PDA

View Full Version : Trails with Ladders

roadtripper
10-14-2014, 08:17 AM
I'm working on a list of trails that have a substantial amount of ladders/metal rungs/wooden blocks.

Have I missed any?

Maine - Beech Cliff Ladder Trail (Beech Cliffs, Acadia National Park)
Maine - Beehive Trail (The Beehive, Acadia National Park)
Maine - Ladder Trail (Dorr Mountain, Acadia National Park)
Maine - Precipice Trail (Champlain Mountain, Acadia National Park)
New Hampshire - Beaver Brook Trail (Mount Moosilauke, White Mountain National Forest)
New Hampshire - Boot Spurr Trail (Mount Washington, White Mountain National Forest)
New Hampshire - Hi-Cannon Trail (Cannon Mountain, White Mountain National Forest)
New Hampshire - Mount Morgan/Percival Loop (Mount Morgan/Mount Percival, White Mountain National Forest)
New Hampshire - Osseo Trail (Mount Flume, White Mountain National Forest)
New Hampshire - Six Husbands Trail (Mount Jefferson, White Mountain National Forest)
New Hampshire - Willey Range Trail (Mount Willey, White Mountain National Forest)
Vermont - Long Trail (Mount Mansfield, Green Mountain National Forest)

UPDATE = here is the final list > Trails with Ladders & Metal Rungs (http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/laddertrailsnewengland.php)

- Roadtripper

marty
10-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Hi Greg,
For Maine, add the AT between Grafton Notch and East B Hill Road going up and over the Baldpate peaks. There are ladders on both sides of the main summit.

Regards,
Marty

GBKDalton
10-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Maine-the north side of Baldpate on the AT has a number of rungs. There are random ladders scattered from Goose Eye mountain on the AT in Maine all the way down to Mahoosuc Notch.

peakbagger
10-14-2014, 09:06 AM
The west side of Moody Mtn on the AT in Maine has various steel rungs and ladders. I expect canines could easily bypass them and in some places I think most people do.

Amicus
10-14-2014, 09:09 AM
In addition to the Trails you listed in Acadia NP, the Jordan Cliffs Trail, on the east side of Penobscot Mtn. above Jordan Pond, also has a steep section with quite a few rungs:

http://amicus.smugmug.com/Hiking/2013/Acadia-Jordan-Cliffs-and/i-537qs8J/1/M/Acadia%20-%20Jordan%20Cliffs%20and%20Sargent%20%289-19-13%29%20015-M.jpg

Mac
10-14-2014, 09:31 AM
New Hampshire, Lion Head, Mount Washington

kerry13
10-14-2014, 09:57 AM
If I remember correctly, North Imp, Willey Range Trail, Fishin' Jimmy???. VT- Long Trail App Gap up to General Stark Mtn

IQuest
10-14-2014, 11:30 AM
The Eyebrow Tr up Old Speck has metal rungs. The Wildcat Ridge Tr up from Pinkham Notch to E Peak has a few wooden steps.

Tom Rankin
10-14-2014, 11:56 AM
Do you want NY?

Grey J
10-14-2014, 12:11 PM
I seem to remember a ladder on Twinway between Zeacliff and Guyot but it was a few years ago so maybe someone else can confirm or deny. Roadtripper, are you doing this at work?? Your secret is safe with me.

nartreb
10-14-2014, 02:03 PM
There used to be a ladder on Blueberry Ledge Trail, Mt Whiteface, NH. A decade ago I think there was still a metal rung or two to grab.

Some ladders on Israel Ridge, Mt Adams.

I do recall a very short "ladder" or two (more like wooden steps) on the twinway near the top of Zealand Mountain, where the trail is otherwise very gentle. I wouldn't call that a "substantial amount".

A few more ladders mentioned here:
http://www.trishalexsage.com/p/the-terrifying-twenty-five.html

sdways01
10-14-2014, 02:30 PM
I do recall a very short "ladder" or two (more like wooden steps) on the twinway near the top of Zealand Mountain, where the trail is otherwise very gentle. I wouldn't call that a "substantial amount".

