PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Peak from the Magalloway River

TJsName
06-19-2014, 07:01 PM
I'm wondering how feasibly it is to do Diamond Peak from the Magalloway River. We're going to be in a canoe, but I'm wondering if it's feasible to 'park' on the side and head up (or if we should paddle up the Dead Diamond a ways). Anyone have any experience in that area?

Best,
T.J.

David Metsky
06-19-2014, 09:53 PM
You'd have to paddle up through gorge just past the gate house, and I don't think that's really an option. Most likely you'd pull out at the bridge and hike up the road from there to the trailhead. Even getting up to the bridge would be a challenge but I suspect it's possible.

TJsName
06-19-2014, 11:03 PM
You'd have to paddle up through gorge just past the gate house, and I don't think that's really an option. Most likely you'd pull out at the bridge and hike up the road from there to the trailhead. Even getting up to the bridge would be a challenge but I suspect it's possible.

Ahh, well that is very good to know! What was that saying... if you are going to be dumb, you better be tough.

IQuest
06-20-2014, 08:27 AM
IMO, your best bet would be to just walk/bike the road. It would require far less effort than paddling upstream on the shallow Dead Diamond River. However you could just go up a short ways and get out at the old runway. When you do hike it, be sure to keep going until you can't go any further. The trail is faintly marked and begins to peter out just before the summit. There are some nice ledges up there overlooking the Magalloway and you should be able to see the roof of the Management Center across the street from the trailhead.

TJsName
06-24-2014, 01:13 AM
IMO, your best bet would be to just walk/bike the road. It would require far less effort than paddling upstream on the shallow Dead Diamond River. However you could just go up a short ways and get out at the old runway. When you do hike it, be sure to keep going until you can't go any further. The trail is faintly marked and begins to peter out just before the summit. There are some nice ledges up there overlooking the Magalloway and you should be able to see the roof of the Management Center across the street from the trailhead.

The old runway shortcut looks like the best option here. The river was way too shallow to paddle more than a few hundred yards up. :)

David Metsky
06-24-2014, 08:22 AM
If you go during the right season, look for blackberries and raspberries along the landing strip. Yum.

IQuest
06-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Don't forget the blueberries too!