PDA

View Full Version : Best peak to end 4000 footer list in NH?

Bushwhack
06-08-2015, 11:35 AM
On Mount Hale the other day, I ran into a fellow hiking up his first NH 4000 footer. He asked a great question- planning ahead, what is the best one to have as your last NH 4000 footer, which one to celebrate on? I recommended against Washington because of the crowds and the parking lot. I was unsure, but tossed out these:

South twin for the isolation and views.
Carrigain for the views.
Adams for the difficulty, views, and lots of fellow hikers to share your celebration with if that is your thing.

Thoughts? Which one would you guys go with?

dug
06-08-2015, 12:12 PM
I finished on Isolation. Some finish on peaks that allow for non-hiking guests to attend (i.e. Cannon, Washington, Tecumseh, Wildcat).

I didn't necessarily plan for it that way, it just happened as I was working on a few other things, and my trips didn't always involve an unclimbed peak. Weather, my dog, other guests, physical fitness all factored into a trip at any given day. So, in the end, I had two left: Owl's Head and Isolation.

Tom Rankin
06-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Carrigain and Adams got my vote (Summer and Winter). Anything not too difficult, with views, makes a good finish peak. That way you can invite friends who are up for 'easy' hiking, but possibly not Owl's Head. :D Washington does have that 'plus' that almost anyone could be up there with you for a celebration. That was why I chose Whiteface for my 46 finish.

dailey7779
06-08-2015, 12:25 PM
I met a hiker on Saturday who was about to finish Sunday on Bondcliff. He had a perfect weather day for his finish from a beautiful peak. What it must have been like hiking from Bond, his 47th peak and descending to Bondcliff and seeing the ridge laid out ahead of him for the first time on his way to the final peak.

I finished on Carrigain, which was great. I didn't really plan it out that way from the beginning but when I had about a half dozen peaks left it was the one with the best views remaining so I then decided to save it for last.

-Chris

1SlowHiker
06-08-2015, 12:39 PM
I finished my NH48 on Isolation. I had planned to finish on Madison but when I did Isolation the week before the snow was too deep and unbroken for me so I gave up and shifted to Madison. Did Isolation a week later (I think). Wasn't a bad place for me to finish because I kind of like isolation but It wasn't quit as isolated as I would have liked it. Plan to finish my NEHH on Vose Spur this summer. So I can leave a 100/100 note in the canister :) . I may try to finish my winter 48 on Carrigain but that's probably a few winters away yet.

TEO
06-08-2015, 12:45 PM
I've never gotten hung up on which peak to finish a list on, although I do know that I'll finish the MA 3k'er list on Saddle Ball. That said, the idea of Bond as #47 & Bondcliff as #48 is pretty cool, just make sure it's a blue sky day for that one. If you want to party with friends non-hiker friends, Washington & Canon are obvious. Just remember that descending via the Huntington Ravine Trail after a couple of six packs or a couple bottles of sparkling wine may not be the wisest choice.

bikehikeskifish
06-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Bond! It's the rarest one to finish on.

Tim

Driver8
06-08-2015, 03:50 PM
I've thought of Carrigain and Moriah. Now that I think about it, though, I might just save East Osceola for last, which will make it easy to celebrate in Lincoln, which I've come to love. I tried to get it with O last August, but only had legs and time enough for the one. Grabbing the two of them together to close out sounds like a good idea. The thought of Moriah is that I will probably save Maine, or most of it, for after the Whites, and Moriah looks out toward Maine, plus is convenient for a nice dinner in Gorham after, and Moriah is done often on its own.

Stan
06-08-2015, 05:44 PM
Erik and I finished on Owls Head with some friends but that peak was pure serendipity ... We scheduled our peaks on a multitude of other factors and Owls head, as for so many other peakbaggers, was the last one. We did it in mid October and the weather was like late November ... a fine time to do a three day backpack in the Pemi Wilderness, which we otherwise enjoyed but we held off the champagne celebration until we were cozily in front of the wood stove at the Lincoln Woods visitor center ... actually, each night out was a celebration of sorts.