Yes, one small wooden ladder (4-5 "rungs") not far above Zeacliff Pond. I was just there Saturday. It's not big enough to add to the list in my opinion as well.

HH1
10-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Just for the record, Beaver Brook Trail is on Mt. Moosilauke.

The Loop Trail on Tumbledown Mtn. in Maine has some wrungs, one really a stretch to reach!

Lefty E
10-14-2014, 03:29 PM
Been checking some trail descriptions on trails that have some ladders..Madison Gulf and Kenduskeag (from Shelburne Trail side) have small ladders not mentioned...Speck Pond Trail has one that is mentioned in the WMG...Peabody Brook Trail...

IQuest
10-14-2014, 07:05 PM
We might as well mention the one on the southern end of the Mt Eisenhower Loop. Most of these I would consider steps and not ladders.

Raven
10-14-2014, 09:49 PM
We might as well mention the one on the southern end of the Mt Eisenhower Loop. Most of these I would consider steps and not ladders.

Ha. Yes, good one. This is like 3-4 steps. In the interest of completeness, this could be one of end of the list.

Khumbu Icefall.

And the Hunt Trail (AT) on Katahdin (Maine). There are a few metal rungs along the route that require a good pull.

TJsName
10-15-2014, 02:41 AM
Lambert Ridge going up Smarts Mtn. Arethusa Falls has some stairs too IIRC. Nothing compares to 6 Husbands though.

Barkingcat
10-15-2014, 07:53 AM
Lambert Ridge going up Smarts Mtn.

Yes -- just past where the Lambert Ridge Trail joins with the Ranger Trail and the two coincide on to the summit, there is a wooden ladder, some rock steps, and a series of metal rungs, (1.bp.blogspot.com/-EExd8mDqNLQ/TqFZnOixcaI/AAAAAAAAPAg/nI_ATfnjMsY/s1600/smarts%2Bmountain%2Boct.%2B2011%2B068.JPG) installed in 2009 by the DOC to traverse a steep (often wet) slab.

Driver8
10-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Fishin' Jimmy Trail has quite a few ladders/wooden steps.

TJsName
10-15-2014, 04:30 PM
IIRC, Israel Ridge has some ladders between the Emerald Trail and Castle Ravine trail, but I didn't end of going that way so I've never personally done it. It was a mental note when I was looking at bailout options (ladders - fun!).

Edit: Oh, lookie here: http://www.hikethewhites.com/grayknob/ladder1.jpg

Also, I remember reading about the Sugarloaves - I think middle has/had a ladder.

Edit :And another member has a pic of this: http://dailey7779.blogspot.com/2012/10/middle-and-north-sugarloaf.html

Raymond
10-16-2014, 01:21 AM
There are several metal rungs going up a rock on Saddleback Mountain in Maine, and a metal ladder on The Horn.

sierra
10-16-2014, 08:17 AM
Seems to me, this subject should be broken down into route with stairs and routes with ladders. The reason I say that, is that my dog can climb all the stairs, but doesn't like ladders. For instance, the Willey stairs, no problem, Six Husbands trail, that is not on our radar. Just my 2 cents.

torn&frayed
10-16-2014, 09:25 AM
About a year ago I came upon an aluminum ladder leaning (un-secured) against a ledge on the A.T. in Vermont. I started that day on River Road in Killington and went north. I believe the ladder was about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile north of the campground who's name I can't remember. I had the feeling that this trail section had been recently relocated, so maybe the situation has changed since then.

JCarter
10-16-2014, 10:30 AM
There are several metal rungs going up a rock on Saddleback Mountain in Maine, and a metal ladder on The Horn.

There's a ladder on The Horn? (Pilot Range/Kilkenny Ridge Trail?), or are there 2 mountains known as The Horn? Though that would explain why it was such a PITA to get onto the summit if I missed a ladder....

sdways01
10-16-2014, 10:42 AM
There's a ladder on The Horn? (Pilot Range/Kilkenny Ridge Trail?), or are there 2 mountains known as The Horn? Though that would explain why it was such a PITA to get onto the summit if I missed a ladder....

