seen a bear either, although we had a fun experience in the Adirondacks where a bear infiltrated our "bear-proof" hanging system. Note to self: hang food very far away from trees, as bears can climb like champs...

Barbarossa
03-10-2005, 06:44 PM
this morning in Central MA I saw ... the first turkey vulture of the year.
Bring on more snow-I'm not done playing yet.

Weatherman

I just saw my first turkey vulture this afternoon. I was snowshoeing in the woods out back when I heard a raptor type scream. I stopped and looked up and caught a glimpse of it through the trees. I tried to catch up, but it covered a lot of sky pretty quickly.

MattC
03-10-2005, 07:24 PM
I just saw my first turkey vulture this afternoon

Funny, it's all about where you live. Here in the New Paltz (NY) area there's so many turkey vultures around it's almost boring. It's not unusual to see as many as 30 while I'm walking home from work. I believe some actually live in some Norway Spruce right here in the village, and there are tons of 'em up on the nearby Shawangunk Ridge. I've seen them riding the updrafts only about 30 feet above me while up on a part of the ridge called Bonticou Crag. They are indeed kinda ugly up close, but they're quite beautiful when in flight.

Not too many moose around here though...

Matt

SherpaKroto
03-10-2005, 07:52 PM
My list is pretty much identical to Tramper Al's. I did see a Bobcat many years ago crossing the ski trails at Wildcat while I was skiing. Last month we saw 4 deer, many grouse, and 2 pine martens in BSP.

My all time favorite sighting was on Moosilauke a few winters ago. I had a killer migraine, and only continued on so my climbing partners ahead woud not be concerned (I wanted to tell them I was turning around). At around 3900 feet, I was slumped over my poles, cooling my face with snow. Directly in front of me, no more than 5 feet away an ermine slowly crossed, stopped, looked up at me, cocked its head and then proceeded to go on its merry way. I had to look it up when I got home - I didn't know what it was :o

Weatherman, I feel your pain. I was hiking with Tramper when he saw the Moose high on the Pine Bend trail, and a ways behind him when he saw his bear on North Brother.

Al, what, no otters? How about Eagles?

MattC
03-10-2005, 07:58 PM
Wow, Forestnome-I just looked at your webshots gallery. Those nursing bear shots are just incredible! You're very fortunate. The alpine meadow and northern lights photos aren't too shabby either.

So far my only bear sighting was on the Devil's Path on the way back from Hunter Mt. last September. It was kind of small, maybe a year old or so. It was up in a tree about fifty feet ahead of me and when it smelled and/or heard me, it shimmied down very quickly and took off into the forest. An hour earlier, I had decided not to try for Southwest Hunter (one of the Catskill 35) after hitting the main peak. If I had gone for SW, I wouldn't have seen the bear that day. Just something to think about.

Anyhow, the stories on this thread are downright inspiring. Thanks for sharing y'all.

Matt

Barbarossa
03-10-2005, 08:08 PM
Funny, it's all about where you live. Here in the New Paltz (NY) area there's so many turkey vultures around it's almost boring. It's not unusual to see as many as 30 while I'm walking home from work. I believe some actually live in some Norway Spruce right here in the village
Matt

To clarify, it was the first of the season. I have seen 4 or 5 at once in the woods out back. The first time I saw a turkey vulture there was a formation of about a dozen or so. This was on the Wapack Trail on New Ipswich mountain.

Like SK, I had to look it up when I got home.

Cold River Bob
03-10-2005, 08:42 PM
I saw this on another fourm, How would you like to see this on you front step?http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=2043

Nighteagle
03-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Besides crapping your pants and praying, whats the best way to deal with an unfriendly lion where both you and the lion walk away ??

Jaytrek57
03-10-2005, 10:37 PM
If attacked by a llion fight back with all you have. let it know you are not food. :eek:

A little animal joke if you will, I always tell new groups of kids I take outdoors.

They usually ask about bears and such but I quickly tell them they should be more concerned with the dreaded mattabooboo. This usually invokes alot of questions and you need to be patient, but one person will undoubtley say, "What's a mattabooboo?"