With us, any peakbagging list we finished was based more on being the last one standing, there being more important considerations in scheduling for us. Besides, why finish on a marvelous peak if the weather is terrible ... if it is terrible you might as well go to Owls Head!

By the way, this topic seems to come up about every 10 years so a search on VFTT would be fun for whichpeaktofinishlastonoholics ... in fact, I should check them to see if my memory of Owls Head was the same on previous threads.

Scubahhh
06-08-2015, 06:47 PM
I finished on Isolation but would recommend Moosilauke, my favorite, at night under a full moon.

Raven
06-08-2015, 06:53 PM
I finished on Moosilauke by design (at least once I had less than 20 to go). West Bond was my last winter peak, but that was the way it worked out - I had attempted it numerous times. Also a good one to finish on, so I was happy it worked out that way.

There are a lot of good options; sometimes it's fun to consider not only the final mountain, but the route as well. Finishing with a traverse or with a great route like King Ravine on Adams or Huntington's on Washington, Castle Trail on Jefferson or the Howker Ridge of Madison, etc. An over night trip, etc. I like the idea of making the last trip about the route and trip as much as the peak itself.

bikehikeskifish
06-08-2015, 07:11 PM
... it's fun to consider not only the final mountain, but the route as well. Finishing with a traverse or with a great route ...
I agree... I finished my winter list on Zealand but did the Bonds en route and it was an awesome day overall.

Tim

dailey7779
06-08-2015, 08:36 PM
What Tim and Raven said is spot on. My girlfriend Whitney finished her first round on Owl's Head, by going over Lafayette and then down the Lincoln Slide on the way over to it. I was happy to be a part of such a cool finish :)

-Chris

Driver8
06-08-2015, 08:55 PM
I finished on Isolation but would recommend Moosilauke, my favorite, at night under a full moon.

I started with Moosilauke on 5/5/12, the day of the Supermoon, which was clearing Blue Ridge as I got to my car and accompanied me all the way home through Vermont. What a special, beautiful day and night.

Mike P.
06-08-2015, 11:17 PM
It depends on who you are celebrating with and to some extent the season. Here is what I did:

In 1995 did about 1/2 of the peaks before I decided I'd do the list, had done some in Maine so I opted for the NE 65 (pre-67 but did do Spaulding) Finished New England on Moriah with my wife & Mom as the distance was fair and the climb moderate. Shared a bottle of champagne. Finished in 98 when they knew it was going to be 67 but before Spaulding & Redington were mandatory.

Round 2 in NH, finished on Cannon day after Game 3 of the ALCS in 2004. Did solo, had Dad & his wife, my wife & two young kids take the tram up. Decided since I had about 1/2 of the ADK's I'd do the 115 which meant I'd have to do Redington & I did. Leaving Dial & Nippletop as they were among the few peaks I had left with a trail & not too long. (been on 7 left for a while) Kids should be able to finish with me.

Not sure where I finished round 3. Now have just two left on the solo 48, Zealand & oddly enough, Moriah. May try & get the solo list done this month. No way I am leaving Zealand for last. Bondcliff likely to be my 48th winter if I get around to doing the last 7. Either South Kinsman or Cannon will be last in summer. Cannon was the first 4K I did with my wife but not sure I can keep the kids off of it before I do the last few in summer.

It's your list, your finish

TJsName
06-08-2015, 11:37 PM
Adams then Madison was my finish and it was great! Aside from having to go down the DW Scout trail after...

