PDA

View Full Version : searching by town...

bunchberry
03-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Is there a way to search VFFT members by their locations? For example, can I search the location Newton, MA (where I live) to see if there are other VFFT members who live in my town?

Warren
03-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Go to google and search using the limit search to site feature. For instance use:

newton, ma site:www.vftt.org

using site:www.vftt.org after your search term will limit the search to VFTT. Keep in mind not all folks have entered their location consistently. Note, some searches I've done this way turn up no image "archive" pages; I don't know if those contain the location.

If you're a stalker and I just helped you out I will never post here again....

bunchberry
03-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Thanks Warren! Worked perfectly.
You don't have to worry about me being a stalker :) I was just curious if I had any VFFT neighbors...turns out I do!

Neil
03-01-2005, 11:54 AM
we are all neighbors (a little spaced apart) in this wonderful VFTT family :) ;)
....harryk
Don't you mean, a little spaced out?

bunchberry
03-01-2005, 12:29 PM
harryk--

Well ain't that the truth, eh?!

Yes, it was a very long time ago (a year??) but I met you right by Carter Hut when I recognized your VFFT sticker/patch...you were solo and about to hike the Dome I think, and I took your picture. Remember?? :)

darren
03-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Warren - so now my site is a place to hand out info on how to google stalk someone, huh? cool...... :D

bunchberry - as Mayor Menino would say, I have three things to tell you: 1) it is VFTT, not VFFT :p and B) look out for that Stan guy from Newton - he stinks like Mexican agave plants :D

- darren

percious
03-03-2005, 07:20 AM
Bunchberry-
Seems to me like you are a previous lurker from your posts. What brought you out? Welcome to the boards!

-percious

bunchberry
03-03-2005, 07:57 AM
darren--
thanks for the words of wisdom...LOL...why is it that each time I try to type VFTT it comes out VFFT? Maybe you could change the site to be called "Views for forgetful tyrants" or "Views from forgotten timber" or even "Valuable foggy frozen tales"??? :)

percious--yes, i am done with lurking and ready to participate! I met some VFTTers at Sherpa John's "48" screening at the Highland Center, and then met up with some others before the Banff screening at the Somerville theatre, and now I just need to get out on the trails with all of you! I am not a very experienced winter hiker, but am excited to do more...I love snowshoeing in the Whites, but have not yet donned crampons to attempt some higher and more challenging peaks. hopefully soon...... thanks for the welcome!!

Warren
03-03-2005, 09:30 AM
Warren - so now my site is a place to hand out info on how to google stalk someone, huh? cool...... :D

Just sharing my expertise....

Stan
03-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Bob Kitteridge is also from Newton.

... and that's 100% azule agave to be precise. ;)

Bob Kittredge
03-07-2005, 02:08 PM
Harrington Street in Newtonville. You're not one of those uppity south-siders, are you?

jjmcgo
10-20-2005, 08:39 AM
grew up in West Newton, near St. Bernard's and Warren Jr. High School. Now lives near Trenton, NJ.

Jay H
10-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Is Newton, MA, next to Fig, MA? :p

Sorry, couldn't resist ;D

There is a newton, NJ in sussex county, I've always wanted to add to the mileage sign on Rt 206 (the state road that goes by Newton) like Fig 25 miles, Newton 26 miles.

Also in NJ there is the town of "wall" which is next to or near "brick"... Go figure! ExploreTheEast is by that part of Joisey...

Jay

nartreb
10-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Is Newton, MA, next to Fig, MA?

Yes, actually. The cookie (I mean the fruit-and-cake) is named for the Massachusetts town. There are persistent stories that the inventor was from there, or his first factory was there, or something like that. I've looked into this before and as far as I can tell there was a factory in Cambridge - long after Watertown had seceded from Cambridge and Newton had seceded from Watertown. But the cookie company was in the habit of naming cookies for nearby towns. Nabisco's version of the story (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a980508.html)

Several years back the town celebrated its 300th anniversary (of being renamed "Newtown") and Nabisco provided free snacks...

Go Lions!

spencer
10-31-2005, 07:05 AM
My fiance is from Newton and is a physics teacher. This past week when she began teaching Newtonian physics and it came up that she is from Newton, her kids got a real kick out of it!

it had never occured to her before. Coincidentally, we have an older friend who is from Newton and is also a physics teacher.

Maybe we are on to something?

spencer

dr_wu002
10-31-2005, 07:09 AM
My fiance is from Newton and is a physics teacher. This past week when she began teaching Newtonian physics and it came up that she is from Newton, her kids got a real kick out of it!

it had never occured to her before. Coincidentally, we have an older friend who is from Newton and is also a physics teacher.

Maybe we are on to something?

spencer
I live a town over from Newton and I have a degree in physics. There was a person in my car yesterday, eating fig newtons.

-Dr. Wu

Ridgewalker
10-31-2005, 07:10 PM
I live a town over from Newton and I have a degree in physics. There was a person in my car yesterday, eating fig newtons.

-Dr. Wu

It's a small world after all.

jjmcgo
11-02-2005, 11:02 PM
You are an uppity southsider!
Go Tigers!
Mrs. jjmcgo was a Lions majorette. Twirling flaming batons in white boots. Good hiker back in the day.