He means Saddleback, The Horn. The second peak of the two Saddlebacks in Maine. Here (http://sdways01.smugmug.com/New-England-4K/Saddlebacks/i-HqrVNKk/0/L/SaddlebackMtns4067-L.jpg)is the ladder I believe he is talking about. And the rungs (http://sdways01.smugmug.com/New-England-4K/Saddlebacks/i-jW6nrch/0/L/SaddlebackMtns3980-L.jpg).

Raymond
10-16-2014, 11:15 AM
Correctamundo! Thanks for posting those photos.

nartreb
10-20-2014, 09:57 PM
There's also at least two ladders on the Cliff Trail on Mt Mansfield.

roadtripper
10-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Thanks to everyone who helped out!

Here is the final 'list' of trails we've all identified. Let me know if there are any edits required.
Ladder Trails (http://newenglandwaterfalls.com/laddertrailsnewengland.php)

Now just need to find some time to hike all the ones I haven't done yet....really looking forward to Six Husbands Trail and the Willey Range Trail!

Barkingcat
10-22-2014, 07:57 AM
Let me know if there are any edits required.

Just one tiny edit: it's Kinsman Mountain, not Mount Kinsman.

(Nice list.)

TJsName
10-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Seems to me, this subject should be broken down into route with stairs and routes with ladders. The reason I say that, is that my dog can climb all the stairs, but doesn't like ladders. For instance, the Willey stairs, no problem, Six Husbands trail, that is not on our radar. Just my 2 cents.

Did the Loaves on Sunday and thought about thing. I guess the distinction I would make is that ladders are usually descended facing uphill and stairs are usually done facing downhill. The set on Middle Sugarloaf would be stairs in this case.

marty
10-22-2014, 02:40 PM
Great list Greg,
For Baldpate, please add that there are multiple ladders east of the Baldpate main peak. Not sure of the number, though.

Thanks,
Marty

GuideMe
10-22-2014, 06:22 PM
There are multiple ladders/stairs on the Grafton Loop Trail. Southbound on the Western side of the trail coming off, I believe Bald Mountain, there is a series of 10 or 12 sets of steep wooden stairs.

TDawg
10-22-2014, 08:10 PM
There are multiple ladders/stairs on the Grafton Loop Trail. Southbound on the Western side of the trail coming off, I believe Bald Mountain, there is a series of 10 or 12 sets of steep wooden stairs.

Yes, close. They are on the east side of Stowe Mtn.

Mike P.
10-22-2014, 08:18 PM
Did the Loaves on Sunday and thought about thing. I guess the distinction I would make is that ladders are usually descended facing uphill and stairs are usually done facing downhill. The set on Middle Sugarloaf would be stairs in this case.

That would depend on one's ability and agilty. One man's ladder is another man's stairs. (or a woman's stairs as many of the female hikers I know have better balance than me.) The shape of the structure & terrain near by in case one slips comes into play. For the six times I've been up Middle Sugarloaf, I've probably gone down it 3X as a ladder and 3X as stairs. Had a set of stairs on Big Slide with the kids this summer but they were in rough shape so we did them as a ladder.

roadtripper
10-22-2014, 08:31 PM
Yes, close. They are on the east side of Stowe Mtn.

Are they between Stowe Mountain and Bald Mountain, or east of Bald Mountain?

TDawg
10-22-2014, 08:59 PM
Between the two. West of Bald, on the east slope of Stowe. These are definitely the stairs variety. Similar to those on the Osseo trail on Mt. Flume.

roadtripper
10-22-2014, 09:11 PM
Great, thanks. Page has been updated with a bunch of new ones mentioned on here and on the 4000-Footers facebook group as well

sdways01
10-23-2014, 08:01 AM
For the trail on Mt. Monadnock, you call it the Cliff Trail. It's actually the Cliff Walk Trail. Even without the ladder, a great trail.