It was planned that way for years as another friend worked on his 48. Between the two of us, those were the best ones left that we both needed, so it wasn't planned from the start.

jrbren
06-09-2015, 12:25 AM
I would advise a word of caution about saving peaks. In my case I saved Haystack for last in the Adirondacks. I think there was a 2-3 year difference in between my 45th and 46 the peak because it was tough to get the friends I wanted to hike with me together and have a nice weather day at the same time. I was careful not to save a peak like that for last and have only the view of the inside of a cloud. Result was I denied myself a very nice peak for a few years. When I did finish, all I could think of was I am not finished, no way. I "did" the NH 4K peaks next and did not save anything for last. It wound up being Carter Dome, a mediocre peak by White Mountain 4K peak standards. Like the ADKs, I was not finished. As long as I can walk I hope I never am, unless I move away to other interesting mountains. I would hate to save Madison and Adams because there are so many different interesting ways to climb them.

peakbagger
06-09-2015, 08:09 AM
I didn't send in my application until I had a reasonable view from all the summits (that theoretically have a view).

I am an advocate or picking a summit where friends and family could visit, thus Wildcat D, Cannon, and Washington would all be contenders.

sdways01
06-09-2015, 11:41 AM
I ended up finishing on Bondcliff by shear chance. I did about 3/4 of the peaks in the last year of completing the list my first time through. So I hiked what I wanted and wasn't worried about where to finish. I picked peaks with views for nice days and peaks with limited or no views for cloudy days. The only hike I really had planned out was a 3 day Presidential Traverse since I needed hut reservations. As I got closer, I planned to finish with that hike (so Jackson would have been last). I thought it would be nice to finish with the entire range. A week before that I was due to hike Zealand and the Bonds (only thing left before presi range), but when I got up in the morning I didn't feel well and I decided a long hike like that was a bad choice. So shortly after my presi traverse I finished with a Bonds Traverse. It was a great hike to finish with, but was made worse than it should have been by getting sick during the hike (for some reason) which made for a slower more tiring hike out.

I have no idea what peak I finished my second round of the 48 on as it was sometime last year when I was hiking the NE67 in a single year and I didn't pay attention to it. Although now that I do think about it, I believe it was Owl's Head.

Just remember that it isn't really a finish anyways... you'll be back to hike all/most of the peaks again.

SpencerVT
06-09-2015, 12:02 PM
Of course it's a subjective matter of personal preference, but I would think Lafayette would be cool because of its centrality and views of so many other peaks/ranges. Moreover, there's not typically huge crowds up there, at least not as much as the Presidentials.

Jay H
06-09-2015, 12:06 PM
Moosilauke with Little Chair (r). :)

Jay

Daniel Eagan
06-09-2015, 12:34 PM
Of course it's a subjective matter of personal preference, but I would think Lafayette would be cool because of its centrality and views of so many other peaks/ranges. Moreover, there's not typically huge crowds up there, at least not as much as the Presidentials.

My wife and I finished the NE 111 on Lincoln and Lafayette. The peak heightened the emotions we were feeling. You're right, seeing all the other peaks meant a lot more than when we were starting out.

dug
06-09-2015, 01:18 PM

hmmm....not to quibble, but I've found Lafayette to be one of, if not the most, climbed peak. One summer day, mid-week, maybe 15 years ago, I stopped counting at 100 people and about a dozen dogs on and around the summit.

I love the peak and not saying it wouldn't be a great one, and it's often one of the few peaks that "non-hikers" I know have hiked...but if you are looking for solitude, I'd look elsewhere.

bikehikeskifish
06-09-2015, 01:40 PM
On August 9, 2013 the summit steward counted 769 people hiking to/from Lafayette. Gryffin and I were 1 of them :) Keep in mind the point of the list was to spread people out away from Franconia Ridge and the Presidentials.

Tim

Tuck
06-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Isolation in winter on my second attempt. I was alone all day. It was just perfect. Was able to stay on the summit for a nice long while and savor the trip.

Tuck

TJsName
06-09-2015, 02:47 PM
I had a friend finish last year by doing Owl's Head via the Lincoln slide (Chris and Whitney might have inspired that part), but then up to Galehead, over the Twins, Zealand, and finally the Bonds. It was a pretty epic way to go. So I guess that is one more for Bondcliff.

