PDA

View Full Version : swiss bob ?s

kdk1610
03-13-2005, 08:23 AM
i was very jealous yesterday when i saw how easily 3 guys slid down crane mountain on swiss bobs. sooo, i just ordered one.

any advice on where to use them (which high peaks have you used them on)? any advice on what is considered ideal "bobbing" conditions? any advice on technique: especially speed control, stopping, turning?

thanks in advance,

dave

Nadine
03-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Popular apres ski activity in France after sunset. Most of the villages have a small illuminated hill where you can go for an evening sled. Must be challenging after a few beers though :D

SherpaKroto
03-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Must be challenging after a few beers though :D
Nah, piece of cake :eek:

dr_wu002
03-13-2005, 07:37 PM
i was very jealous yesterday when i saw how easily 3 guys slid down crane mountain on swiss bobs. sooo, i just ordered one.

any advice on where to use them (which high peaks have you used them on)? any advice on what is considered ideal "bobbing" conditions? any advice on technique: especially speed control, stopping, turning?

thanks in advance,

dave
I've used mine a bunch of times this winter. They're really easy to control and work in just about any type of snow so long as you have a good slope to maintain speed. Control is simple and they're very maneuverable: pull up on the handles to brake and stop and I use handles and my snowshoes (which are small MSR ones) as rudders to steer.

One thing though -- you get completely soaked when going down trails with lots of powder. And, you typically crash a lot and eventually, getting up with a winter pack -- struggling in deep snow -- can get pretty exhausting. They're a load of fun though. I take mine just for the fun aspect!

-Dr. Wu