PDA

View Full Version : High Elevation Forests

TJsName
05-07-2015, 02:54 PM
Hi All,

I was wondering what people think are the highest elevation Forests in NH (both hardwood and softwood). Doesn't have to have a trail on it.

TCD
05-07-2015, 03:21 PM
I think it depends on your definition of "forest." As you go up, the forest generally tapers from tall thick woods, to short thick woods, to short scattered trees, finally to no trees. So where does the "forest" end?

weatherman
05-07-2015, 04:49 PM
Trees extend on Mt Washington up to around 5000 feet in spots out of the wind on the south/east side, all softwoods. Those would probably be the highest trees you find in New England. Tougher to say where the highest hardwoods are, because forests transition with elevation between 3000 and 4000 feet... so depends what percentage of hardwoods you are looking for.

TJsName
05-07-2015, 05:28 PM
Trees extend on Mt Washington up to around 5000 feet in spots out of the wind on the south/east side, all softwoods. Those would probably be the highest trees you find in New England. Tougher to say where the highest hardwoods are, because forests transition with elevation between 3000 and 4000 feet... so depends what percentage of hardwoods you are looking for.

I guess it doesn't have to be a giant swatch, but something at least the size of a 'stand' of hardwoods - i.e., either a grassy or leafy floor. Something like the hardwoods between the Skook and Garfield trails would count, as those seem to extend pretty high-up.

I think it depends on your definition of "forest." As you go up, the forest generally tapers from tall thick woods, to short thick woods, to short scattered trees, finally to no trees. So where does the "forest" end?

I almost clarified this in my first post, but I didn't want to be needlessly specific. :rolleyes: The standard I was thinking was definitely below the alpine zone - any where where you'd be in the trees even in late March I suppose.

I greatly appreciate anyone thinking about this enough to ask questions!

nartreb
05-07-2015, 05:45 PM
There are some sheltered gullies on the east side of Mt Jefferson, with firs up to about 5,400' . I recall one or two that had real trees (meaning, significantly taller than I am) and I'm pretty sure they were located higher than 5,000'. I don't recall any remotely respectable trees on Mt Washington above the ravines.

Hardwood, I have no idea...

sierra
05-09-2015, 11:23 AM
Maybe the Nancy, Bemis group. If I understand correctly, there is some virgin timber up there as well.

blacknblue
05-12-2015, 08:49 AM
Forests cover South Twin Mtn. nearly up to its ~4900' summit. The Twinway between there and Mt. Guyot would have to be in the running. It always seems to hold snow really late in the year, too.

TJsName
05-07-2016, 12:17 PM
The Isolation Trail, West had a stand that was around 4k'. Beautiful birch glade.

MarkJ
05-07-2016, 12:55 PM
the forest glades from Whitewall to west field come to mind. also the nice glades of birch up on Unkown pond pk

TJsName
05-07-2016, 01:21 PM
the forest glades from Whitewall to west field come to mind. also the nice glades of birch up on Unkown pond pk

I did come through those tree on the Killkenny Ridge Trail last fall. Beautiful stretch.