David Metsky
06-09-2015, 03:07 PM
I finished my first round on Isolation, alone and in the rain. It was pretty cool with me. The second round on Carrigain with friends all finishing their first round - not much for views but a great time. Third round back to Isolation for my wife's finish; no one else there and killer views. It's all good.

Grey J
06-09-2015, 04:47 PM
If I had planned it all out, I would have chosen Bondcliff which ended up being #47. For one reason or another, I never did get around to Owl's Head which I sure hope to do when I visit this summer. Without obsessing on the goal, I have stayed after it for 38 years, living in 3 different states, none of which are New Hampshire. I've probably dragged it out long enough and better finish now while I can still walk 18 miles.

Raven
06-09-2015, 06:10 PM
What Tim and Raven said is spot on. My girlfriend Whitney finished her first round on Owl's Head, by going over Lafayette and then down the Lincoln Slide on the way over to it. I was happy to be a part of such a cool finish :)

-Chris

It gets fun that way, especially on subsequent rounds. I wanted to make Galehead an exciting hike since it worked out to be the final mountain for my fourth round of the 48. I had never done a single day Pemi Loop, so I found a way to make Galehead a really fun day, a really long, really tiring, really fun day.

bikehikeskifish
06-09-2015, 06:47 PM
It gets fun that way, especially on subsequent rounds. I wanted to make Galehead an exciting hike since it worked out to be the final mountain for my fourth round of the 48. I had never done a single day Pemi Loop, so I found a way to make Galehead a really fun day, a really long, really tiring, really fun day.

Sunday, we did Owl's Head, then continued to 13 Falls, up Franconia Brook, out-and-back to Garfield, on to Galehead, and out Gale River to a spotted car . . . I know you like Owl's Head, so maybe this trip would interest you. You could go up Twin Brook from 13 Falls and skip Garfield if you wanted a shorter trip.

Tim

Raven
06-09-2015, 08:14 PM
Sunday, we did Owl's Head, then continued to 13 Falls, up Franconia Brook, out-and-back to Garfield, on to Galehead, and out Gale River to a spotted car . . . I know you like Owl's Head, so maybe this trip would interest you. You could go up Twin Brook from 13 Falls and skip Garfield if you wanted a shorter trip.

Tim

That's a good day! How was that remote stretch of Lincoln Brook? I was on Adams Sunday. And yes, I am a staunch defender of Owls Head. :)

When I did the Pemi Loop for Galehead, that was actually a fallback plan. My original plan was similar to yours but a loop - I had planned on looping over Garfield, Owls Head, and Galehead via Garfield, Garfield Ridge, Franconia Brook, Lincoln Brook, Twin Brook, Gale River Trails, etc. but it was raining hard for a couple days prior to the hike so I bailed out of fear of mud pits in that area and stuck to the ridge instead.

Driver8
06-10-2015, 01:29 AM
If I had planned it all out, I would have chosen Bondcliff which ended up being #47. For one reason or another, I never did get around to Owl's Head which I sure hope to do when I visit this summer. Without obsessing on the goal, I have stayed after it for 38 years, living in 3 different states, none of which are New Hampshire. I've probably dragged it out long enough and better finish now while I can still walk 18 miles.

I have a friend in CT who has done all but Moosilauke, which was my first. I'd enjoy, when I get to number 48, doing that one with him and others and then going to do Moose with him for his finish and my continuation. It'll be at least my third, as I've already hit the big M again.

DayTrip
06-10-2015, 06:31 AM

Hasn't been my experience. Despite the spectacular nature of the Franconia Ridge I rarely do the Franconia Ridge any more because of huge crowds. Last time I did Lafayette was a mid-October sunset hike on a SAT night and I ran into 12 people up top (thankfully I had about 20 minutes to myself before their arrival).