The reply of course is..."Nuthing Yogi." :o

Of course nowadays kids don't know about Jellystone's favorite bear and I have to keep the laughter to myself (probably should have kept this post too..oh well).

I'm here all night folks. :D

peace.

Tramper Al
03-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Weatherman, I feel your pain. I was hiking with Tramper when he saw the Moose high on the Pine Bend trail, and a ways behind him when he saw his bear on North Brother.

Al, what, no otters? How about Eagles?

Yeah, let's see. I only listed the mammals, but I have a pretty decent list of big birds spotted on trail as well.

Otters, not yet. I first noticed otter tracks only earlier this winter on the Catamount Trail in southern VT. The tracks are very cool, like a mini pulk sled with hind foot prints pushing off every once in a while. I saw tracks again yesterday along the West Branch, but only the 'sweep' couple on that ski trip actually saw the otters. Apparently, it helps to lounge around for a while, having a leisurely lunch by the 'Soudahunk Falls. Eventually the otters come out to play.

Eagles, yes. I've seen some bald eagles over the Androscoggin, in that nice Class 2 run above Milan, and on the NFCT as it comes down the Connecticut. Also on trail, I saw both a bald and a golden eagle while I paddled the length of Flagstaff Lake on the NFCT. SherpaK will remember that 'supported' trip.

I've had many great on-trail encounters with barred owls, red tails, and great blues. I surprised a northern saw-whet owl on my all season 48th trip up Isolation. Fortunately, he stayed around (5 feet away) long enough for my wife to catch up and see him too.

And "fool's hen's", of course are so commonly spotted that we might mention in our trip reports when we don't see one. I spooked two yesterday skiing on the AT. They ski well.

Oh, yes, how could I forget this. While hiking a New Hampshire County Highpoint last summer, I saw several elk crossing the trail and literally dozens of feral pig / wild boar creatures running about. And the views from the top (and fire tower) were really nice too.

Stan
03-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Isn't it nice that bald eagles are becoming a dime a dozen! I hear they're pretty common on Lake Umbagog. I've seen one on I-95 heading north while crossing the bridge over the Merrimac River. Thought it was a seagull at first but closer observation indicated otherwise ... almost drove off the bridge rubbernecking! Likewise have seen a few crossing the Connecticut River on the Mass Pike.

Saw a great horned owl on the logging road enroute Stetsontown. It was atop an old dead tree next to the road ... we watched it and it watched us for a few minutes as it flaunted the horns ... the show-off ... then it took flight with a graceful and proud display of wingspan that has to create some species envy among us mammals.

jrbren
03-14-2005, 01:28 PM
I have been hiking about a dozen times per year (used to be alot more) for the last 15 years and generally do not see any wildlife hiking in the high peaks of NY, NH & Vt. I do see alot of wild life near the roads driving to and from trailheads though. Moose are frequent in NH, deer in NY. I have only been to Maine a couple of times but saw many moose roadside and even the only bald eagle I ever saw in the wild road side (OK, by wild here I mean not in a zoo). What have I seen on the trail ?

Deer in a couple of occasions, once on trail to Pharoah Mountain, once last month at reservoire trailhead to Whiteface. The deer stopped and stared a bit before bolting. Saw a fisher (or some weasel like animal) many years ago right before reaching the maintained trail while coming off the Seward trailhead. Saw a black bear around noon time at "hitch up matilda's" at Avalanche Lake. In NH I saw moose at onset of an early morning hike up one of the southern 4Kers, right south of the Kanc, I cannot remember which one. I could only see him because there was some sort of road that was straight for a half mile or so I I could see him in the distance. I started all of my climbs of that group of peaks from the same general area on the Kanc. I saw Beaver on several occasions in ADKs, near herdpath start to street & nye for instance. And many many squirrels, chipmucks, grouse and woodpeckers. By and large I seemore wildlife at work(I work for a computer company in an office) or at home then hiking. I suspect the count of wildlife that sees me that I do not notice is much, much higher. Evidence of there presence I see on almost every hike (droppings, tracks, etc...). I also see alot more wildlife in my few canoe trips, as animals like to hang out near the water, much moreso then up in the hills. Plus I make much less noise in a canoe then walking, no matter how soft my steps.

