PDA

View Full Version : Hitchin' a ride...Rocky Branch (16) to Pinkham 9/13?

yogi
09-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Just throwing this out there. Wondering if anyone would be driving this way in the mid/late afternoon this coming Saturday? I will have a medium sized Australian Shepherd with me (45 lbs). Back of a truck works just fine.
Planning to hike Isolation via Glen Boulder and would like to cruise out Rocky Branch. I estimate the road walk back at around 4.5 miles...I've done worse, but may just backtrack if there is a slim chance of catching a ride (which is typical with a dog).
Don't need concrete plans, meeting time, etc. but if there's hope, I may just give it a shot.
Thought maybe with the flags event going on there would be more hiker traffic than normal in that direction. Gas money, a cold beer, an IOU for a future ride of similar nature....or any combination thereof.
Thanks!
Dave.

TJsName
09-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Just throwing this out there. Wondering if anyone would be driving this way in the mid/late afternoon this coming Saturday? I will have a medium sized Australian Shepherd with me (45 lbs). Back of a truck works just fine.
Planning to hike Isolation via Glen Boulder and would like to cruise out Rocky Branch. I estimate the road walk back at around 4.5 miles...I've done worse, but may just backtrack if there is a slim chance of catching a ride (which is typical with a dog).
Don't need concrete plans, meeting time, etc. but if there's hope, I may just give it a shot.
Thought maybe with the flags event going on there would be more hiker traffic than normal in that direction. Gas money, a cold beer, an IOU for a future ride of similar nature....or any combination thereof.
Thanks!
Dave.

Your odds of getting a hitch on 16 on a Saturday afternoon are pretty good, even with the dog.

Raven
09-09-2014, 06:03 PM
Your odds of getting a hitch on 16 on a Saturday afternoon are pretty good, even with the dog.

The last time I did this hike, my partner and I were picked up without thumbing it. I've been picked up coming up to the notch from the north side as well without asking.

One of the easier hitches around.

KRobi
09-09-2014, 07:32 PM
I would be the negative voice in this crowd. When we did Isolation on Flags on 48 in 2012 we did exactly what you are planning. I felt it would be easy to get a ride back to Pinkham. By the time we hit the parking lot many were gone and the two I asked were going the other way. I tried the road but I was not able to get a ride.
Traffic is moving fast on 16 here, it is also a curve. By the time you are spotted most are going too fast and are by you. If you can get a ride from someone in the lot you should be ok. As with all hitching it can be hit or miss. good luck.

Greg YEAH!
09-09-2014, 07:52 PM
If I saw a man that looked like you walking down the road, I probably wouldn't pick you up either.

Summerset
09-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Check your private message inbox on this forum, I might be able to help you.