Mark
06-10-2015, 10:20 AM
When I got down to 8 or 9 peaks left on my list, I set Garfield aside as my final 46er. One of the Bonds would have been nice, but I knew few would have been able to join me for that trip. Garfield was not a hard hike, so other could have come along. As it turned out, it was just me and my favorite hiking partners - my two sons. Garfield turned out to be an excellent final summit. Great views of many of the other summits and a nice shelter in the old fire tower foundation to sip some celebratory single-malt!

tradigan21
06-10-2015, 11:42 AM
I would vote for Adams or Carrigain. I hiked the Direttissima last summer so I wound up finishing on Cabot, which was anticlimactic to say the least. I made the most of it though. 5229

blacknblue
06-10-2015, 12:37 PM
I had done a good 2/3 of them before I even really considered "THE 48". As a result, I had already done nearly all of the more spectacular summits. I finished the 48 on a rainy morning, solo, on Waumbek, then went over to complete my 48-solo on Cabot (which I had previously done with a friend).

I wonder how many people decide to do the 48 with little to no experience, versus those who just start hiking for whatever reason, do quite a few of them by default, and then decide to go ahead and complete the list. Those in the former camp likely end on the more spectacular summits, whereas the latter have the opposite experience.

Once I decided to finish, it still took me several years before I got around to Waumbek and Hale and a few others. I just couldn't see passing up places I wanted to go for places I 'had' to go.

blacknblue
06-10-2015, 12:40 PM

Tim

That's probably true. It makes me wonder which are the rarest of the 48 to finish, both for any-season and winter.

Maybe I'll finish my winter 48 on Bond. I got over Bondcliff once, only to find myself in the dark, in a snowstorm, and couldn't find the trail up Bond. It's one of the few remaining winter peaks, so, hmm...

Mike P.
06-10-2015, 11:39 PM
...Once I decided to finish, it still took me several years before I got around to Waumbek and Hale and a few others. I just couldn't see passing up places I wanted to go for places I 'had' to go.

I agree, as I was finishing round two I had noticed I had done almost all in spring or fall, so I opted for all four seasons. The solo list & solo hiking was more because I was tired of people backing out.

To balance the grid with places I wanted to go, I created my shorter grid list and only listed 29 of the 48 I wanted to do each month. Some with good views but also some of the easier ones as it may take a while. I have a few done in eight months, some duplicates, the list is more of a where to go this month. Without a list, of all the peaks I go to, I've only done Greylock in all 12 months. (took 16x + have 4 duplicates) I've been to Monadnock 22X but never in August. Even my State's highest Mt, 16X but just in six months.

Now, some places just make more sense to go at certain times of the year. For those who prefer hiking in daylight & don't have Chris D. speed, long hikes are best done when there is a lot of sun, six or seven weeks either side of the Summer Solstice.

TJsName
06-11-2015, 09:01 AM

Tim

Using that reasoning (who does Bond without doing West Bond or Bondcliff first) I would think North Kinsman is also a very rare finishing peak, as the Kinsmans are done predominantly from the northern approaches.

Mike P.
06-11-2015, 11:17 AM
Using that reasoning (who does Bond without doing West Bond or Bondcliff first) I would think North Kinsman is also a very rare finishing peak, as the Kinsmans are done predominantly from the northern approaches.

I agree, North Kinsman would probably be the rarest unless you had done all but the two of them and decided to do a weekend on that section of AT in order to do the NH section of trail.

With the Bonds, weather could keep you off all three, We got as far as Bondcliff before thunder and sleet drove us back into the woods before going back the year after with Dave. (that may have been the reason, not to fail doing it two years in a row) Wasn't my first time but my friend Gary never went back for the other two.

bikehikeskifish
06-11-2015, 11:25 AM
I agree that it is difficult to have South Kinsman without having North Kinsman. I would assume, perhaps incorrectly, that more people leave the Bonds for the end than the Kinsmans, so if you get into a scenario where you abort at West Bond or Bondcliff, that favors Bond.

Tim

TJsName
06-11-2015, 01:20 PM
I agree that it is difficult to have South Kinsman without having North Kinsman. I would assume, perhaps incorrectly, that more people leave the Bonds for the end than the Kinsmans, so if you get into a scenario where you abort at West Bond or Bondcliff, that favors Bond.