Chip
03-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Besides crapping your pants and praying, whats the best way to deal with an unfriendly lion where both you and the lion walk away ??

Standing up, waving your arms and screaming - preferably moving towards the animal to show you are bigger and badder as opposed to running down the trail away from the animal. ;) You could also carry the holstered bear mace. Unfortunately, by the time you see a dangerous animal, if it's after you, it's too late to generate much of a thoughtful response. Pets are at more risk than you are. Being approached by a rabid racoon or a sick/injured coyote is much more likely around here than cougars or bear.

turd_furgusson
03-14-2005, 10:22 PM
I live in an area of NY State between the Catskills & Adirondacks & go for walks a few times each week along the Schoharie River or up the surrounding hills & I have MANY, MANY pics of deer, fox, BALD EAGLES, herrons, swans, Canada Geese as well as snow geese, over 1000 pics. The wild life here is plentiful.

I am new here & am having trouble posting pics. It only allows pics up to 100kb & all my pics are bigger than that. Any ideas how to post them here?

Chip
03-15-2005, 11:45 AM
I saw this on another fourm, How would you like to see this on you front step?http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=2043

This is from the linked article below, March 5, Hornell Evening Tribune, Apparently these pictures have been floating around for years, not that it's not possible, but this story has all the markings of classic Urban Legand.

"An e-mail sent to various local media and officials from someone claiming to be Ginny Allen is unsubstantiated, according to Russ Biss, the DEC Region 9 Natural Resources supervisor. Biss said the e-mail, which contains photograph attachments of supposed mountain lions, has been floating around for years and is bogus. He stated Region 9 biologists traced the photographs to a couple in Pennsylvania and confirmed the pictures could have been taken at any location, including the west coast. He didn't rule out the possibility of mountain lions existing, but stated hard evidence is needed before the DEC confirms the animals' presence in the area.

"We seem to get credible reports from people, but no actual proof of tracks or real pictures," Biss said Thursday. "I'm not saying there isn't anything out there, but we need proof. It's a state-wide circumstance."

http://www.eveningtribune.com/articles/2005/03/11/news/news01.txt

Chip
03-15-2005, 12:03 PM
I live in an area of NY State between the Catskills & Adirondacks & go for walks a few times each week along the Schoharie River or up the surrounding hills & I have MANY, MANY pics of deer, fox, BALD EAGLES, herrons, swans, Canada Geese as well as snow geese, over 1000 pics. The wild life here is plentiful.

I am new here & am having trouble posting pics. It only allows pics up to 100kb & all my pics are bigger than that. Any ideas how to post them here?

Your pictures have to be "Hosted" (held on-line) at a site like Sony Image Station. Once they are there, you can copy their Properties address and paste that here in a thread between and ,
it looks like http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid161/peb2a85c54ee08da16b3/f4d43808.jpg [img]
I hope that helps.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid161/p89ef823022bc71212e64a8bfaf2c8165/f4d3edf8.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid161/peb2aab316921428da85c54ee08da16b3/f4d43808.jpg

turd_furgusson
03-15-2005, 02:00 PM
U lost me. I am not all that computer savy so I don't know about "Hosting" sites & the link U put up is a dead 1. So I'm not real sure what I have 2 do. I have over a thousand pics on my 'puter. I actually use them as a screen saver slide show but I don't know how 2 get them on line. I go hunting at least 3 time per week, with a camera that is. Actually I have a couple of pairs of binoculars with digital cameras attached 2 them So I can get some pretty neat pics but I haven't figured out how 2 share them yet.