Tim

The aborted Bond attempt (from either end) would leave the possibility of finishing on Bond. I'm guessing there are more of Bond attempts (resulting in either W. Bond or Bondcliff) than S-N Kinsman traverse attempts ( resulting in S. Kinsman). I would also think that anyone purposely saving a finishing peak would be more likely to save the Bonds vs the Kinsmans. Given how accessible the Kinsmans are, I would also suspect the S. Kinsman is not very high in the rankings for one's finishing peak (although it is quite a nice peak!) just based on convenience. That is assuming most peak-baggers are coming from the south, which might not be accurate. :)

It's fun to think about!

alexmtn
06-12-2015, 10:49 AM
I agree that it is difficult to have South Kinsman without having North Kinsman...

Just don't scramble up NK's summit boulder until you're ready to 'have' the peak. :-)

bikehikeskifish
06-12-2015, 12:37 PM
Just don't scramble up NK's summit boulder until you're ready to 'have' the peak. :-)

Yeah, well here's a related anecdote on that subject.

I wanted to finish both the NE67 and NE100 on the same peak at the same time. I went to Baxter with 6 peaks to go. Due to weather considerations and the desires of my companions, we did the two Katahdin peaks the first day, leaving me only North Brother to complete both lists as I desired. So, I stayed as low as possible, skirting the woods/talus when crossing North Brother on the way to Fort. The rules say you can only count the peak once per trip, even if you go over and back, so I thought it was cool to put Fort at #99 and North Brother at #100. Eric Savage did question it, asking how I got to Fort w/o going over North Brother. I got the feeling I was breaking some unwritten rule :)

Tim

TJsName
06-12-2015, 01:33 PM
Yeah, well here's a related anecdote on that subject.

I wanted to finish both the NE67 and NE100 on the same peak at the same time. I went to Baxter with 6 peaks to go. Due to weather considerations and the desires of my companions, we did the two Katahdin peaks the first day, leaving me only North Brother to complete both lists as I desired. So, I stayed as low as possible, skirting the woods/talus when crossing North Brother on the way to Fort. The rules say you can only count the peak once per trip, even if you go over and back, so I thought it was cool to put Fort at #99 and North Brother at #100. Eric Savage did question it, asking how I got to Fort w/o going over North Brother. I got the feeling I was breaking some unwritten rule :)

Tim

Haha - that's great! You could have pulled a Patriots and just declared yourself ineligible before reaching the summit, although that loophole has now been closed.

alexmtn
06-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Eric Savage did question it, asking how I got to Fort w/o going over North Brother. I got the feeling I was breaking some unwritten rule :)

As Eric puts it: It's a game, and games have [written] rules. If you hadn't flipped those peaks, you wouldn't have had the 'capstone' finish you desired, and your approach to doing so was fully compliant. And what fun is a game if you don't try out all the moves? :-)

TomK
06-12-2015, 08:13 PM
I got the feeling I was breaking some unwritten rule :)

Tim

Might have just been sore they didn't think of it first :)

TomK

bikehikeskifish
06-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Might have just been sore they didn't think of it first :)

TomK

Yeah, or one of them is the only (other) one to do it ;)

Tim

Willoughby
06-13-2015, 07:07 PM
I finished on Garfield, because I wanted a view into the Pemi and also into Northern VT (towards my namesake). I made that choice when I was about 2/3 through. Did the hike with a friend (Diapensia) and we had dramatic views of the clouds in the Pemi... never saw South Twin and as I remember Vermont was just a rumour. Still a great day.

By the way, I split the Bonds: Bondcliff from the south, then Zealand-West Bond-Bond from the north. I had hiked Bondcliff several times before I ever did a traverse. Most of my hikes are solo and so car-spotting isn't an option... in fact I did the traverse by hiking from Lincoln Woods to Galehead hut the first day, then coming back to the car over Galehead-S Twin-W Bond-Bond-Bondcliff. A long, tiring, exhilirating day!