Chip
03-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Turd, It's a bit of an effort, but if you want to share photos on line you have to start by having a server "Host" them. Go to http://www.imagestation.com/member/join.html , join (basic membership is free as they are trying to sell other services) and follow the links to Browse and Upload a photo. Their site will "browse" your photos and you then select one to upload to their hosting site. If you do that I can walk you through the rest.

turd_furgusson
03-15-2005, 04:46 PM
Good, thanx. I just signed up but am very bz so I have 2 kinda squeeze things in between other things so I will work on uploading pics. I C they'll give me 10 free prints which is cool as everything I have is on CD. I don't have any extrodinary pics 'cept 4 a few good shots of a bald eagle. I have many MANY deer pics as well as the usual array of red fox, herrons, geese, ducks, squirels, chipmonks, butterflies, etc... I also have some video of bald eagles in flight & a group of deer headed by 2 bucks squaring me off & trying 2 scare me away. It almost worked but when I started waving my arms they turned & miandered into the corn.
Thanx 4 the link. It may take a few but I'll get them posted & then we'll work on posting them here.

Chip
03-15-2005, 07:09 PM
Having a Buck square off against you IS a little scary.
When you are ready to post a picture here, view it full size there, get your cursor arrow on the pic, right click and select Properties. That brings uo the pics url address, copy that complete address and paste it here in a post between and . When you preview your post you should see your picture.

PhishADKhiker
09-23-2005, 11:25 PM
my wildlife experiences:

Lots of Moose, especially on the allagash river in n. maine.

many many large Black Bears on steroids on big moose lake in ADKs. Has anyone ever spent time in Big Moose Lake? They are as big as they come around that area.

there is one especially, that has 3 legs and is absolutely gargantious. it is also tagged with a DEC collar.

I have seen a black bear being tranquilized on the road by a ranger because apperently the bear was breaking into a shed near the big moose inn.

I have seen 2 bald eagles on the hudson river.

i have witnessed a buck with its whole leg caught in the ice on the still water resevoir also in the ADK park. it was uplifting to see him finally free himself after an hour and run into the woods with a slight limp.

Gamehiker
09-24-2005, 05:35 AM
Largest moose I've seen on a trail was on the ATLT about 5 miles north of the MA border. Otherwise I watched a Cow feeding in Daicey Pond BSP for a few minutes and had a moose walk by my campsite on the Piscatiquis River West Branch at 7PM and again at 7AM the next morning. (His normal commuting times) Otherwise moose are real plentiful from the Rangeley area over to Errol. But so far the only Bear I've seen in Maine was in the Wildlife Park in Gray.

Artex
09-24-2005, 06:25 AM
Glad to see this thread revived. It's neat to read what others have seen.

Recently, while hiking we spotted a grouse in some scrub pines near the summit of West Bond. It was only a few feet away, and the best look I've had at one yet.

Saw a bear and two cubs in Baxter State Park last month, as well as some moose.

While driving home a few nights ago, I got a really good look at a marten on the side of the road, blinded by my car's headlights. Only about a mile away from my house.

A few weeks ago while on a morning run, a pack of coyotes began howling in the woods a few hundred yards away. That was awesome!

I feel fortunate to live where I do. Lot's of cool wildlife literally in my backyard, and I'm close to many great hiking spots that are close-by.

dentonfabrics
09-24-2005, 09:27 AM
After 10 years of hiking with buddies, I had to do most of my hiking this summer solo because of an erratic work schedule. The payoff was that I ended up seeing more wildlife in one summer of solo hikes than I had seen in all my years previous. I saw my first bear (mother and cubs, up a tree, 200 yds from the Avalon Trailhead) and came face to face with a moose (on a Waterville slope, where the Tecumseh trails tangents it). I had never seen either before this year.

bob

forestgnome
09-24-2005, 09:26 PM
After 10 years of hiking with buddies, I had to do most of my hiking this summer solo because of an erratic work schedule. The payoff was that I ended up seeing more wildlife in one summer of solo hikes than I had seen in all my years previous. I saw my first bear (mother and cubs, up a tree, 200 yds from the Avalon Trailhead) and came face to face with a moose (on a Waterville slope, where the Tecumseh trails tangents it). I had never seen either before this year.

bob

Oh yes, you will most definately be more likely to see the wildlife if you hike solo. That is why I hike solo. Wildlife sightings are an important part of hiking for me. There's always plenty of time to talk to people later! ;)

I remember your earlier account of the sow and cubs near Avalon trailhead. You'll always remember that moment. :)

rup
09-25-2005, 07:12 PM
any bigfoot signtings, clues??