I'm 75% through a second round (although some of the 4Ks I've hiked 4 times) and I know which peak I want to finish on... but I'll report on that here when I finish. And maybe I'll finally get around to sending my paperwork to the committee!

bcskier
06-17-2015, 12:01 PM
I finished on Garfield, because I wanted a view into the Pemi and also into Northern VT (towards my namesake). I made that choice when I was about 2/3 through. Did the hike with a friend (Diapensia) and we had dramatic views of the clouds in the Pemi... never saw South Twin and as I remember Vermont was just a rumour. Still a great day.

By the way, I split the Bonds: Bondcliff from the south, then Zealand-West Bond-Bond from the north. I had hiked Bondcliff several times before I ever did a traverse. Most of my hikes are solo and so car-spotting isn't an option... in fact I did the traverse by hiking from Lincoln Woods to Galehead hut the first day, then coming back to the car over Galehead-S Twin-W Bond-Bond-Bondcliff. A long, tiring, exhilirating day!

I'm 75% through a second round (although some of the 4Ks I've hiked 4 times) and I know which peak I want to finish on... but I'll report on that here when I finish. And maybe I'll finally get around to sending my paperwork to the committee!

I think you ought to go with Willoughby's suggestion. He was the 48th reply to your question.

NorthShore
06-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Owls Head gets a bum wrap. I did Owls Head towards the end, but it was not my finish. The weather started a little wet and ended halfway decent, but it was a great day and a great hike. If that had been the finish, it would have been an awesome finishing memory.

My finish was on Moosilauke on a beautiful day with a sizeable group of friends. We avoided the crowds (except for the summit) by taking Beaver Brook both ways. That was a very nice finish, but I can't say that Owls Head wouldn't have been just as good.

Any one of the peaks could be ideal for the finish...it depends on your perspective (and also on the weather :) )

...Besides, why finish on a marvelous peak if the weather is terrible ... if it is terrible you might as well go to Owls Head!

summitseeker
06-19-2015, 09:14 PM
Owls Head gets a bum wrap. I did Owls Head towards the end, but it was not my finish. )

Hi Northshore,

I haven't seen you since flags on the 48, but I can guess that a lot of people would agree that OH doesn't get the accolades it deserves.

That being said, there is a pretty recurring theme with it being towards the end of people's list as they finish. The low hanging fruit is usually picked first. ;)

In my experience on the first round it was Cabot, Owl's Head, and the Bonds that got checked off nearly last. Ultimately I finished my 48 on Carrigain on a day with no views, lol. IMHO the only "bad" peak to finish on is one that is unsafe under the current conditions at that time. I wouldn't want to finish on a Northern Presi if the forecast was dangerous, but as always, to each their own.

Z :D

bikehikeskifish
06-20-2015, 07:38 AM
On Z's point, it is a good idea to plan the end game to include a few nice weather peaks along with a few not-as-nice weather peaks. More important in winter, and more so if you are doing a single season winter 48 (or have a time constraint such as moving out of New England, or returning to school, or what have you.)

Tim

dug
06-20-2015, 09:32 AM
Owl's Head was 2nd to last for me. Personally, I think it deserves the rap it gets! :)

Grey J
06-28-2015, 06:08 PM
As I understand the directions to Owl's Head are as follows;
Walk forever, get your feet wet, turn right on the unmarked trail, and when you reach the summit, continue on to the summit.

RichS
06-28-2015, 11:05 PM
As I understand the directions to Owl's Head are as follows;
Walk forever, get your feet wet, turn right on the unmarked trail, and when you reach the summit, continue on to the summit.

From one who's been to the summit twice, but never been to the summit, these directions resonate.

As to the best peak to finish, the 48th is the best! And anti-climactic. If it's easy, invite friends. If not, take a selfie and call someone if your cell phone works there!